Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Thinking of buying 1...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMax

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 23:43    Post subject: Thinking of buying 1... Reply with quote

Hello folks,

i have come to you for some advice.

I currently own a 2.5TD Mitsubishi Shogun - and am considering changing it for an Amazon - i would like to get my hands on a 4.2TD, however these things still cost a fortune compared to the cost of buying and the year of manufacture - not to mention the milage.

I have noticed that you can pick up a younger Amazon 4.5 petrol for far less than the 4.2TD and with alot less milage - other than the obvious reason (fuel economy) is there a huge diffenence in performance, reliability & durability ???

If i were to get the petrol version than it would have to be LPG converted - has anyone tried this ? and if so whats the performance and fuel economy difference -

What kind of MPG should i expect from the petrol version in comparison to the 4.2TD

Any advice would be most welcome.
MM Rolling Eyes
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 23:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

The Proff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 13:53    Post subject: LPG conversion Reply with quote

MadMax - I own an N reg VX automatic (Amazon-type), and had it converted in September. Did a fair bit of research, with the following results:

Quotes from £800 to £2200 - worked on 'you get what you pay for' and paid £1600.

Single-point or multi-point system - don't be pushed into a multi-point - not worth the extra, certainly for my Cruiser. If you're not sure, and the garage can't explain the difference, don't use 'em!

Find a garage that will tell you the pro's and con's:
Slightly less calorific value than petrol (energy in the fuel), but more efficient burning, and cleaner - better for the engine.
Slightly less mpg economy.
Need still to start on petrol, and especially in the middle of winter, run for a mile or two on petrol.
DON'T run out of gas in motion - can cause a backfire and take out your air filter. About £1000 to repair. Just keep an eye on the gas and top up often.
Fuel indicator on change-over switch is not very good - use your mileage trip-counter - much more reliable. With a 90 litre tank I usually go from 140-170 miles between fillups. Note - you will never be able to fill the tank to capacity - the most I have put in is 70 litres.
MPG on petrol: 13-15, on gas: 12-15 depending on traffic and roads.
Cost of gas: Morrisons 29.9p per litre, local Calor suppliers from 31.9, BP 39.9 - only use BP when you have no alternative!
Availability: quite widespread, but fewer suppliers in the South. I have about 10 to choose from within about 20 miles of Bolton.
Where to put the tank? Normally in the spare wheel space under the boot. For long journeys I put the spare wheel in the boot. Otherwise, I leave it at home, and carry a couple of tyre-weld cans and a compressor. You can also get a tyre rack to fit on the back bumper.

Had one problem with my conversion - one of the shut-off valves kept shutting, but the supplier sorted it very quickly. No problems since.

Overall - the best car I have owned so far - including company cars! A good, luxurious motorway cruiser, an easier style of driving (which has calmed me down a lot!), and still a very good off-roader.
MadMax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your in put - much appreciated, i am just wondering whether the 4.2TD would be an overall better buy - what do you think ?

MM
The Proff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not owned a diesel version, so I can't say whether it is a better buy. As things stand at the moment, LPG is cheaper to run than diesel in fuel costs, despite the lower MPG. Don't know about overall running costs. Unless you want to run bio-diesel, and risk getting caught - I wouldn't!

What will happen in the next budget is anybody's guess.
Aged William

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 14:32    Post subject: 4.2 V's 4.5 Reply with quote

MadMax - Hi

I've a brace of VX's - a '91 4.2 TD Diesel ( manual ) and a bi-fuel ( petrol obviously ) LPG converted 4.5 ( auto ). Agree with EVERYTHING the PROFF says above .... LPG is notoriously prone to 'popping' ( no not the dance - but blow backs ), though on the 'cruisers this is considerably better than other 4x4's such as Rangers and Rovers etc.

The LPG is ideal for me - M25 stop start .... but the torque in the diesel is considerably better ! - if you want to chat more on the comparisions give me a call !

AW
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree pretty much with the other 2 posts .A lot of the lwb landcruisers run 2 tanks in Aust.The original is replaced with a lpg tank and a smaller petrol tank (50 litre) is placed forward of the axle between the chassis.
I was speaking to someone in the trade who is also a landcruiser fan and he reckons the 4500 motor makes the most reliable of all conversions.
There plenty that have reached 300k with no probs.
Some motors just wont drink the lpg without getting sick no matter what you do (some of the mitsibishis I think).
Personally I would go for the diesel if you like easy maintenance/economy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: