4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

fj45 en route from OZ: Going to need some help!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon 45

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:14    Post subject: fj45 en route from OZ: Going to need some help!! Reply with quote

Hello All,
I've been looking for a 45 for about 5 years and never had the money or garage to buy one.  I've been watching this forum and the US sites for a while, always from afar.
Finally I bit the bullet and bought this in Australia:

As I'm new on here it won't let me post the link but it can easily be found by searching google "fj45 1964 au brendon"

Would post some pics but not very expert at using forums.
In case you can't find it, its a fairly agricultural (farm truck) old FJ45 with a wooden tray back advertised as a 64 model (I believe its a 67 from the chassis number he gave me).   So I'm buying it fairly blind but reading between the lines it does run, fuel tank needs securing and brakes not connected. Its currently awaiting shipping.
I want it as the basis for restoration and the condition of chassis and body was most important to me.  This one seems to have lived in mild climate and I'm told its solid.  My plans are ambitious:  I'd like to shorten the frame between the wheels and rear overhang, build a new box for it (lose the tray), mild lift, modernise brakes, PAS and fit modern toyota diesel.  Ie the look of a SWB 45 with modern underpinnings (still on leafs).
This, I'm under no illusions, will take me a long time and £££.  Also I will have to rely on friends for the metalwork as I have no real fabrication skills.... But who cares I've wanted one of these for ages.  Also I might enjoy driving it around as is for a bit if only to wind my girlfriend up.
I have a set of OME springs and dampers coming with it though held off on shackles til I see the truck (for shackle pin diameter and how much I want to further lift it over 2.5" the OME will give).
So just thought I'd introduce myself.  I welcome any advice and guidance as this unfolds for me.
Cheers
Simon
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Hilux Darren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to our very small club of 40 owners

Got 2 I want to restore will be stripping my bj41 very soon
Scubadec
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Web Page Name
This one?
simon 45

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes that's the one....quite a looker no!?!?!
Scubadec
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Very Nice. Hope its everything you were looking for.
rodger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon 45, and welcome...

Our numbers are growing especially around this area... Malcolm has 2 x 45s one that he's shortening; Jonnie has a number of 40s and I've got my old girl and we all live in and around North Staffs - not far from anywhere in Cheshire!

If you know of items that you will need with it try and get the seller to include them if he can - it'll be cheaper in the long run.

Regards,
Rodger
BJ40 with HJ60 running gear
simon 45

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rodger, and all.  I'm near Crewe so all pretty local. Good news.  

I take your point about shipping parts with vehicle, hence the springs and dampers but logistically its difficult to go much further than this.  Also before I see it I don't know what I need, other than a side window.  If it was coming from USA I would have made more of a wish list:  They have so many companies selling parts for 40 series don't they?   Anyway, now the long wait for it to get here.  In which time I can research what powertrain I could use.
busaboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon,
I am looking at doing exactly the same.
Can you list the procedure of how you went about the purchase and then the shipping, logistics and tax/registration side of things please.
Any advice would be helpful, cheers.
simon 45

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Busaboy,

So, I saw the vehicle I wanted on e bay.  I contacted sellor to make sure he would be up for dropping truck at docks and for what $$.  He agreed so I did a money transfer for the deposit.  Then I sent out for quotes for shipping.  Its cheaper if you get a running vehicle so it can be shipped ROll on ROll off ie like a ferry.  Mine isnt a runner so its probably going in a 20ft sole use container.  I can put more in container if I like.  I also got a good quote for part load container ie they wait til they can fill a container and your vehicle goes in as part of the load. haven't decided yet.

Vendor gets paid and (hopefully) drops truck at Australian depot / port.   I pick it up at a depot in UK near port.

Its complicated as so many small costs.  Costs breakdown roughly into origin (costs at Sydney), shipping and costs at destination (Southampton).

Origin costs include port of origin documents and handling fees, ie pick up car from local area (n/a for me) loading fees, move container from depot to docks.

Shipping (the easy to price bit)

Finally destination charges ie unload from ship, move to depot, devan (get truck out of container) shunt container back to docks. paper work for customs clearance and port authority.  All in all this UK section is about £500.  Plus import duty 10% on value of car AND SHIPPING.

Its a bizarre industry with hundreds of agents willing to quote.  also still many unknown costs such as container randomly being sent for customs X-ray or customs deeming it necessary to clean truck before inspection and charging for it.  Also the shipping line costs for documentation seem less than transparent.  This is why I am going for one company for all stages rather than a Aus shipping agent to southampton then a UK agent for customs clearance. If one company does it all they can't claim someone else is at fault and caused me expense.

All in all RO RO seems to be about £1500 and 20ft container about £2000 all in except import duty.  So its not cheap. Offset vs condition of car vs UK example maybe.  

PM me your email and I will send you comprehensive quote example and names of companies who are competitive.

Documents-wise I will be showing customs a receipt for sale to me of the vehicle as proof of ownership No log book equiv.  I am not even beginning to look at registering it as it won't be roadworthy for quite some time.  I will prob have to prove its age with chassis no or similar.

Hope this helps.  Key is the sellor must be co operative and trust worthy, fingers crossed!
Cruzerboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Simon - best of British with that OLD cruiser - '67's are hard to find, but you got a bargain even for Oz. I see lots of 1980-2 BJs/FJs - many unfinished projects or just piles of spares. Hope it all works out. At least its not a major investment yet. Keep us posted. When are set to receive it??
simon 45

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Cruzerboy, hopefully getting it on a boat in next 2 weeks then 35 days (all being well, pirates etc!)........longer the better really as I'm trying to buy a house at the same time and right now have nowhere to put it. details...

FYI theres a guy in Perth selling another 67 with two beds (one rusted out he says). He was on e bay and on Ih8mud fj45 classifed corner.  Be happy to do a deal if anyone bought this even on the rusted bed in case my SWB pick up bed idea doesn't come off.

Let me know if you set up anything shipping spares.
oflynno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

you lucky so and so,i would give both left and right nuts for that

let us know how much it cost to land it and how long it took
spackrackman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Simon, have you any space left in your container? I want to get a camping kitchen unit from these guys  http://www.drifta.com.au/CamperTrailerKitchens.php would happily put in something towards your total shipping cost.  I bought a bj40 back from oz a while back on RORO, customs was 800 quid cash and about $1500 for the shipping with a little bit like you to the guy as persuaisian to dump iot at the docks.  Worked out great for me.  The truck you have looks awesome.

Jonnie
simon 45

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnie, PM sent.

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: