Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

waste engine oil?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mick the digger!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 0:34    Post subject: waste engine oil? Reply with quote

As it says anyone ever run on a waste engine oil diesel mix??
done a bit of research on this and old merc diesels will run fine on it....will a 100?
have nearly 800 litres of the stuff....
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 0:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

davey b
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this would be interesting......

May have to be careful about all the H&S, tax, emissions, carcinogenic implications Rolling Eyes
mick the digger!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

davey b wrote:
Now this would be interesting......

May have to be careful about all the H&S, tax, emissions, carcinogenic implications

do a google search on running a diesel on waste engine oil, people have been doing it for years!
you can buy heaters that run on waste engine oil, they are epa certifed and they run at much lower temprtures than diesel engines Wink
also you can produce 2500 liters a year of bio-diesel from waste cooking oil without any tax impications....how could waste engine oil differ?
ran one of my G wagens today for about 50 miles on 50/50 diesel waste oil mix...no noticeable smoke.
its was doe tested 2weeks ago on pure diesel and ive have the emmission readings for it, in the next few days im going to get them to test the emmissions on the waste oil diesel mix and compare the readings.
still not sure about the 100?? how much electrics are in them? and would it confuse them Confused
think Ill just give it a go!
davey b
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to stop you, oil is oil in a compression ignition engine!

There might be a need for some extra filtration prior to putting it in the injection pump and injectors. The other bits are just considerations

I run an 80 so I don't have any electronics to worry about.  I didn't think that common rail injection came in until the 120 series or D4-D.  Those pumps run very high pressures so may have issues, but I think the 100 should be ok.

I tend to mix all oils in the waste oil tin - EP, ATF, Motorcycle - and probably the bad bit - brake fluid, so I may take better care in future.

Keep up the info I may follow you into the breach
mick the digger!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first batch I done just used some cheese cloth to filter it, as its been sitting in 200ltr barrels for years so any water debris etc will be in the bottom, so didnt pump it out right from the bottom.
have ordered some 75 mircron sock type filters that hold 20ltrs so hang them up over a clean bucket and let it drain over night.
btw would worry about atf, alot of guys in the US seem to run used atf mixed with diesel!
personally I think it would need to be ran through a 1 micron filter (hydraulic oil filter Idea )to get rid of any alluminumum particals that would be in used atf!
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mick,

You might want to consider a much finer filter than that.

I used to use 5 micron, or 10 micron,

I used to use the 0inch 'big blue' filters into which I could put different grade filters.
I had it on a 're-circ' system in my garage, it would pull out of the bottom of a 200 liter blue plastic drum, through a 'T' peice with 2 valves, and then through 2 of the 24 inch 'big blue' filters, the first filter was, I think, 25 micron, then right behind that was a 5 or 10 micron,

http://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-150233-HD-Filter-Housing.asp

This would happily be pumped in a closed loop, back into the drum.
When I wanted to 'fill the tank, it was a matter of turning the 2 valves so the re-circ stopped, and the flow, went through a liter counting meter, and finally through a 1 micron hydraulic oil filter, disposable canister, which never got blocked incidently.
I had a 1 inch hose connecting this lot all together,i could simply, 'zero' th liters meter, and just pump in what i wanted, normally about 70 liters.

I will snap a few images.

'vette
mick the digger!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the pointers vette!! Very Happy
just want to make sure it will work first before setting it up with barrels and filters etc (money lol)
look forward to your pictures!
as for diesel/waste oil mixture ratio, some say 50/50 others say just in very cold times this amount and all other times between 70/30 and 80/20, is there any way of measuring viscosity??
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

mick the digger! wrote:
thanks for the pointers vette!! Very Happy
just want to make sure it will work first before setting it up with barrels and filters etc (money lol)
look forward to your pictures!
as for diesel/waste oil mixture ratio, some say 50/50 others say just in very cold times this amount and all other times between 70/30 and 80/20, is there any way of measuring viscosity??

I only went to 25% with my 120 LC.
And that was using new oil.
I must say, there was no difference in power, but the engine did run much smoother

Because i am using new oil, I dont need the twin filter set up, so thats why it is not hooked up just now.
My son has a Surf, and he uses all sorts of oil, so we use the twin filters housings, and a 75 micron, then a 5 micron, then finally the hydraulic oill canister.
Never any dirt or problems

'vette
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good way of getting rid of the waste engine oil after changing it rather than having to run it down the dump and risking it getting all over the carpet.
mick the digger!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an up date, ive been running the 100 on 50/50 mix of waste engine oil diesel for the last couple of weeks! done about 1500kms runs fine, a little bit smokey from cold!
Im building a filter rig next week using an old copper cylinder will throw up a few pictures when its done.
will i be looking for a new injection pump in a few weeks..... Confused  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
rockall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 19:52    Post subject: Waste Engine Oil Reply with quote

Mick

1997 Colorado

Mick - Great idea - interested to see and hear how your 'poitin stil' works out. (For those who havent heard of Poitin - Google!!)
Actually thinking about the whole concept - is this not the ultimate form of recycling - no extra transport, factory or labour costs to clean and recycle the waste oil.  In addition as you will already have paid Income Tax (approx 50%) on the money used to purchase the oil and VAT (21% here) on the oil itself surely the tax situation is quite clear cut !!
Agree that adequate filtration is necessary. Many years ago I converted some cars to diesel - 2.1 Renault turbo diesel engine and manual gearbox into the luxury V6 Automatic Renault 25. These were not cheap conversions and my clients were quite particular so as an extra I used to fit an auxillary remote bypass micronic filter for the engine oil. I used a semi synthetic oil at the time and had acess to getting the oil professionally analysed - the results proved the filter product without any shadow of doubt. The kit was manufactured or sold by Kleenoil, I used to purchase my kits and spare filters from a distributor in Northern Ireland. I will look them up during the week to see if their system is still around.  My thoughts are that this concept - using waste engine- has been looking at a lot of us in the face - like Mick I have a regular supply of waste oil  - less now with the recession!! I am thinking of a small pump and filter and then pumping the clean finished product directly into the diesel storage tank. where it can mix.  Obviously keen to hear what the recommended dosage percentage rate is if anybody has the technical background.

I have got older and lazyier !! - Now I just run a full synthetic engine oil (Millers) and change between 12 and 15,000 miles - no problems to date and passed the 363,000 mile mark last week.  Ultimately when this lady retires, at approx 500,000 miles, I hope to treat myself to am Amazon which will probably see me out and as I still have a Keenoil system here I will stick it on.

Incidentally does anybody know of, or can recommend, a suitable long range tank conversion available to suit  a 97 Colorado - new or secondhand - I want it as a plumbed in unit - no seperate filler.

Regards
Bill
gordini911

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 21:59    Post subject: Waste Oil Reply with quote

This sounds interesting.I can get free waste oil and a 50/50 mix =50mpg in a landcruiser.Their must be down sides. Do we have any experts on the site that can tell us about the long term effects on the engine.If it is this good why is it not taken up commercially.

Regards Keith.
vxtd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes waste oil does work on an older indirect injected engine, dont expect the extra carbon to do much for your injector nozzles, valves etc.
vxtd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

also waste oil is very very acidic, long term issues with injector pumps i can imagine not so bad on a 205 diesel sh*tter!
Boff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 19:45    Post subject: Re: Yellow stone diesel parts plant is one of the leading ma Reply with quote

yellowstonepart wrote:
Yellow stone diesel parts plant is one of the leading manufacturers
of engine parts, in particular diesel fuel injection system
accessories for replacement, such as Fuel injection Nozzle, Plunger and
Delivery valve, ETC  In south of china .

for more detail please visit our website : yellowstonediesel    
dieselinjection

Yellow stone diesel parts plant was founded in 1997.Over the years,
Yellow stone  has grown and gained a reputation for producing
high quality products and delivering them on time.

I wonder if anyone has got experience of running their vehicle on waste Spam Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: