Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

How much is my 80 worth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 19:41    Post subject: How much is my 80 worth? Reply with quote

1993/L, 180K miles, UK model, Metallic red, auto, climate, leather, wood (well plastic), 2" OME springs and dampers, newish BFG MT's, stainless exhaust, tons of history with reciepts for all the bits I've done. Reasonable condition with a few scuffs on the bumpers and a few chips etc. Drivers seat bolster a bit knackered. Overall about average condition. Everything works.

What do you reckon? I've seen some on e bay with pretty high reserves, and some in Autotrader for what looks like silly money (£6 or £7K). I reckon about £3500 would be on the mark.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 19:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

joinerman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Sounds as if it's worth £3500 of anyones money.

Brian
joinerman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add are you getting another LC or are you leaving us?

Brian
DaveN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey guys, don't all rush to give me the benefit of your valuations (Joinerman excepted, of course).
Towpack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon nearer to £5k is more realistic.Good,documented service history counts for a lot.Pity you can't sell it in the USA or Canada.Over there good,full spec,deisel cruisers really do fetch CRAZY prices!!

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reckon you should advertise for 5k, but are really funny things to sell. Fuel prices not helping at the moment, no one believes such a large vehicle is good for 25+ mpg. Good cruiser's are hard to find, so good luck, bet you'll be sad to see her go Crying or Very sad
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again, what have you found to replace the cruiser ? I've been trying various things recentley, new disco: not impresed, v6 turbo diesel not that good, very thirsty, interior very plastic, image ? nuff said, new range rover would be good with a 4.2 landcruiser engine fitted ! current 3 liter bmw lump slugish even when chipped, nissan patrol: needs bigger engine, new landcruiser 4.2 : nice but needs 16 inch wheels, why have they followed fashion and put low profile tyres on it? even going to try one of those Audi A6 allroad thingey's, all a bit academic unless i win the euro lottery tommorow !! but seriously , was lucky to get the chance to do fair bit in them all, on & off road, but none is really a masive leap forwards from the 80, in some ways a step backwards, i see to many problems with fly by wire, common rail systems operateing in muddy, off road conditions, to really trust them. I can fix them, but you can't fix a broken throttle pot, with a bit of string in the middle of knowhere. Smile
DaveN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a Honda Shuttle for work, doing about 35K/year servicing car a/c equipment. I've lifted the seats out, and can easily get all my stuff in it. It reasonably quiet, reasonably quick, handles nice, is auto, has cruise, but most importantly, it's all bought and paid for. Trouble is, it's getting a bit leggy now.

I also have my LC, that only really gets used once or twice a week when I go shooting or dog training down the farm. I really like it, great engine, decent off-road with the lift and MT's, solid as a rock, doesn't matter too much if I nudge a gate post or everyone gets in it with muddy boots and wet dogs. But not very nice for long distances or work.

So I'm looking for something to replace the pair, and have been for a while now. Obviously I don't want to spend much money!!, and I also need something that's not going to be in the garage every week. also need an auto.

So far:-
Discovery - drove nice, but bloody expensive and fall apart at the seams. A guy I know is on is third after rejecting the first two with suspension and engine management problems.
Navara - not a good engine/auto match, lower speed limits as it's a commercial.
Shogun - expensive, and short servicing intervals, and bloody expensive servicing.
Subaru Forrester turbo - no good off-road, drinks the fuel.
Land cruiser - expensive, look odd.
Toureg - expensive, and I see too many off them at dealers with their guts hanging out.

So I'm currently looking at a Hyundai Terracan (stop laughing at the back). Cheap at £17300 for an auto, reasonable performance with 160bhp, quiet (inside) rides ok. It' basically an old shogun underneath, so is fairly durable, and comes with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. They're hardly the prettiest thing to hit the road though. The downsides are expensive servicing, like £275 for the 10K oil change, cruise is an extra £675. But I was planning on doing my own servicing, and arguing when warranty work needed doing! As over 5 years it will do about 180K miles, so if you add up the dealer charges, it comes out at over £8000...wow!

But then I sit back, and think the Honda's still going strong, so's the LC, so why not just save the money and stick with what I've got.
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like we're both begining to come to same oppinion, interesting bout VW toureg thing, thought that might be good with the V10 tdi in it. I'm very much like you, cruiser only comes out to play weekends, trips to wales, lake & peak's, walking 2 Wet dog's, moutain bikes etc, will probably last forever , gets used to tow the odd really heavey things other mates 4x4 's won't shift. Also trying to combine 2 cars into 1, but what the hell, i like my cruiser, good luck with your quest Smile
DaveN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried the Pathfinder, but that had the same engine/tranny issue as the Navara, plus it was well plasticky inside.

The Toureg is nice, but really complicated, so you're tied to the dealer for ever. I can just imagine the gearbox packing up just outside the warranty, and the dealer turning round and saying:- sorry sir, it's out of warranty, we can't repair it and there's no recon units, so that'll be £5000 for a new one. They've got you by the balls, with a nice car that's going nowhere till you get your wallet out. The warranty's a bit stingy too, 60K miles. The V10 would be nice, but £50K, I'd rather buy a bit of land with it.

Maybe the bes tbet would be a used 100 series? Least I'd know how to fix it!
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyundai gets good reviews in 4x4 mags, also the Kia sorrento as a budget buy, used 100 seems best bet, just finding a good one ! took me ages to find good 80, still seems you may have contacts in the trade so that may help. Be a shame to loose you to Hyundai owners club Very Happy
joinerman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay with an LC dave, as you say at least you can fix it yourself, but there again there so reliable. Having said that why do we all use this site. Am i going on.

Brian
500SEC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's anything that can replace an 80 !! My plan is to repair and replace over time... like grandfather's axe. The size, economy, space (not too big or too small), looks, diff locks, repairability and recognition all over the world make this model unbeatable. For me, the money spent on repair and replacement is more than beaten by the value returned overall... it might not be worth much on the open market, but that's academic for owners who are in it for the long run.

Btw, Hyundai make a model call Galloper, which is the original-series Pajero with a different grille. I spotted one in France last year, and more recently saw several on a recent trip to Korea.

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of agree too, not many other vehicles that can go on as long as a well maintained 80 series either. I intend to run mine to at least 300K before I change it.
mettisse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:04    Post subject: How much is my 80 worth? Reply with quote

As a new-by owner I have to agree with what has been said, I see the 80 as a big meccano set, the advantages are obvious, I plan to methodically check through and refurbish the entire vehicle where needed, and hope to finish up with a vehicle that's expedition ready and have the confidence that it will be reliable to a fault. I, as others, have looked to the vehicles mentioned and came to the same conclusions, so, for me, I will stay with the 80.You may be interest that our french cousins have the same opinion on the 80, while at recent off-road events in the Alps, the french displayed their enthusiasm and regard for the 80, I saw several very nicely prepared on the trails. Best regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: