Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Replacing an LSD rear Diff with an e-Locker (OEM) diff - LC5

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 14:20    Post subject: Replacing an LSD rear Diff with an e-Locker (OEM) diff - LC5 Reply with quote

I'm starting to look at what's involved here in switching out my OEM LSD rear diff for an OEM e-locking diff I got off flea-bay.  The new one looks good, and has only 10,000 miles on it.  The switch can be had for under £40, and the loom seems to be available.

Jon recommended I look into getting a gasket for the rear carrier and confirming that the carrier won't need too much modification.  Toyodiy lists both gaskets with the same part number, so that seems to suggest that there won't be an issue:

The gasket part number is 42181, RRP is €6.72 so I may just get one anyway, as I'll need one.

Anyone got any other pointers to worry about?  Reasons to NOT do this??
Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 14:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the locker itself I didn't find any different part numbers on the axle between locked and LDS. Best bet is pull the shafts and drop the diff. If I'm right you can pop the e-locker in and stick it all back together and if I'm wrong you can stop pondering it  Laughing it's not a big job and has the advantage of letting you check your rear wheel bearings / hubs are AOK. I always use RTV on diffs not the paper gaskets but I would still get one to check before putting a days labour into the above.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a full part no. Gary BTW, and I do see a different gasket in the EPC. You should have 42181-60120 now and would need 42181-60130 for an e-locker. Get one of the first, or one of both and compare. If cutting a bit out of the first one gets you the second one then you're good to swap.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at LC's 90 rear axle strip thread: http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6934 6th picture down the slot on the right hand side of the opening is what may need cutting out of yours so the locking mechanism can pass through. Not sure if the holes for those two long studs will line up or need the old ones filling and new ones making.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
You should have 42181-60120 now and would need 42181-60130 for an e-locker.

Interesting, though, that the 42181-60130 part is also used for 'Rear Electrical Diff Lock & Air Suspension' so it *seems* that this is not an impossibility - probably another 120-based platform (e.g. 4 Runner) has this combination somewhere.

I'll get some gaskets on Saturday and have a look.

Oh yes - what might be 'a day's work' to the Doctor (the Time Lord, no less), is probably a week or so for me, with much cursing (mostly from SWMBO, no doubt!)  But I'll give it a go  Laughing  Will be different without a Lincomb-style audience to pass appropriate comments ...  Laughing
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm - seems there is a different rear axle housing assembly..

42110-60870 Air Suspension and LSD
42110-60890 Rear Electrical Diff Lock and air Suspension

So perhaps this may be much more complex than dropping in an ARB air-locker  Confused   Depends on whether I need the key-way or not, and if I have to get it cut.  And if that's the case, I'll flog the diff and buy an ARB air locker sometime.  Crying or Very sad
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have an angle grinder now Gary, that's all you need to cut the casing  Wink You can use the e-locker gasket as a template, nice and easy.

Sell the actuator and keep the rest if you go that route, the R&P are worth the purchase price alone and you'll get a good chunk of your money back on the actuator.

An ARB is going to cost a heap of money to do the same job but be less reliable. In case you're wondering, the reason I didn't go for an e-locker on the rear of mine is that there's a design weakness in the 80 & 100 rear locker that I decided on balance I'd take the ARB's unreliability instead.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Olazz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
An ARB is going to cost a heap of money to do the same job but be less reliable. In case you're wondering, the reason I didn't go for an e-locker on the rear of mine is that there's a design weakness in the 80 & 100 rear locker that I decided on balance I'd take the ARB's unreliability instead.

W, thats a very interesting comment, why do you say the air Locker is unreliable?

From what I know and the numbers of owners who have used them all over the world, they are just as, if not more reliable than the electronic switched OEM; simply air operated...

Spill the beans, whaddya know that we don't?

Read my travel Blog:
WWW.derfstravels.com
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting write-up here on lockers and diffs in general:

Diffs and stuff
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I've an '04 LC5. Have I a LSD on the rear? If so I didn't know or how do I find out for sure?
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - it'll be a Limited Slip Diff.  The lack of a diff-lock switch on the dash just to the left of the steering wheel, next to the 'second start' switch (you have a 1.5" blank instead) will confirm, as will the sticker (if it's still there) on the rear diff cover saying LSD oil only, and no connection to a wiring loom for the actuator.

Only the LC3 came with the e-locker, and without traction control.  Interesting that they've reversed that for the 150 now!  The new LC3 comes with ATRAC and the LC5 gets a rear diff lock and ATRAC, IIRC.

Cheers
Glenn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 18:16    Post subject: lsd Reply with quote

easy to check for a lsd.Jack up both rear wheels, turn one  wheel forward and look at the opposite wheel it will turn the same direction if it is an lsd. or it will turn the oposite direction if an open diff.

gary do you want to sell your removed lsd? my lc4 has a standard open diff.
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
Yep - it'll be a Limited Slip Diff.  The lack of a diff-lock switch on the dash just to the left of the steering wheel, next to the 'second start' switch (you have a 1.5" blank instead) will confirm, as will the sticker (if it's still there) on the rear diff cover saying LSD oil only, and no connection to a wiring loom for the actuator.

Only the LC3 came with the e-locker, and without traction control.  Interesting that they've reversed that for the 150 now!  The new LC3 comes with ATRAC and the LC5 gets a rear diff lock and ATRAC, IIRC.

Cheers

Embarassed  Embarassed I did an oil change a while back and didn't use LSD oil, just the recommended gear oil. Wonder what effect that has had. Have I just screwed my LSD? And there was no sticker that I am aware of....*beep* that anyway.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that it necessarily damages, it just won't work with that oil in. You can get an additive to put in 'normal' oil. OK someone will correct me, but I don't think that LSD oil is special, it just has some magic added. Oil in general terms isn't damaging, but may contaminate parts. What do you reckon chaps - just add some LSD additive?

C
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olazz wrote:

W, thats a very interesting comment, why do you say the air Locker is unreliable?

From what I know and the numbers of owners who have used them all over the world, they are just as, if not more reliable than the electronic switched OEM; simply air operated...

Spill the beans, whaddya know that we don't?

On the OEM e-locker, AFAIK, the locking mechanism doesn't fail, it's a nice simple mechanical design. The external actuators do eventually fail but that usually takes 10-15 years and many can be repaired and last much longer. Repair or replacement of the actuator is a simple job that doesn't require removal of the diff and there is always the option of converting to cable or hydraulic activation.

On the ARB locker, there's a couple of oil seals on the carrier that are an interferance fit and I can't see them lasting anything like 10-15 years before they wear out and can't hold the 80? psi needed to keep the carrier locked. To change those the diff has to come out and strip the carrier. Over the last 8 years or so of reading threads about failed ARB oil seals and oil being pumped out the ARB air pipes and axle breathers i've concluded they're not as reliable as the OEM e-locker.

Anyone seen ARB literature that claims a life expectancy for their locker oil seals?

I'm not saying I think ARB's are bad, just that I think you're more likely to end up having to pull an ARB'd diff back out to fix a locking issue than you are an OEM e-locker.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: