All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Decent deal for carputer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:14    Post subject: Decent deal for carputer Reply with quote

Got an email from CPC:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=SB0396465
Not the quickest spec but will work fine for those who don't want to DIY

Or

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=SB0408914

A whole netbook for £258(Inc)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

busaboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lokos like i am going to go down the route of a small laptop (netbook???) on a mount, makes sense to me as it has everything on it and can be removed easily.

These are looking good, but what is an ATOM processor???

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0775190009.1260459540@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadejdgfkjfjcflgceggdhhmdfno.0&page=ProductList&category_oid=-35758&fm=2&sm=3&tm=undefined&use_category=true
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Atom is the small mobile processor. It's slow compared to the normal desktop ones but is ample for your needs. I use an Atom in mine and cannot complain about it.

You have two versions though, the N270 and the 330. I don't know much about the 270 but know it is the base model and some do complain about it. Still, should be ample for your needs.

Your main concern should be more memory and harddrive.

Those ones listed will work fine for a mobile computer with GPS + Maps.
They _might_ not be as "snappy" in opening applications etc on your desktop but nothing hindering.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main things I'd watch out for with a netbook for in car use is how shiney the screen is and how bright you can make it. The main thing you lose compared to a fixed install with most netbooks & laptops is the touch screen. Using a touch screen is a big big advantage over waving some sort of mouse or track ball about on the move and you will mess with it on the move I'm sure  Laughing  I'm happy with the little Asus T91 I mentioned in another thread except that I still haven't had chance to try it out doors yet to see how the shiney screen copes with bright sunshine (might be a long wait then  Rolling Eyes ).

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
busaboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be ok i think, i'm left handed and use the touch pad on my laptop with my left hand already Smile
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shiny screen thing would be an issue.

The monitor I have has some anti-reflection glare snake oil stuff. It does work but glare or bright back light can render it useless.
My normal laptop has a nice shiny screen which is useless outside in the sun. Still, I get to use it for 51.5 weekends though Neutral

Agree with WS on the touch screen.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:
The monitor I have has some anti-reflection glare snake oil stuff. It does work but glare or bright back light can render it useless.

What you got then Crispin?

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one I currently have: http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12070
There is a better one (rarer snake oil?) for double the price but at £365, it was steep.

Can't find the description of the different anti glare coatings. Mine was the middle of the options.
All in all, I am happy with it except for bright, direct light and....the stupid auto dimming function (they all suffer from it AFAIK). It is to quick in response to changing light. So driving past a street light, the monitor brightens up and back down again. basically stobes with changing street lights. There should be a bit of a delay / smoothing on that feature.
Otherwise, I am happy with it.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting as I've been intending to buy the rarer snake oil one for a while and had been managing to resist on the grounds I'd have no use for my existing monitor if I did  Shocked  The comparison page is http://www2.multithread.co.uk/mtcshop/images/linitx.com/products/screen_comparison.jpg I might ask santa for one though because with Steph's 80 back I have a use for a spare monitor to go with the spare computer I still have that was in the 80 before we sold it  Very Happy

Shame about the auto dim! My existing monitor isn't clever enough to have that problem  Rolling Eyes

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the page I was looking for.

The monitor is ok, am mostly happy with it. While I remember, there are two other issues. One is a PIA, the other, not so much.
The first is the seeming conflict between it and any wifi device. Seems odd but have them both installed and you loose wifi. Put the touch screen through a hub and you fine.
The other is only evident on cold mornings; the case shrinks. When it shrinks, the bezel touches the screen and one of two things happen. Windows sees it as a right click and brings up the menu. 2) windows things you holding down the right mouse button and beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps beeps

Rather annoying. After 5 minutes with the heater on and it's gone. Only happens when the inside of the truck is < 5. I have loosened all the case screws except for the sealed one and it does not help. I might open it at some point and peek. Warranty etc etc Sad Will also disable the auto dim feature. (wonder if I could do that in the settings.... [crispin leaves the room])
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've had that casing touching the screen problem before but a few years ago now. Wonder if it's just yours and you should return it or they're all like that ... I think if I bought one now and it did that I'd send it back  Mad

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, I will see about returning it. Off to Swizerland next week so no time to do it now...

This morning it refused to work for about 45 minutes. :S Hardware was not detected so screen was ok but no touch. Eventually woke up but rather annoying.

Which one do you use?
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it applies but I have a seperate toggle switch on the screen power so I can cycle it after a few minutes on a cold morning and wake it up. I find on a morning like this none of the lcd screens I've had will work first turn of the key, they power up but don't display and usually then their own power button doesn't work.

My monitor is so old they don't sell it any more  Laughing  It's a 7" widescreen no fancy coating normal brightness no auto dimming with the controls down the right side of the casing instead of accross the bottom as they have them now. Although a little small it gets the job done and doesn't get in the way too much compared to the 8" I tried before it so not a bad compromise. When I think about getting a new one for improved readability in sun light I'm torn between the Transflective 7" and a 'sun light readable high brightness' 8.4". The 8.4" is a more usable size but AFAIK doesn't have the 'transflective' coating and could be dissapointing for all that money!

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for that money, it would be disappointing. Are you blinded by the sun that often? When I do have glare, I wait a few minutes as either I change position or a cloud moves in.  Direct light onto any screen will hinder the visibility. The expensive coating would be slightly less affected..

I like the idea of the switch - I have a few in to override the ignition etc but none to cycle the monitor. I normally pull the plug which is a fiddle but works. Next time the guts are hanging out I will put another switch in.

I wish I could find a monitor with the buttons on the side. All the new ones have them on the front panel which is a waste of space. 8" screen and 11" case.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I need to get my memory sorted out because armed with my ruler I discovered it's an 8" widescreen normal brightness no fancy coatings buttons down the side monitor not 7"! I thought the 7" screen numbers looked a bit small when I drew it on a piece of paper but the 8.4" 4:3 overall size on Linitx is massive compared to what I have now so I'd just assumed mine was 7". You can see how good my memory is  Laughing  Must have been a 10" I had before and didn't like the size of. Back to the drawing board then, all that casing on the 8.4's isn't very good is it  Crying or Very sad

EDIT: and they do sell my monitor still when you're looking for the right size  Laughing  http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10877 which in car seems much smaller than the 8.4 even though on paper the numbers aren't all that different.

EDIT: My Asus T91 is the same dimensions as your monitor BTW but has a 8.9" screen. When I first started messing with car computers there was talk of coatings you could buy to apply to existing screens, I wonder if that's worth persuing.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: