2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Water on the brain???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markbatey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 18:43    Post subject: Water on the brain??? Reply with quote

Had a fantastic day out yesterday with the new (to me) 80LC at Langdale Quest in North Yorkshire - I still can't believe where this truck will go without even breaking sweat!
But now I'm a bit worried that I've got water in places it shouldn't be. There were a couple of water splashes at least a foot deep, and now I'm thinking I might have got water in the diffs or somewhere.
Is it an easy job checking whether things are as they should be, or is the LC waterproof at those sort of depths?
Only bent a couple of things on the way, I mean, that's what those running boards are for innit? They look much cooler bent upwards at that jaunty angle... and who needs that fog light anyway? Oh, me, at MOT time. Doh!
LC is an import, no front and back diff locks, 4.2 diesel.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 18:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth draining and refilling the diffs unless you have extended diff breathers. The standard ones are quite good at keeping the water out but not infallible.

Yes the 80 is the Mutts Nuts as far as off road vehicles goes, better than anything I've ever known and I have known a few - Landrover series 1, Disco, Rangey, Cherokee, Full sized Cherokee etc etc.
Towpack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most capable vehicles I've ever driven off road was a Suzuki SJ413 I owned a few years back.With an 80 inch wheelbase,decent tyres and (lack of) weight there was virtually nowhere that little jeep wouldn't go in mud or snow and that was without any fancy traction control or cross axle diff-locks etc.No good for pulling a 2 ton horsebox but in it's element off road.The achilles heel of the LC and many other big 4x4's is their weight,good for towing but bad news on a steep muddy slope!
The biggest single governing factor in off-road performance is tyre choice.
Try it with road tyres on and you're not going anywhere for long no matter what vehicle you're driving.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
markbatey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be big, but it went down steep gravel tracks with no bother, standard road tyres. Amazing, felt really solid. And the little hire trucks that the Langdale Quest use seemed to be having loads of bother, as far as we could tell from the radios they give you. Burned out clutch, another one just stopped. But I suppose if you rent out anything to a bunch of hamfisted beginners it'll break in the end. I'm now sold on auto boxes for this sort of stuff - even I couldn't go wrong and stall it...
Thanks for the tips, I've been going to change all the fluids - only had it a month, and intended to do the job over Xmas. But there's something unappealing about clambering under a truck when there's three inches of snow on the ground. Now it's all gone, and there's no excuse any more.
The engine's been doing an odd thing, sort of surging - the revs going up and down just a little at light loads, about once a second. Stepping on the gas stops it, but it's a bit annoying. I'm hoping changing the auto box fluid will fix it. If it doesn't I'll come back for extra tips...
[/img]
DaveN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I had with my little suzuki was that 1st gear low ratio just wasn't low enough when fitted with bigger tyres. Really need one of those modified transfer cases with much lower gearing.

Talking about breathers, I saw in an american mag with these new little things to save running longer breathers. They were just like a little bellows, bit like you used to get on motorbike forks, but were sealed at one end. The other end went over the breather fitting on the axle. As the axles heated up they simply expanded a little, and as they cooled they contracted.
RogerFo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking about Toyota Land Cruiser HDJ-80 or Suzuki 80LC here?

Hopefully, Toyota...

Anyway, Markbatey is talking about the engine surging; can it be the effect of the EGR?
Which model (year) is your 80?
LJ-70 -85
markbatey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 1995 model, import.

Trying to fix the surging, I had a look at tweaking the boost compensation yesterday. There's a large-ish nut under the diaphragm of the pump, quite hard to get at, and mine won't shift. I'll put some penetrating oil on it and see if it loosens. But under the nut is a three-way connector with what looks like fuel pipes going into it, and I'm a bit worried about squirting diesel all over the place. Or maybe they're just air pipes, it's hard to work out. Anyway, it's not as simple as the tip on the lcool site would have you believe.

Has anyone done this minor mod?
Towpack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may be looking at the wrong nut there.The nut you remove to get at the boost compensator adjuster is behind the one you have described.It should have only one rubber air hose on it.

2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2003 GT XCR3000
markbatey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right - got nut no. 1 off today, and I can't see a toothed wheel behind it. I'll have another look.

I think this surging problem I've got might need a proper diesel techie to sort out - it's happening consistently at about 1500 rpm on a light constant throttle. That's probably where the turbo starts to come in - I'm wondering if it's something to do with that. Might leave the boost compensator alone for the time being.

Read somewhere that even changing the fuel filter can fix these things. Has anyone got any experience of a surging problem like this?
Towpack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boost compensator located behind the nut with the air hose on it alters the fuel delivery after the turbo has started to 'boost'..The 'off boost' compensator is located on top of the diaphram housing and is much easier to get to.It's a screw adjuster with a locknut and usually has a dab of yellow paint on it.This adjustment will probably have more effect at 1500rpm than the 'on boost' compensator.I think the turbo kicks in nearer to 2000rpm than 1500.

http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/tech/1hd-ft_pump_adjust.html

2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2003 GT XCR3000
markbatey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, done that, and it definitely sharpens up the low end throttle response. But it doesn't fix the surging. I've found a local diesel guru, called believe it or not, Jeff the Diesel. He suggests I try a bottle of diesel fuel additive to clean out the system, and see what it's like after a few days. I'll let you know what happens...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: