Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

100 series body lift / bumper trimming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 19:33    Post subject: 100 series body lift / bumper trimming Reply with quote

I'm sure I posted some pictures when I did a 16mm body lift on my 100 but I can't find the thread so I'll start a new one for the follow on. I stopped at 16mm last time because I only had a few hours to get it done and anything bigger would have meant more work. At 16mm BL I was still getting some rubbing on the front at certain front wheel turned positions. That's maybe because my AHC lift is only about 10mm and I'm running 285x75x18's and also still have the standard AHC T bars coping with a bumper and winch so it's not as stiff as it could be ... Main reason for bothering though is to lift the fuel tank which is getting a bit dented and give better clearance for the aux tank that's going under the rear soon, so on boxing day I got round to putting the 40mm spacers in and doing the other mods needed.

The body spacers are just a bit of 2 3/4" aluminium bar cut to size, faced on the lathe and a 16mm hole through the middle. The steering spacer was some 2 3/4" diameter steel bar, 23mm thick with 4 10mm holes on a 53mm PCD.

To clearance the engine fan to the radiator shroud I cut some of the lower part of the shroud away. Making new brackets to drop the radiator is an option but I will lift the engine and gearbox later for better transfer box clearance so it makes more sense to leave the radiator position alone.

Lying underneath looking up and forwards to show radiator shroud mod:

AHC at N, showing gaps:

rear bumper was already lifted 16mm, sagging again:

Bumper mounts are slotted, I just lengthened the slots on the brackets and bumper:

Front done, rear still to do:

I only used the lower two mouting holes each side on the bumper, the top was out of range, and then once it was mounted where I wanted it drilled new 3rd holes where there was space for it. I had to cut out the centre section of the bumper that would normaly be below the winch slot and I added a strap each side to tie into the winch plate. Extra bonus is a fairly decent view of the winch drum now Smile

No issues with the AHC, that's not affected other than taking up some slack in wires and pipes where they cross from the chassis to the body in the engine bay. The little plastic covers that go between the chassis and inner wings on the front I just disconnected at the bottom, they won't stretch 40mm.

The transfer box shifter is much lower down now but still has the full range of movement.

Where the bottom of the steering column passes through the bulkhead it's quite a close fit so that'd be something to deal with on a bigger lift. I adjusted the gear selector linkage almost to the end of the adjustment slot so a bigger BL might need a new selector rod.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 19:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

orcatech1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, only just found this, well done. Its looking huge now.
I guess you would have fixed any rubbing problems, lifting the engine and gearbox will be a pretty big project I guess
Any worries about lifting the centre of gravity?
Julian
PS what are those 18" rims, would be good if we could get a Mud Terrain tyre in 285 75 18, I have found a Toyo and Goodyear but only in the US
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had to trim the panel where the steering column passes through the bulkhead a bit because it did rub a little. It's a removable panel so it was easy enough to do. Other than that everything is ok so far and I'd say a 40mm body lift and 35's suit it  Very Happy The engine and box lift should be straight forward enough, just fab some spacers/adapters for the engine and a spacer for under the gearbox.

My old 80 with a 5" ish lift didn't have any CG problems so I'm not worrying about a wider 100 with a much smaller lift.

The wheels are some italian jobs that I can't remember the name of and came from silverline. They're about 30mm offset from standard so they fill the arches better but I should have some OEM 18's in the next week or two and I'll switch to those with spacers.

The kevlar goodyears look like an interesting tyre and they might make it over here eventually.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
seph234
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking Cool  

I was behind a 100 series today and i really like these, i will get one eventually but ive got to get the wife parking the colorado first Laughing
orcatech1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon
Do you need the spacers / larger offset for rubbing or just to fill the arches better?
Julian
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need spacers / offset to stop any rubbing with the 285x75x18's, that's just the way these after market wheels turned out. The narrow tyres do tend to mean the body rubs a lot more on stuff where wider tyres or a bit more offset would make it do that a bit less. The 36" Simex do rub a bit on the chassis and anti roll bar on the front at full lock and there's about a 5mm gap between the tyre and upper suspension arm so a bit more space there wouldn't hurt. I will probably experiment with some 20mm spacers I have when time allows.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, can't really see in the pics - did you fab new mounts for the winch bumper to close the gap, or did you put a filler in there?

And what did you do for the rear bumper?  Still cogitating on how to get mine to fit flush again...

EDIT:  Ooops - just read your post again properly ....  Embarassed  Sorry - don't mind me  Laughing

Cheers
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you look at doing the gearbox / t-case and engine lift, can you let us know what you find?  I think it would possibly be of interest  Wink .  Will you go from UJs on the drive shafts to CVs or a combination of UJ / CV at all?  Or not decided yet?  At least that's going to sort the stubby lever having got even stubbier  Laughing   Won't be able to hang the Chinese take-out carrier bag from it any more soon  Wink
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to make some spacers for the engine and gearbox mountings. The gearbox is a nice flat surface so that's easy but the engine mounts are at an angle so I'll have to get my protractor and pi on the job to get those right. This is not an iminent job yet, still working out how it fits in with the order of play for other jobs.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

22/7???  SOH CAH TOA...  O levels were cool Wink
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

O levels were too long ago for me to remember stuff that way but pi and co are a fairly regular feature in my day job. The challenge will be getting at stuff to measure it without removing the engine!

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: