NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fairlead Cover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
busaboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 21:22    Post subject: Fairlead Cover Reply with quote

Hey all,
Now that the winch is on i would like to get a clip on cover (like on Bigyun's cruiser) to cover the fairlead and stop the weather getting in.
Have looked at all the usual sources but can't see anything.

Also, does anyone spray their winch cables with anything to preserve them? Still toying with the idea of a plasma rope  Cool
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 21:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBR sell them. I think that I have one lurking somewhere if you strike zero. Don't know if they are universal, but mine is the same as Bigyuns. They stay on pretty well.  Synthetic rope means small fairlead with no moving parts. Cover not needed. Yea!!!

C
bigyun
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just soak the cable in oil, any oil even old engine oil will do. If it is the standard steel cable it will probably have a fibre core and as long as the oil reaches that it will help protect the inner of the cable and prelong the life span of your cable.

Bigyun
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say, BY, not wishing to bring a downer on that - but just exactly how do you soak a steel winch cable in oil? Hey you know my fetish, synthetic ropes. Mmmmn. Steel cables are like trying to mud wrestle an Anaconda on steroids. It's not like you can just plop it into a bucket. There's  100' of hell on a stick!! By the way, I washed mine out in the sink this week. Oohh, it was dirty. Hung it on a peg to dry out.  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Y'know I'm yanking yer chain. Get anywhere with mk I diff lock protector. I'm getting near to mk II.

C
bigyun
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mk1 diff deflector...... not too good the welds are getting in the way of the bolts, but I am working on it, will let you know.

As for pulling my chain....its steel rope actually Laughing  Laughing  Laughing no the oiling is easy done, if the cable has been used and stretched a couple of times its tendency to spring everywhere is greatly reduced and you can coil it into a bucket (quite a big bucket admittedly) but I use the drag method. I pull all the cable out put a load of oil in a tray and lay the cable through that and start winching in.
busaboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best we get back up to the plain then so i can get the winch into use  Very Happy
Tommo&Claire
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good idea, could have used you up in wales this week!

.....none of us had a winch!

2002 95 Series LC 3.0D4D, Grabber AT2s, Safari Snorkel.
1998 90 Series LC 3.0TD for Mrs T
2007 Rottweiler.
bigyun
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

busaboy wrote:
Best we get back up to the plain then so i can get the winch into use  Very Happy

I have every intention of going back to the plain very soon, you see Father Christmas left me a Brandtz pro 2 trip meter. When it is fitted I intend to go there and write some tulip road maps as practise for when I go to France.

All are welcome to join me and we can have fun with the winches then. I will post when I am going to be ready.

Tommo I would of loved to have gone to the Wales drive but work would not allow it but it looks like you all had a great time.

Bigyun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: