Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

5-speed conversion, which box? H55? Fitted to which LC's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon 45

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 21:21    Post subject: 5-speed conversion, which box? H55? Fitted to which LC's? Reply with quote

Folks,

Too many questions!  (I also posted this in General Technical area hoping to draw on other owners knowledge of their vehicles)

I'd like to learn about converting a fj45 from 3-speed (count them 3!) to 5-speed and have been searching US forums for transmission information.  I believe (and please anyone correct me if I'm wrong) that a H55 5-speed will fit.  

This doesnt seem to have been available to them in US so they seem to acquire them imported mainly from Australia.   MAn-a-fre website lists such items.  
Did UK landcruisers get these transmissions?  Are they in 60 series and if so which years?  Anything else?  70 series? Any other solutions spring to mind?

Finally, long shot, anyone got one (similar) for sale?

Many thanks
Simon
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 21:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

simon 45

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:

Thanks to roscoFJ73 in General Tech Discussion (won't double post any more but thought this was useful)

Quote:
Australian forums like outerlimits are the best places to get info on H55F gearboxes,most of our landcruisers had the 5 sp.The auto was not that popular in the 80s

They came in all 7* series(except the light duty models like LJ7*) up to 99 and all 6* series. A few 4* series diesels had them from 82-84

For your application you need one from a 3F or 2H diesel with the coarse spline. The spline count is either 10 or 11,I can never remember.
If you use the 2H diesel box you will need the petrol bellhousing.
You can use the H55F from other engines but you will need to change the input shaft which involves dismantling the gearbox

A 10/86- gearbox is the best as the transfer case had the 38mm idler compared to 32mm, and more reinforcing on the housing.
Later models also had a lower low range

So I found one in breakers.  Now some disc brake conversion parts....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: