NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Avon Tredlite Tyres

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louielandcruiser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 19:35    Post subject: Avon Tredlite Tyres Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Just brought a set of 15x10 steel rims for my LC 80.

The rims needs rubbing down and painting.

They are fitted with Avon tredlite tyres, which have good amount of life left in them

Does anybody know anything about these tyres?  They are 4 ply rating and 31/15.50/15 in size.

Lewis
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 19:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

joinerman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have an early 80 then, as for the tyres i'm no expert but i thought they should be 6 ply but someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon to shoot me down, lol
louielandcruiser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, yes its a 1990 80 series.  I love her to bits 240,000 miles still drives lovely.

Just tried the wheels on my truck, they look great, but stick out past arch about 2 inchs.  Is this illegal??

Bit unsure about the 4 ply rating, i think this is the same as tractor tyres, so would have thought would be limited to something like 40mph?

The rims are great, just idealy need sandblasting and pos powder coating .
joinerman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep if they stick out past the arches then it's illegal.
PtP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

louielandcruiser wrote:
................ but stick out past arch about 2 inchs.  Is this illegal??.................

If the tyres stick out past the arches, it’s not a MOT issue, but if you get pulled by Mr Plod and he’s looking to give you a real going over, then you could get done under the construction regulations.

I always wonder though how the road going quad bikes get away with so much tyre showing past the wheel arch! dontknow
Brett

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you planning on using the Tredlites on the road?  Shocked

I thought they were an offroad only tyre used on supacats etc  Question

20011 VDJ 200
1995 HDJ80 GS, 1HD-FT
louielandcruiser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of possibly using them for laning, as there is a good amount of tread left on them.

Theres a lot of good greenlanes round this area, with not much road travel between them.

I only brought them for the rims,was planning to fit 33`s to them.

Not sure yet though, might look at selling the tyres.  Would anybody be interested?
Brett

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to p*** on your chips but you should check the speed rating on the tredlites, I think you will find (if I remember correctly) they are rated at about 40kph which is far too low for a Landcruiser (legally). I think they may also be marked NHS which stands for Non Highway Service.

If I'm right & the Politzei catch you running them you will probably be in bother  Shocked

20011 VDJ 200
1995 HDJ80 GS, 1HD-FT
louielandcruiser

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had another look at tyres, there is only the ply rating stated.  I totally agree about the spped rating i found some info on web saying they are rated to 31mph.

Was thinking of just using them on green lanes, would seem a not the use them as there is so much tread left on them.
AJS4X4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tyres, go almost anywhere, these are classed as a low ground pressure tyre, not sure where you will find them now and at what cost.

Andy.
louielandcruiser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info guys.

I have a slight problem i purchased these rims fitted with Avon tredlites.  I removed one of the tredlites today while at my dads garage and we fitted a friends 33x12.50x15 tyre to the rim to test on my truck.

I then tried it on my 80 and was suprised how much it stuck out past the arch.  We then mesured the rims and found out it was a 15x9.

The rims do look deep dish compared to other steels rims i have seen.

What i would like to know is whats the best size rim for a 33x12.50x15 tyre?? on 1990 LC 80???

I was not happy with the amount of tyre sticking out past the arch, and would be concerned about it wiping my arch out while off roading.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated

Lewis
Brett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis, you can fit a 33" x 12.50" X 15" onto either an 8", 9" or 10" rim. The problem you have with the rims you are using is the backspacing/offset of the rim.

I'm not sure what the recommended offset is for 80 series I think it's zero Question

Maybe someone else can chime in?  dontknow

20011 VDJ 200
1995 HDJ80 GS, 1HD-FT
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard 16" alloys for the 80 LC are certainly zero offset - I think they cast it into the rim...  The alloys on my Colorado had -15 cast on them but now we have the 80 alloys on her...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: