Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

European engine oil technology

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
120man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:25    Post subject: European engine oil technology Reply with quote

Now here is a very informative linky:

http://www.lubrizol.com/EuropeanEngineOils/default.html

The Relative Performance Tool is very useful in showing in clear form the relative strengths of oils by refernce to spec. What I take from that is something that confirms the conclusion I had already come to: if you want an oil that gives the best performance against sludge and soot thickening then a product conforming to the Mercedes Benz MB229.51 spec seems to be the one to go for
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

leon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to change my oil every 3k miles or min of 6 months ( i know its mebe not needed but a man and his truck time etc ) so not realy a problem
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
Huw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend uses MB228.5 oil in his D4D LC90 and changes it every 10,000 to 15,000 miles if he remembers. I use the same oil, which might now be the emissionised version [228.51?] in my LC100 with 1-HD FTE and change it every 10,000 miles. Mine is coming up to 150,000 miles and like new. His is at 120,000, chipped, and sounds like a bag of nails but he swears it is no worse now than new.......what do I know?
Its very expensive oil and not really worth it at the change intervals I use. Probably worth it for him as he is so haphazard with maintenance, having too many fish to fry.
120man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huw wrote:
My friend uses MB228.5 oil in his D4D LC90 and changes it every 10,000 to 15,000 miles if he remembers. I use the same oil, which might now be the emissionised version [228.51?] in my LC100 with 1-HD FTE and change it every 10,000 miles. Mine is coming up to 150,000 miles and like new. His is at 120,000, chipped, and sounds like a bag of nails but he swears it is no worse now than new.......what do I know?
Its very expensive oil and not really worth it at the change intervals I use. Probably worth it for him as he is so haphazard with maintenance, having too many fish to fry.

The .x1 versions of all of the MB specced oils have a shorter service life than the .x because they have fewer anti-wear additives.

When MB started out on the ASSYST system these oils were said to last up to 20,000 miles and the vehicle would tell you when it wanted a change thanks to oil quality sensors. Cue warranty claims by the score because some of the spanner operators and bean counters at MB dealerships could not tell the difference in oil specs and that was said to be the cause of engine death by oil sludging (sound familiar?)

So now they default to the highest spec oil (for which you will be charged a vast sum) and the ASSYST system has been tweaked so the engine CPU counts down from 20,000km, i.e 12,500 miles. I am told the effect on the the oil caused by the high rates of EGR required to meet EU4 and 5 standards in diesels is much worse than was anticipated. Progess eh?
Huw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I also run an Audi Q7 diesel which meets current emission standards and has cooled egr and all that jazz. So far its engine oil changes have been at an average of 16,000 miles. When I had my Mercedes it did start counting down from 12,000 miles but it could count either way and within 2000 miles of an oil change it had counted up to 13000 giving a total between services of an average of 15,000 in my hands. Hope that makes sense.

In the LC I tend to use heavy duty engine oil in the 228 mb sequence rather than the light duty 'multifleet' oils from the 229 sequence.
My current choice is Morris Ring Free Ultra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: