4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

spare rear diff anyone?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 0:04    Post subject: spare rear diff anyone? Reply with quote

e bay item 140355874731

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 0:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical. Bit late for me. I have asked what ratio it is. This would also fit an 80 front then I guess?
C
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the EPC it's 3.9 for a 120. Your 90 is 4.1 isn't it or I'd have pm'd you instead  Wink  No good for the front of an 80, gears are cut the wrong way.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. Gotcha.

No I think mine is a 4.3

It would have been nice to be able to swap front and back for something a bit longer if truth be told. The 5th gear is simply not high enough on the motorway for any kind of economy.

C
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even less use to you then LC  Laughing  You'd probably be able to get some 4.56's for yours from just differentials.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

All a bit late for me Jon. Once Customs have finished messing around with my consignment, I might get the rear diff at the same time as the front one coming from Oz!

Sigh

C
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's a 3.9.
Must have been an LC3 to have a locker fitted. If it's got the locker on too, that's worth £300 at least

C
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm - OK - I'd need to get all the actuator gubbins and switches etc. too, wouldn't I?

Is it worth it, or is an ARB locker better in the long run?
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you would need the gubbins. The motor has to be fired and then know when to stop. A simple wired in switch just would not work. You would also need the whole axle too so that you could mount the motor. This is just the diff part. Going with an ARB means that you're not reliant on electrickery at all. But do you need it? Now if you have the money, and you could get it for the right price, it would be worth having the crown and pinion in your shed for sure! Anything less than say £350 would probably be a bargain.

C
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will pass on that then.  If I do a LC or Rubie, I'll go for an ARB  Laughing

Once I get up from being decked by SWMBO, of course  Laughing  Laughing
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actuator attaches to the diff so you shouldn't need the rest of the axle. The wiring is very simple, all the detection of end stops etc is built into the wiring on the actuator so a switch and a couple of relays will work (that's all the diff lock ecu is anyway). At the right price it would be a cheap locker. A well set up ARB should be a bit stronger because it will allow less ring gear deflection but that's about £500 + compressor + carrier install and doesn't get you a spare gear set  Laughing

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite Jon - the 4x4 ECU also ties into the ABS system. You would also need to prevent it from coming in at any other time than you needed it. Plus you'd need to rig up to the locked sensor to make sure that it wasn't locked when you fired the unlock position. But of course the locker fits into the diff housing. Had a brain flip there Jon. And to think how many hours I have spent under there!! Well caught. I'd still go with an air locker though.
But if you do an LC or an IDR, you'd STILL need the ring and pinion. The locker does not replace those parts.
G has a compressor already.
NightStalker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda wonder if Vette might be interested as taking this as a spare on his trip south....

Regards
Rob
Cool
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ABS is usually disabled when the centre diff is locked, doesn't wait for axle lockers to be engaged which is just as well in an ARB install because that doesn't interface to the ABS either  Wink  The locked sensor, only engaging with the centre diff locked, etc would be handled by the couple of relays I mentioned. The OEM 'ECU' is just a few logic gates and the wiring to replace it really is very straight forward and somewhere on the www there are even wiring diagrams for doing OEM e-locker installs  Very Happy A little grinding might be needed on the locker side of the casing to let the locking collar through BTW.

If you have the spare cash then ARB's should be better but they're an expensive option.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the case, having a spare diff would be handy. The ABS is linked to the rear locker on a 90/120 series, not the CDL. You could as you point out, get around most of this with switches etc, but I really think that one button and an air locker would be much less complicated. I still like the security of not being able to engage the locker unless the conditions are right. The thought of knocking the switch whilst going round a corner doesn't sound like fun. There are much less places on a 90 / 120 for putting things like switches. The later series were never really designed with heavy customisation to be easy. Can you engage your locker at any time Jon or is there any way that they are restricted? There are other bits linked to the system on the 90 (and maybe the 120) where the locker is linked to the engine management system and the limp home mode. I know because I had a problem with this on my LWB. It used to drop the revs whilst I was blasting down the motorway. Interesting deceleration! On the auto, it knocked off the overdrive too. I have never found the 4x4 ECU. It says it's in the back somewhere.

C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: