Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

What series is my Landscruiser?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westw00d

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 21:33    Post subject: What series is my Landscruiser? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to Landcruisers but I've fell in love with them within a fortnight of owning one. I fully understand why all the Owners Club have only good to say about them.
Unfortunately I'm a bit confused about which series model I own.
It's a 2002 Landcruiser Colorado VX Long Wheel Base 3 litre diesel and as I say it's simply fantastic. I just want to know whether its a 90 or 100 series. I hope someone can help.
My motor has covered 80,000 miles but I must say the engine does sound a bit noisy. However, having done over 1000 miles in a fortnight without the engine note changing I assume that the engine noise is pretty standard. I also own a Jaguar V8 which is completely quiet so I think that this has made my Landcruiser engine appear noisier than it is. The noise is like a tapping noise under hard revs. It actually sounds like noisy tappets. Can anybody advise whether this is normal. I have a friend who is a motor mechanic who owns a newish Shogun that sounds far worse than mine. As I say I think I've been spoiled.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 21:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be a late 90 series D4D.

If your chassis number starts something like KDJ95 then it is a 90 series.

Does it look like this Question   http://toyota.alsayeronline.com/English/toyota_models/landcruiser/history/html/history/models/model_90.html
1997 auto petrol 80 (for Er'in'doors)
westw00d

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 22:16    Post subject: Landcruiser series Reply with quote

Hi Thanks very much for your quick reply. Yes mine does look like the picture you sent except that the bars on the front grill are vertical unlike the horizontal ones on the picture
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probably because the one in the pic is a Prado, I'm guessing by the chrome trimmings, rather than a UK Colorado. Later Colorados, around W started coming with the more modern D4D common rail diesel engine. Your's could be a D4D or one of the last 1KZ-TE

C
westw00d

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:20    Post subject: which series landcruiser Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. As mine is 02 reg'd it will be the later one I'm sure. Do you think the rattle on the engine will be normal, as I say it sounds like tappet noise but its probably just that I'm not used to it
Thanks again
Roger
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it get a bit quieter once the engine has warmed up? Diesels are often very noisy when cold but quieten down a bit once warm. I had Gary Stockton's 120 here for a bit which I think is much the same engine (?) and I thought it sounded like it was going to fall apart but it seems it's normal! The 80 series engine is not as bad but when I went from an XJR to a diesel 80 I thought it was about as smooth as a tractor but funnily enough the XJR stayed in the garage and I used the Landcruiser all the time  Wink

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

That having been said Jon, there was a fault on some of the earlier D4D engines. I know - I had one. It was a batch of faulty injectors so I understand. Once warm - lovely, but under load, when cold, yes frightening noises from under the bonnet. Never really heard it said about the D4D in the Colorado but certainly the same power plant in the 120's.

Westw00d - you cannot simply assume that it is a D4D just because it's on an 02 plate. It should have an insignia on the A panel that says D4D or under the bonnet, there is a great big flat intercooler on top of the engine.
If not then it's a 1KZ-TE.

C
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also instances of the D4D suffering from Piston Slap - my old next door neighbour had one in a Van which kept going back to find out what the noise was, eventually they put a new bottom end in and it went quiet. The vehicle had only done about 60K miles when this was done. Generally I think it is fair to say that the Common Rail Diesels can be quite a bit noisier than the older engines. The 1KZ-TE engine is a p0retty quiet one generally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: