4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Winch bumper project

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 20:15    Post subject: Winch bumper project Reply with quote

Following the success of my rear bumper, I just couldn't wait for the Spring to get going on the front bumper. So dodging the showers and working under floodlights, I have been beavering away with the metal glue.
The TBR winch mount is good, but I want to make a bumper and winch mount combined, so that will have to go on the For Sale section when I get a moment.
I have raised the whole winch so it will get a bit more 'lift' when in deep mud. This is where it will sit.

There will be very little underneath this so the approach angle will be decent.

Not quite finished, I have to fit the top retaining strap onto this bolt.

Here's the underside with straps to the original front bash plate mount

It feels fairly robust so far. The main mount picks up of the chassis rails where everything else mounts. The spacers are just there to take up the loose in the bolts because the bash plates isn't one at the second.

Before you think, hmm, looks to stick out a lot, here's what it look like with the old plastic bumper just pushed back on.

The bumper will be attached to the winch table with the fairlead on the outside. There won't be that much bumper in fact. Just enough to make it pedestrian friendly. It will get some sunk in driing lights, tow points, hi lift jacking points yadda yadda yadda.

C
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 20:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Boghopper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have the whole vehicle in bits soon Laughing  Front and back diffs and now bumper.

Liking the fabrication, nice and strong and neat. Which spots are you thinking of using? What thickness metal for the bumper are you going to use?

Boghopper
davey b
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tidy fab.  A suggestion, if I may... that all appears to be attached to the bottom edge bolt hole i.e. the bottom of the chassis.  A strap to the top of the bolt and chassis would reduce any bending moment present by solely holding it all at the bottom
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. Davey - check the thread. It says quote - Not quite finished, I have to fit the top retaining strap onto this bolt. Yes, the mount can actually 'twist' downwards with out the top mount. I'ts made, just not welded on yet.

Not sure on the thickness of the bumper. I may go with a sort of girder affair, or something quite elegant. The rear is 2 mm and as it is pressed it''s very strong. I have to be mindful of weight. Because it is only to finish the front off, the winch mount being separate, I can make it out of 2mm with no trouble. It will have some folding maybe to give a top section from which everything else will hang. Winch bumpers are pretty strong and thick because they are usually combined. I think the two piece ide gives me an advantage.

The spots will be the ones that I have now, they're Britax. I will see if I can get all four on - oh you mean in the bumper - working on that. I have an idea but you'll have to wait..

C
davey b
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, even you think I talk sense! Laughing I didn't view the thread on my computer so got pics separately with captions - sorry.  Like I said, nice fab work
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather you say something than looking over the quarry wall, when it's too late, saying 'Hmm maybe I should have mentioned that'

Thanks.

C
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to make sure you put the loose bolt in the 4th pic somewhere safe  Laughing  When you've put the top strap on, maybe put a plate between the top and bottom straps down the side of the chassis to stiffen them up?

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top trap will be fully welded to the plate. Adding a vertical piece won't add anything I don't feel. It will all be welded to the same thing. Not easy to see the precise construction. What you can't see is that there is a bolt going into the chassis horn through the plate - horizontally. So in all there are 8 bolts holding it on. There will be some gussets going on too. I don't want to tie the top strap to the bottom strap as it needs to crush when I tighten it to clamp the two against the chassis. If I weld it solid then I am just placing stress on the weld. I think that the two 'tabs' need to be able to move - yes?

Here's what I have already cut. Sorry bit crude. But comments welcome really. I feel that much more and it will get over-engineered. There is a limit to what you can do before the weak point become the actual chassis!

C

Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I get that nice red underseal you have everywhere ?  Laughing ,
Looks good , you must never be indoors .
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that Martian mud. If only it had magic properties instead of mildly acidic ones!!

C
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following with interest. I can't weld yet but do wanna make my own winch bumper soon enough as I don't fancy paying £££ for an ARB or TJM unit. Need to find someone who can lend me a pipe bender too

With great power comes great responsibility. That's why I have a 2.4!
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do know someone who is now selling a TBR winch mount that will fit a 90 without modification. There will be an ad on the for sale section just as soon as he can get a moment.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your triangular gusset is doing most of what I was thinking of. You know I like to over engineer it so you just filter that out  Laughing  I think you'd get better clamping to the chassis if you used a captive nut and short bolt top and bottom rather than a big bolt all the way through  Smile

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, yes I see what you are saying there. But I would have to split the chassis open to weld the nuts on the inside of the box section. I would rather not have to do that. This bolt is not really the main player. The two under bolts clamp the mount to the box and the single bolt is more about up and down forces on the tray rather than pulling forces during use. I did think about sleeving the hole top to bottom to prevent the box being crushed when I crank it up. When I said 8 bolts, I missed the 3 in the middle. 11 bolts has to be enough. The TBR winch tray has 4!

Spent the day at Bovington Tank Museum yesterday - trust me, I have seen where over-engineering can lead!!!!!

C
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, I thought the chassis was open ended so you could put a nut in on a bit of flat and just tack the end of the flat to the chassis where you can get at it.

Have you designed the bumper bit yet or is that still to be decided?

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: