NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Squeal!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bullwire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the D4D uses the same fuel pump as the 1KZTE engine, so it's unlikely to be that.
Not the preheater pulley by any chance? I saw a thread on another forum that suggests that the bearing can go in that.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

ianglaurie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullwire wrote:
I don't think the D4D uses the same fuel pump as the 1KZTE engine, so it's unlikely to be that.
Not the preheater pulley by any chance? I saw a thread on another forum that suggests that the bearing can go in that.

Mine is the D4D it is making this whistling noise. Its present at about the same revs as everyone described however it only exists once I put it into Drive any ideas?

Dont seem to have quite the same pump setup

Wondering if its  a good idea to get the Autobox oil changed my car has done 66000 and don't know if its been done very recently...
foxing2night

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers fellas,
                    It did not even take five Min's to do????

As they say, silence is golden and it sure is Wink

I have had a lot of people, even a Toyota engineer trying to find this noise but to no avail???

I could not believe that some one found out what the problem was????
the difference now is unbelievable,,,,

Happy days Cool
usman666

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my first ever post and i couldnt resist my self to say thanks to nordaic(cant recall his name spellings).. i had this whine whistle kinda irritation sound in my 1996 PRado with 1kzte.....previous owner had it for 3 years and he couldnt find the problem....and luckily i found this great forum and and it helped me and took just 5 mins Smile...thanks thanks thanks........now my wife wont push me to sell my  lovely british green JDM prado....
Pixel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a Small world is it not, Johan Meyer (Cape Town SA) spent hours with a stethescope on my vehicle to track down the source of this whistle and to come up with the cure. The cure was posted on LCCSA and has now bounced around the world saving many owners from selling their Prado's. Kudos to Johan, the man is a cruiser whisperer of note and to cruiser owners who surfed the web flat to pick up the cure and pass on to others.
Bullwire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that  the fix was by some bloke in SA but never had a name to put to it.
Maybe it should be called Johan's fix to thank him.
I will buy him a beverage of his choice if he ever visits Ireland.
Tonka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
thanks
been meaning to try  this for a little while but kept convincing myself it wasn't this as mine seemed to be more of a wheezey sound.....
guess what?
WHEEZE GONE Very Happy
and it took literally a couple of minutes, no longer

feel kinda guilty now, have banished an old friend from the truck Laughing
cheers
ek Cool
leckytech

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant believe I found this thread! Im afflicted with the same "whine" which is starting to irritate me and Im hopeful it can be fixed by "Johan's Fix". Unfortunately I have to wait 3 weeks to find out as Im back offshore. Will update in due course...
steve allard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...........

1) check the squeal with the a/c on then off
2) have you checked the fuel return pipe. on to[p of the pump is a no.14 banjo, remove it and stretch the spring. that will stop a resonating noise seeming to come from the fuel filter area.
3) turbo gaskets and manifold etc as someone mentioned.
4) the electrical idea doesnt really make sense. naturally I will be proved wrong here.
HairyWookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to fix the same noise in mine; quick tweak of the return spring; noise now gone.  Cool
Mrs says its a bit disconcerting now without that familiar noise!

One thing though; now that noise has gone, I now notice a different noise coming from the nearside front wheel. Dry joint maybe? Sounds worryingly like a metal creaking and scratching noise. Hopefully not a torn metalwork joint.  Shocked
Also, a strange intake sound from the pipework between air filter box & upper ducting. I think the silicon hose kit may be in order if the 6 month old plastic one has split. Replacing this pipe YET AGAIN!!!  Twisted Evil

My mrs also found that puttng tyres up to 34PSI makes them run quieter on motorway.

90 series Colorados do make good, quiet cruisers though; the mrs little 60 plate Micra DCi is really noisy by comparison.  Smile

1997 KZJ95 3.0TD GX Manual (Jess)
Weekend Warrior with 18 years of mechanical experience; still learning...
Occasional use on SVO...
leckytech

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yip all still to do. I like the idea of pumping the tyres up, so far so good with the beast, I just hope this intermittant whine [only last for a second ot two] turns out to be exactly that of the return spring and not a water pump or turbo on its way out Surprised
seansammut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry to bring this thread up again. I have been having a similar issue, i.e. when idling I get a squeal/whine, so I gave this fix a try. Thing is, it has fixed the original issue so no squeal when idling but now it has changed to a lower pitch and only happens when revving and up to 2500rpms.

Any ideas? Is it maybe I overstretched the spring or did not stretch it enough?

Thank you for your help.

Sean.
cetan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

nordic venture wrote:
on top of the injector pump is a banjo bolt on the fuel return side which contains a spring loaded ball valve. the spring weakens causing the ball bearing to resonate. i removed the bolt and took the ball and spring out. then i stretched the spring slightly and replaced. the spring is similar to that inside a ball point pen. put it all back together again and hey presto!

it's hard to believe that this could cause such a whistling noise coming up through the footwell but it does (did).

i take no credit for solving this. i went to an australian forum which put me onto a U.S. forum then to a south african forum to get the answer!!

more than happy Laughing

Thank you so much, nordic venture. I have been annoyed by this noise for the past 18 months. Finally got it sorted 2 days ago after reading hints/posts (9 years ago!) from this wonderful forum with wonderful people. I also love the detailed descriptions by Auspuff and the pictures by regthing. Thanks again.

Wow! More than happy...!
Arriva911

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

cetan wrote:
nordic venture wrote:
on top of the injector pump is a banjo bolt on the fuel return side which contains a spring loaded ball valve. the spring weakens causing the ball bearing to resonate. i removed the bolt and took the ball and spring out. then i stretched the spring slightly and replaced. the spring is similar to that inside a ball point pen. put it all back together again and hey presto!

it's hard to believe that this could cause such a whistling noise coming up through the footwell but it does (did).

i take no credit for solving this. i went to an australian forum which put me onto a U.S. forum then to a south african forum to get the answer!!

more than happy Laughing

Thank you so much, nordic venture. I have been annoyed by this noise for the past 18 months. Finally got it sorted 2 days ago after reading hints/posts (9 years ago!) from this wonderful forum with wonderful people. I also love the detailed descriptions by Auspuff and the pictures by regthing. Thanks again.

Wow! More than happy...!

[b][b]just removed the banjo bolt as requested only to find no spring at all as another member stated on page 3 about the landcruiser speal as he also is missing as a spring .
my question is when i get a new spring do i just drop it in the bolt hole and replace the bolt.

[/b]
any help much a[/b]
Arriva911

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 16:16    Post subject: Re: Squel at low revs - where's my spring? Reply with quote

[quote="Dado5"]Hi all,

Good thread! Apologies for resurrecting it.
Having suffered with this ailment for a few months I tackled it on my 3.0TD this morning. So armed with a cuppa and a 14mm spanner I took out the 'bolt' but found there was no spring inside! I've had the beaut for 3.5 years and only noticed squel about 4 mnths back. I guess that there has to be a spring there or perhaps someone took it out before me! Any thoughts anyone?
Cheers[/q

did u replace the spring and has the sqeal gone cos i got no spring either. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: