Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

helpful info and pitfalls and hi

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elvis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 18:51    Post subject: helpful info and pitfalls and hi Reply with quote

hi there new to the forum  not new to 4x4s but have been teetering on the verge of looking for a bj40 and i thought best ask those who know about them
so here i am  

i need to know if the diesels are any good as thats realy what i would prefer
and basicly everything else and values what would you expect to pay
thanks  guys
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 18:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

rodger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elvis,

Welcome to the forum.

BJ40s are usually fitted with the 3B engine - a straight forward old style diesel which is very reliable. The are built to be able to fix them (if necessary) in the middle of nowhere with little in the way of tools. But other engines fit - mine has an HJ60 engine which is a litre bigger at 4litres (and is a 6 cylinder). 3B pulls fine and is reliable - you wont need to spend half your life under the bonnet unlike with an old LR.
You will need to look for body rot when buying a 40. The most suceptible areas are bottoms of doors, sills, bottom of the front valance and the rear body cross member including the bottoms of the rear wings. All are fixable (I know!)
When looking at one to buy check the chassis over the front suspension (on the curve) cos that's where they crack, if they are going to but it's repairable - even tells you how in the original manual!
Parts for the engine and service partts are available from Mr Toyota or Milners. Body parts are in much shorter supply but replacement parts can be obtained from the USA, Australia, Germany, etc (web searches) and the guys over here help each other track down bits.
There aren't that many in this country, so you'll probably have to travel a bit to find one but forum members have imported them from Oz, Germany and France (where there are loads but are LHD).
Don't really know about values but realistically you're going to spend £4-5000 to get a reasonable one and a lot more to get a mint one.
They are not a complicated vehicle to work on and they are tough but they aren't quick but will go most places but like any old vehicle they need TLC.

Hope that helps.

Rodger
BJ40 with HJ60 running gear
elvis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks how would you rate them as everyday use trucks and ideas on mpg are they ok to tow with
as it would be looked after but would work for its keep
rodger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't use it as an everyday vehicle in this country - the salt they put on our roads will eat the body unless you really protect it - POR15 and chassis black and steam it off underneath very regularly.

Towing? Have towed a caravan with mine with no problems - it hardly noticed - just like towing with any short wheelbase motor.

I think you may be asking for alot of maintenance as they are at least 25 years old. Possibly you should consider a 3 litre 70 series which is basically a 40 with independent front suspension and a different body (they don't seem to suffer from the dreaded worm in the same way). Or indeed for just a little more money you could get an 80 - diff locks and all.

In my opinion you'd be asking a lot of an unrestored 40. I take mine off the road just before they lay salt and it doesn't go back until that's been washed away for weeks. Every winter I have a project on it and I think you would have an ongoing fight with the bodywork.

I get around 28-30mpg on a run 50-60 mph, town work around 21. Off roading I don't (daren't) look!

Hope that helps

Rodger
elvis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you realy think not i am sorta surprised
rodger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanically I would have little doubts providing you kept on top of maintenance - things like the steering centre box etc but the salt over here would be better left under the topsoil of Cheshire. Once it gets in - it's a constant job of chasing it out.

As you know vehicles built all that time ago rotted at the drop of a hat. The 40 was no exception.

Mine will be used as an everyday when we move to Spain in about 18 months but they dont use salt on their roads.

Body parts are expensive, even fitting them yourself, by the time you've prepped and painted them - just might not be the most econmical way to go.

Personally I dont use fillers on mine. I lead fill. It's time consuming but lead doesn't absorb water (which in winter contains salt!).Water gets into the  filler and you're back to square one.

I'd love to use my 40 everyday but think that I'd be fighting a losing battle in this country.

Perhaps I should justify my reasoning: Behind the front valence is a cross support spot welded in 4 places. The water/salt gets trapped between the back of the valence and the cross member and rots it from the inside.

The f/wings supports are welded to the wings and the rot starts from the inside

The rubbers on the outside of the windows shrink with age and the w/s slips down inside the doors and they dont drain too well so they rot from the inside out.

The rear body cross member (including the curved ends wing supports) are only spot welded to the body. the W/s gets in and rots them from the inside.

Mine are all restored, coated liberally in POR paste and POR15 but I still wont take it out on salted roads, but maybe I'm just fussy!

Rodger
elvis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool i take all your points on board and find them all strong valid points it sounds as the very lest if i do go ahead it would be better sharing my miles between other members in the fleet  to avoid the worst of the seemingly *beep* weather in the uk

but more so be very carefull about what the vehicle i buy and give it full going over first any chance of some pics of what to avoid
thanks roger for the help so far
elvis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to post a few pics of my other 4x4 but not able to yet sorry folks not yet used to the rules n stuff yet
rodger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

will try and post some pics of problem areas tomorrow.

What is your other 4x4?

Rodger
elvis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeeps all oldish ones i have a good freind who is a member hopfuly he will post a pic of my jeeps
PtP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

elvis wrote:
jeeps all oldish ones i have a good freind who is a member hopfuly he will post a pic of my jeeps

I presume that's me! Question

These are the only ones I could find and recognise as part of the fleet. Very Happy

elvis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou my very good freind peter
elvis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was just thinking what is the wheel stud sacing on fj40s   and apart from rodger who has been very helpfull thus far are there no many owners on here
rodger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elvis,

Dont know what the PCD for the wheels is but the stud pattern and spacing is consistent throughout many of the earlier models . 40 thro' 80 wheels are all interchangeable and it's only offsets that vary - I think! I have 60 series rims on mine which are wider and have no problems.

Sorry I've not posted the pics yet - time etc but will try over the next few days.

Regards,
Rodger
Cruzerboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:34    Post subject: 40 series in the UK Reply with quote

Hey Elvis! Reading that dialogue was interesting and Rodger has some interesting points. Salt corrosion would only be a problem if you didn't protect and take care of your BJ/FJ in the UK. I would be interested to know what sort of dosh you would be prepared to pay for a nice specimen. In December I bought a 1981 BJ here in Australia for 4085 quid - is near mint with a few rust freckles. It has lived by the sea most its life, but has been garaged for most of it. Getting that machine (I'm just thinking through a scenario for you Elvis to get hold of one from Oz) to the UK would cost a grand, then you have the MOT hurdle. I don't think any of that is a show stopper. Probably would need to get the brakes over hauled - I have found that unless they have recently been done they tend to be munted or in need of work. (thats another grand tops - replacing all the drums cylinders and pads). Another problem that occurs frequently are flattened springs in the rear - 500 quid and you can do this yourself (I hope).

I'm on no. 4 of my BJ's (all been '81's) and I have great respect them. Roger commented that he wouldn't use it every day - perhaps that 6 cylinder would hurt your wallet too - I forget the cost of fuel in the UK...!!! Stick to the 4 cylinder 3400 3B. OK so almost everyone has to overtake you, but you should be able to trundle along at 60 quite happily. Sure - take it out every day. They love the attention and the smaller diesel engine will mean they don't know your name at the petrol station.

Safety: this has been my biggest concern. Only a seat belt between you and that wall of steel, glass and knobs. Take the roundabouts easy keeping it on all fours and you should get by fine. You have the defensive advantage of seeing over everyone's roof, and being about the tallest 4x4 on the road, so you get a bit of safety there. I would have loved to have had a BJ in the UK, but they are just like hens teeth aye. One of my big concerns would be having it nicked. It will attract a lot of unwanted attention and they are as easy to break into as they are to fix. The bonnet latches simply spring open and a tea-leaf can simply help themselves to whatever leaving you stranded. Modify it with a hidden latch or lock.

See that Landcruiser Appreciation Society on FB - thats me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: