Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New 150 series

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - maybe meant 'You must be Joking' - Leon Schuster (I think) or Jamie Uys movie, Funny People.  Was in one of those ...

Waaay off-topic now  Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 17:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:
JW: In 10-20 years time when the current 80 / 100 is long in the tooth I bet you £10 you'll be saying "lets face it, unless you have one of the old style ECU's from the 120 or 150, it's not a real overlander" Wink

In 10 years time I'll probably be working out how you put big tyres and lifts on whatever replaces the 200 Wink and why our 80 is still going strong and the 100 is a rust bucket, because the 80 was definately a sweet spot in terms of the quality of materials used compared to what went before and has been used since. For comfortable playing in this country I'll just buy the latest greatest truck I can afford to tinker with and admit to being a bit soft  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
TonyS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
Oh that's good - and a little speaker inside too, so you could talk to them from inside the car on your CB PA function....

Smacks of a candid-camera moment, ala Funny People and the talking post box ...

Joking aside,Gary, got a friend with a landcruiser 2 who has a speaker under the bonnet. Can be amusing!!
Michael M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyS wrote:
Hi Michael,
Have a good test drive,you will enjoy it. The 150 is like any new model, more refined than the previous,but changes people will get used to,as many dont like change. When the 100 came out after the 80, no one liked the IFS, now its proven and a brilliant vehicle. The size and look of the 200 was critisized, but now people are used to it, seems to be better liked.
The 150 drives smoother and better than the 120, improved performance and economy.
Still has same suspension set up, but again improved.
Approach and departure angles improved,and so is the off road ability,alleged by toyota.
Start at under 30k, so with a few aftermarket upgrades,when they arrive, would make a good machine for overlanding. Just have to presume reliability will be as good as ever.
Either way, go and drive 100,120 and 150,and see which one does it for you. I am sure you will like what you find.
Cheers,Tony.

Thaks for the info Tony. Smile

Today, just by chance I came across a one owner late 2007 lc5, with 20,000 miles on it. I got a test drive in it, but to be honest, it didn't feel much different to drive that my Insignia Trooper. Having seen the new 150, but not yet driven it, I think it's my kind of vehicle.
Michael M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear Chicken wrote:
Michael,

A late model 120, like an LC4 or and Invincible, would be a cracking motor to have.

Thanks for the tip NC. Smile

AS said in my pevious post, I had a run in one today, but in a sense, it was too much like my Trooper.

The new one appeals to me. Very Happy
Michael M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael M wrote:
Nuclear Chicken wrote:
Michael,

A late model 120, like an LC4 or and Invincible, would be a cracking motor to have.

Thanks for the tip NC. Smile

As said in my pevious post, I had a run in one today, but in a sense, it was too much like my Trooper.

The new one appeals to me. Very Happy
TonyS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael, go drive the 150, think you will like it. Very Happy

BTW, Oz have a 6sp manual, more choice all around.
http://www.toyota.com.au/prado/range
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak to Crispin re his 6 speed manual ...

Actually, maybe not  Laughing
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

was going to say.... Manual bad. Mine only 5 speed but still... Traffic driving is unpleasant to be honest. Turbo lag makes it difficult to drive slowly with variable traffic. Either the engine is struggling or it's too jack-rabbit like. Lots of stirring the 'box to make everyone happy.
I really would like to change it for an auto. It's paid for though so I will hang on for a long time.

In being a total cynic ( Evil or Very Mad ), I am not sure what this pic, from the Toyota Aus site, is trying to tell you:

a) Look, even less under board protection than the 120
b) Look how close my gonads hang to the big scary rocks

Evil or Very Mad

Still, give me one and I would not decline.
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

underbody. underbody. underbody.
bloody keyboard.
Michael M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TonyS"]Hi Michael, go drive the 150, think you will like it. Very Happy

I'm afraid I will, which will mean a bit of HP, but I feel it's the way to go for my first Toyota Landcruiser. Very Happy
TonyS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thing that.

Just got some good replies back from 4wd action forum in Oz. All positive about it.

We supported the launch in South Australia and got to drive all models. As a 120 owner I can compare vehicle capability directly. The UK spec vehicles have a lot of differences from the Australian versions so unless you tell me which one you have it is very hard to offer direct comment.

But from a general ownership perspective the following observations may be useful
The 150 is stiffer with improved suspension setup, apart from the Kakadu air suspension which is not great, so they ride noticeably better than a 120
Engines and transmission (auto) are improved marginally but the diesel could do with some more Nm's
NVH is still excellent
KDSS is a valuable addition to on and off-road handling
The off-road technology, CRAWL and Mult Terrain Select and the camera setup are natty pieces of technology that actually work

from all accounts, the new prado is at least as capable off the road than the 120 series....particularly if you go with the model with the rear diff lock

it has gone the way of a lot of modern 4WDs though, being fully loaded with electronic driver aids, mostly handed down from the 200 series landcruiser....though i don't recall hearing about any major failures with these systems, nor the earlier versions as used in the high end 100 and 120 series....

It's all Landies here too. sure, a few people drive toyotas and you occasionally see them in the outback but just about all Land Rovers.

Seriously though, I don't think they're going soft, but definitely more refined. In this day and age, (especially in Europe) very strict emission standards have to be met. This means electronics need to be used to make engines as efficient as possible, and plastics are used to make vehicles as light as possible. It's just how things are going.

Also people are tending to expect more from their cars in terms of mod-cons. Very few base model vehicles are sold to the general public. Most sales to the public are made up of mid range vehicles with a few more creature comforts and someone at Toyota is paid a lot of money to work out what customers expect to be standard and what options they will choose to pay for before looking at something else.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with your Prado, but it's still pretty early days for a new model. A lot of people here wait 12 months or so before going to a new model. It allows any potential issues to get sorted. (eg 2005 D3 compressors, 200 series bullbar mounting)

As far as going soft, I don't think so. Do you get the "Nothing soft gets in" advertising campaign? Youtube it if you don't, good for a giggle.

Let us know what you think when you try it out.
Waz

Hope this gives you a bit more feedback, be good to get another cruiser driver, let us know how you go.

Cheers. Very Happy
Michael M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyS wrote:
Great thing that.

Just got some good replies back from 4wd action forum in Oz. All positive about it.

We supported the launch in South Australia and got to drive all models. As a 120 owner I can compare vehicle capability directly. The UK spec vehicles have a lot of differences from the Australian versions so unless you tell me which one you have it is very hard to offer direct comment.

But from a general ownership perspective the following observations may be useful
The 150 is stiffer with improved suspension setup, apart from the Kakadu air suspension which is not great, so they ride noticeably better than a 120
Engines and transmission (auto) are improved marginally but the diesel could do with some more Nm's
NVH is still excellent
KDSS is a valuable addition to on and off-road handling
The off-road technology, CRAWL and Mult Terrain Select and the camera setup are natty pieces of technology that actually work

from all accounts, the new prado is at least as capable off the road than the 120 series....particularly if you go with the model with the rear diff lock

it has gone the way of a lot of modern 4WDs though, being fully loaded with electronic driver aids, mostly handed down from the 200 series landcruiser....though i don't recall hearing about any major failures with these systems, nor the earlier versions as used in the high end 100 and 120 series....

It's all Landies here too. sure, a few people drive toyotas and you occasionally see them in the outback but just about all Land Rovers.

Seriously though, I don't think they're going soft, but definitely more refined. In this day and age, (especially in Europe) very strict emission standards have to be met. This means electronics need to be used to make engines as efficient as possible, and plastics are used to make vehicles as light as possible. It's just how things are going.

Also people are tending to expect more from their cars in terms of mod-cons. Very few base model vehicles are sold to the general public. Most sales to the public are made up of mid range vehicles with a few more creature comforts and someone at Toyota is paid a lot of money to work out what customers expect to be standard and what options they will choose to pay for before looking at something else.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with your Prado, but it's still pretty early days for a new model. A lot of people here wait 12 months or so before going to a new model. It allows any potential issues to get sorted. (eg 2005 D3 compressors, 200 series bullbar mounting)

As far as going soft, I don't think so. Do you get the "Nothing soft gets in" advertising campaign? Youtube it if you don't, good for a giggle.

Let us know what you think when you try it out.
Waz

Hope this gives you a bit more feedback, be good to get another cruiser driver, let us know how you go.

Cheers. Very Happy

Tony, thanks for that valuable information. Very Happy

Well I progressed a bit today, had a test drive in a 2009 LG5, (courtesy of Shellbourne Toyota)  with just 8000 miles on it, nice black one, lovely vehicle, hard to fault.

Next up, the new model, another LC5, different vehicle altogether. The bigggest difference that tickled my toe, was the steering lock, you could as they say, turn it on a sixpence. The engine also seems to be better soundproofed, just does'nt sound as rough.
The other things I like are the bigger wheels, third row of seats lie flat, black leather and the push button start/stop.

The thing I dont like, is the poor availability, could be three months before I can get one. Sad
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, where are you based? I an near Newry and use Shelbourne from time to time.

How about using the old LC5 until the new one is available....they can only say no if asked. The old one sounds like mine except mine is an '04 with 75k on the clock. I'd like to be able to get a resher one. The one you drove must have been an Invincible, no? No LC5 anymore.
Michael M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear Chicken wrote:
Mike, where are you based? I an near Newry and use Shelbourne from time to time.

How about using the old LC5 until the new one is available....they can only say no if asked. The old one sounds like mine except mine is an '04 with 75k on the clock. I'd like to be able to get a resher one. The one you drove must have been an Invincible, no? No LC5 anymore.

I'm in Crumlin Co. Antrim.

The 2009 one that I drove, may have been an Invincible,I don't know, but I'm sure the girl told me it was an LC5, either way it, it seemed to have al the gear, sat nav etc. etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: