2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Winch bumper project

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been slacking a bit LC?   Shocked   Thought you'd be on to your next project by now especially with the warm weather  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 19:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, alright alright. I know that you are all desperate for news on this one.  Confused  Confused I have been busy doing all sorts of jobs. So, here is what the bumper is looking like now. Got to put internal ribs inside, put a 50mm receiver in so that it will take the rear demountable winch (Jon, stop laughing you know you wish you'd thought of it first) then make the end parts  - the idea for which is slowly forming.

BONUS - Lil Blue is back on it's wheels with a rear diff in courtesy of the diff magician, 'The Great Wildsmitho' All connected, tightened, oiled and ready for action. Just as soon as the front one comes back from D44.

Incidentally, you can see the effect of having OME 50kg+ springs on the front with no winch and mount. The springs are at full extension and higher than the rears. If you fit these with no extra load, you really need rear spring spacers to level up

There, you can all sleep easier now, I know.

C
rockall

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:08    Post subject: Photos Reply with quote

Nice photos and very impressive work - well done. Do clean those blocked vanes on rads before you bolt eveything back up !!
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's on the list Rockall. I have to replace the condenser as I ripped the bottom off, so I will get a good look at the rad then. I took it out last year and flushed it through. It's driving through deep slurry that does that. I will get the hose in from the back and flush it forward. But not today as it will turn into an ice rink out there.

C
busaboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get in to the engage/free spool lever?
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! It's air operated. Neat huh?

The thing isn't finished yet of course and I was contemplating putting a small flap over the free spool too. But the whole top panel is held on with 4 cap head bolts which whizz out and the plate lifts off.

C
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along nicely LC, should look really good when it's all done and coated. Having a spare front winch is definately taking being prepared for anything to new heights though  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well seeing as I can't go and play in the snow, I though I'd better get this bumper finished. Only washer jets and light bracket to fit tomorrow and it can go to the powder coater on Monday. Front diff is coming Tuesday Hooooooorraaaaaaaayyyyy!

Would I ever build another? Yes, but I would make it much simpler for sure. Problem has been that as I rolled it, none of the body dimensions are the same on each side and it's been a bit of a custom fit. That and no room to work, plus the plasma cutter that I got on demo was no good.

This vehicle is getting very close to being finished.

C
gilghana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant!
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks really goog LC and should be the dogs when its coated. Shame about the cutter  Sad

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes the coating will make all the difference. It's always going to have that 'home-made' look about it, but as you know, winch bumpers are about £700 - £800, if you can get one. I like the ARB commercial bar like Simon has on his twin to mine. But this has cost me around £30 - £40 plus wire, gas, flap discs, tea and Jaffa cakes (other chocolate based cake / biscuit snacks are available). Coating will cost another £50.

It's unique at any rate. I have to say that it does look a lot better in the flesh(?) than in these pictures for some reason. I think that internally it is over-engineered strength wise which is a good thing.

So pics next week of Lil Blue with front and rear bumpers, front and rear diffs... in the snow? We shall see.

C
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - looking good - ALMOST 'like a bought one'  Laughing

Glad you're getting to the stage of almost on the road again  Very Happy
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too Gary. Feel like a player with an injury sitting out all the big games. Me being such a physical sort of guy - LEAVE IT!

I'll settle for almost - like a bought one.

Can't wait to get rolling in it soon. Hope the front locker has been worth it. Got to find somewhere to try and get stuck soon.

You know, if I do buy an 80, I have to get one that has been fully triked already. I simply cannot spend my entire life in the bloomin' garage.
C
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking the mutts that LC - good work.

You know you'll have to get a 'virgin' 80 if/when you do else how will know if its been done right Wink
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT'S FINISHED!!!

Got light brackets and squirter jets done today. Quick polish over, drilled some drain holes too which might be helpful. Off to the powder coater tomorrow. Hopefully going to look pretty good. Really looked proper with the row of spots on. Next pic will be it fitted with winch, lights and new recovery points.

C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: