4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Intermittent engine shudder??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 13:01    Post subject: Intermittent engine shudder?? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Picked this up on PradoPoint (whilst searching for info on blocking my EGR valve ...  Laughing )

Hi, is anyone else experiencing a problem with a severe intermittent shudder whilst the vehicle is in gear at idle and under brakes (at traffic lights for eg)?
I first experienced it 4 months ago and Toyota replaced the engine mounts which fixed the problem, but it has now come back. Toyota tell me that mine is the only case of this that they are aware of - I would like to know if anyone else has had or is having this problem and if Toyota (or anyone else for that matter) has provided a permanent solution?

The reason I ask is that I've experience the exact same issue, but kinda ignored it - just knock it into neutral and it seems to be fine again after a bit.  Now it seems as though there IS an issue!  And the engine mounts aren't just blocks of rubber, either, but controlled by a vacuum and the engine ECU to go soft or hard depending on revs and speed Shocked   That just blows my brain - WHY DO THIS???!!!  One more damn bit of electrickery to go wrong.  So I suppose because I've had mine in mud and water etc. it's now knackered.  Hmmm - starting to lose the faith here a bit.  Maybe time to chuck the 120 and get a 100 ???  Naah - maybe not, but I am getting p1ssed-off (but that beats getting p1ssed-on, I suppose  Wink )

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 13:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

marlot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it, but only when the engine is warming up.  Its fine when warm.
marlot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=670

"May 06 Landcruiser LC5 D-4D auto had all 4 injectors replaced in March 2008 to resolve a vibration / judder through the car when held stationary in drive in cold weather. This problem has re-occurred and Toyota are not sure what it is and want the care for several days to test."
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it is auto related. It makes no mention.

Sad thing is, I have also noticed it. First time was a while back. Did not mention it as it went away. I figured fuel or something.
I was at a red light, 1st gear and clutch in. I noticed both gear lever and t-case lever started wobbling. Not the normal vibration wobble but a pretty heft side to side movement. The rev counter was steady though. I thought it might have been a missing cylinder (Truthfully, I thought it was the engine struggling because one of the cylinders is seizing  Shocked )

Anyway, it was the same for about 10-15 minutes. When I left work it had gone. It's been back once or twice since.

It looks like the engine wants to stall but the rev-counter is on a steady 650/700rpm.

Interesting it's happening to others as well.  Sad
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanted to add:

It was after about 25 miles so not a "cold engine" thing then.

WHERE'S THE BLOODY EDIT BUTTON ON THIS FORUM! ADMIN!?!?!?! Some consistency please?
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - all the other posts I've since read seem to suggest that it's something to do with external temperature, not engine temp.

Why didn't Mr T stick to happy recipes that work like the 80 and 100 (OK a few niggles but nothing like the 120) - noooo - had to sell more cars to the US market, didn't he  Twisted Evil
Cyland101

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm s o I have also had this on and off for the last year or so... Like you guys thought it was just a cold engine.... oh dear... one more thing to watch out for
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did any of the basic models have conventional engine mounts you could convert to?

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
seph234
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked  more probs Shocked

Il be sticking with my colorado for a while, at least i know its probbaly only going to crack its head Laughing

Joe
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
Did any of the basic models have conventional engine mounts you could convert to?

Hey Jon - I'm hoping maybe a Colorado set will fit ....

The pics here and here show quite a complex set up .... vacuum hoses everywhere  Laughing

If I can get a LC3 model number I can check on that lot, but suspect it'll all be the same.

So the model I have is 05/2005 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER (KDJ120R-GKAEYW) - if anyone with an LC3 has a model designation for an LC3 I'll go check.

I was given an SA model designation (04/2007 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER PRADO (KZJ120R-GKPETQ)), and that still had the 1KZ-TE motor in it, and has very different mounts.  So I think I need a Colorado with the D-4D engine for comparison - Tommo - you out there??

Cheers
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're in one of the diagrams in the FSM but I can't see anything else refering to them which is odd.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Blues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

My engine started to shudder when ticking over, sounded like she dropped a cylinder, but only for second. It would do it even when warm and then stopped doing it - untill thismorning.
On reflection, I think it only does it when the ambient temp is well below freezing. Is it possible that there is some ice forming in the intake or similar?
I have had icing problems on bikes and outboard motors but never on a diesel engine.
RINKER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, you guys have me worried now. I have a 2005 LC5 D4D auto form new 55k not too much mods ARB bar Warn 9.5XP mild lifted front end to cope with winch weight ,using TJM springs.BFGs . BUT thought I was imagining the lumpy idle thing at the lights until now. I notice it most I think when I slow from motorway speed to a junction. It's not severe but noticeable. As a matter of interest I also run Hiace vans 2.5D4D and I,m sure they have a similar tendency almost like a rough idle ? .
IanW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also having this problem with my 2007 LC5.  Sad

Has not been there since I purchased July 2009, but has been quite bad over the winter.

Off to see Mr.T as still covered by extended warranty.

Ian.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, I thought we had 2 hours to edit the posts or some thing like that ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: