Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Laptop sat nav memory map

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
busaboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 22:42    Post subject: Laptop sat nav memory map Reply with quote

Right then people, been trawling all over for a decent sat nav that can display OS maps.
Correct me if i'm wrong but the winner so far is............ a dell laptop from dell with all the bells and whistles for about £275 - £375 and a subscription or download from memory map as they seem to be the best for not only the mapping but being able to save/print/create routes and this option is cheaper than many leading brand stand alone sat navs. Plus you still have a laptop for wifi etc.
I use tomtom for the road after trying many over the years and would not use anything else.

So the main questions are:
1. Is this the best option?
2. Does memory map do overseas.....Tunisia etc?
3. How do i get the laptop to pick up a GPS signal? Not against the idea of a mounted ariel on the car.
4. Any decent mounting systems for the laptop in the car?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 22:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

while a laptop is simple, I find it cumbersome.

Why not put a PC under the seat / boot etc and bolt a monitor to your dash. IIRC, you have an 80 (wait, says so in your sig Smile ) Look at wildsmith's pc mount. Much easier than the 120.

Touch screen so mouse not needed, as for keyboard I use this: Bluetooth keyboard It's the size of your hand and works well.

GPS, you can use any number of them, I ended up using a BT one at first but bought one of these: GPS
The idea was that the external antenna would mount to the roof. Currently it is on the dash and gives no problems.

As for maps, the other chaps would be better at answering. I have memory map and Garmin nRoute. There are a number of websites out there that allow you to download maps for garmin. So far, I have most of europe, north africa and some asia. All free, non of them on a "permanent" trial basis. Not sure about getting 3rd party memory maps working with memory map itself.

All in, the PC and bits should come in under £200-£250.
busaboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do garmin do maps to use on other peoples devices then?
Looking like memery map is the winner but they don't do north africa.
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracks-4-Africa do, well, Africa maps. Gary will tel you more about them.

You can make your own maps or convert maps to use in memory map. Open Street Map has a number of convertors out there to convert their files to MM.

Admittedly though, garmin does seem to be the winner with it.

Others may prove me wrong with good map sources?

Why not use both? Wink
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh - mapping - what fun.

Tracks-4-Africa are great - plug in to Garmin MapSource and upload to your favourite Garmin device - good for that or if you run MapSource on a PC in real-time mode.  T-4-A gives you tracks and waypoinst though - you do need a base map.

For something a bit more splendiferous, you can use OziExplorer which lets you scan in ANY map and calibrate it.  You can then upload to your favourite GPS device - more than just Garmin supported.  I haven't played with it for a while, but it is good.  I have a load of Russian Military Maps for North Africa and Europe in that  Shocked  OziExplorer

Fugawi used to be quite good too - always loved the name - but haven't seen too much of them recently.  But they are active:  Fugawi

I use MemoryMap for UK, but will go to either MapSource or Fugawi or (probably) OziExplorer for North Africa, with Tracks-4-Africa loaded on top.

HTH
busaboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, oziexplorer looks great, what a good idea Smile
I think its going to be memory map for the uk and oziexplorer for everywhere else, now the hunt is for a suitable setup in  the truck to run it. Don't really want full size pc or tablet but do want to run full windows, would be nice to have wifi and music in it too, could even run the cam into it as well i suppose.
Guess i know where the carputor boys are coming from now as never really thought i would need that much computing power in a car.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - that's why I'm still pushing ahead with my 'carputer', although at the moment I'm leaning towards making a bracket that'll fit the driver's or passenger's seat back and slip my notebook in there, going to a USB bus on the centre console running a usb / wireless backlit keyboard / trackball combo, and a touchscreen on a RAM mount up front somewhere...

Take a feed from there to the amplifier for iTunes music, videos etc, and a feed back into the ICE DVD player for music, videos etc. ...  

Then I'll just move into the truck full time  Wink  Laughing  Laughing

Last edited by garystockton on Tue Dec 01, 2009 17:27; edited 1 time in total
busaboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just doing a quick search and found this

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/15211/mobile-computer/

or this

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1356
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also see some of the stuff we covered here:

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4829

and here:

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6001

May help on the leg-work stuff...
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

busaboy wrote:
Just doing a quick search and found this

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/15211/mobile-computer/

or this

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1356

Both are nice but suspect very over priced? Putting your own in is simple enough and so far, touch wood, I have weeded out the problem items. On version 3 of everything so far.

My main issue with items like those is when something breaks (the tablet would most certainly give up soon enough if always in a 4x4) then you at the mercy of the manufacturer. A home brew one, I can get spares from tesco.

Of course there is the "don't know how / could not be bothered" side of it as well.

Memory map also supports a scanned map which is then calibrated. Image has to be png and MM will happily accept it.

As for mounts, see JW post about his screen. The older / larger LCs have nicely accessible steal bits behind the dash to fit a sturdy mount. The 120 is not so lucky. Too many wires / plastic bits. I wonder how the 150 will do? Smile
Until further notice, I am stuck with my wobbly goose neck which is about 60% ok. Not ideal but until I get some welding skills + time, it'll do.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just having a play with an Asus T91 at the moment to see if it's at least good enough to have as a spare carputer but might be just the ticket to be the full time one. It's about the size and weight of a 10" monitor and in tablet mode could fool you into thinking that's what it is. Been too busy with other stuff to do much with it plus now Jessica has nicked it but the main thing I want to test is how the shiny screen does outdoors.

I did an 80 series monitor mount a while ago but it was for the older style dash.

Re 120 mounts, do you want to re-book your train for a few weeks later Gary  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

busaboy wrote:
Wow, oziexplorer looks great, what a good idea Smile
I think its going to be memory map for the uk and oziexplorer for everywhere else, now the hunt is for a suitable setup in  the truck to run it. Don't really want full size pc or tablet but do want to run full windows, would be nice to have wifi and music in it too, could even run the cam into it as well i suppose.
Guess i know where the carputor boys are coming from now as never really thought i would need that much computing power in a car.

How about usinga  setup like mine, you should be able to get something like it from e bay.

I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-28 running Memory Map, a bluetooth GPS antenna and a wireless touchscreen Panasonic display (although you could use a wired touchscreen one - you can get ones that take VGA and USB inputs for the screen and the touchscreen),

By using this you have the benefit of a full laptop that you can remove from the vehicle plus the ability to serve maps to a display in the cab. The Panasonic wireless display is pretty good, is daylight readable and has a battery life of about 1 1/2 hours off the power. As it uses wireless LAN to drive the display it works from a reasonably long distance away from the laptop - further than bluetooth anyway.

Laptop should cost you around £200, I got my wireless display for around £150 although they are rare at that price. I also got a car docking station for less than £50 although this isn't essential it does give you a solid place to put it in the vehicle.

You can also then do anything else that windows does like email, documents, running music through the stereo (if it has an aux in).

I have to install this again in my new vehicle but it worked well in the 80 series.

Best thing about the Toughbook is you can't break them and they are immensly reliable and very customisable - internal bluetooth, USB 2 mods etc are all possible with a thriving user community. Most of the Armies and Police forces can't be that wrong - it is the setup of choice for operational use.
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
I'm just having a play with an Asus T91 at the moment to see if it's at least good enough to have as a spare carputer but might be just the ticket to be the full time one. It's about the size and weight of a 10" monitor and in tablet mode could fool you into thinking that's what it is. Been too busy with other stuff to do much with it plus now Jessica has nicked it but the main thing I want to test is how the shiny screen does outdoors.

I did an 80 series monitor mount a while ago but it was for the older style dash.

What's the appeal? You end up with all manner of cables hanging from the unit instead of the other option where the monitor is the only cable visible.

Having a laptop / tablet up there you have a GPS, perhaps keyboard / trackball cable, power cable. never mind it's weight, the fact that it will get stolen as it has value (normal touch screen not immune but less likely? Here's hoping anyway as I never remove mine.), a much heavier item to bolt to the dash than a simple monitor etc etc

The option of having a pc under the seat / back panel somewhere with all the cables hidden seems better?
My case is the size of a largish book and is currently under the passenger seat. (http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12488) I have found a home for it in the rear panel next to the jack.
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the toughbooks not a huge slouch though? I know you cannot really fault them on ruggedness but heard lots of moans about being really slow.

Guess if all you doing is maps etc, it is ok.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:
What's the appeal?

Have you tried showing someone else something interesting on your map yet, or had them show you, or wanted to look over the places you've been / are going without having to sit in your car? The fixed screen and PC is great for driving but not very handy out of the car  Laughing  I would just network the car pc and t91 so they exchange data and I can move away from the drivers seat to do computer things if I want.

Crispin wrote:
You end up with all manner of cables hanging from the unit instead of the other option where the monitor is the only cable visible.

Just a USB cable and a power cable, that's all. The USB cable would be connected to a hub and the GPS can connect to that along with anything else more permanent. No need for a keyboard, just open up the display to reveal the keyboard. It's touch screen anyway so no more need for keyboard and mouse than the existing pc.

Crispin wrote:
never mind it's weight, the fact that it will get stolen as it has value

Similar weight to a monitor, has a kensington type lock point on it which my monitor doesn't have and looks about the same as my monitor unless you're sitting in front of it already!

I'm not saying it's a solution I'll go with, I'm saying there are a lot of things about it that would seem to fit the needs and it's relatively cheap brand new so I'm having a play  Wink

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: