Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Power steering

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
groopee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 18:33    Post subject: Power steering Reply with quote

Hi, I am new to this club so you will need to bear with me.  
I have a 96 Prado which has developed a steering problem:  when my car is stationary and the engine is Idling (about 750rpm) and you turn the wheel to the left, it turns with no problem, but when I turn it to the right it is very difficult to turn (as if there is no power assistance).  I have just replaced the power steering pump for a second hand one and this has improved it, but not by a lot (someone recommended this).   Sad  
Please help
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 18:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Leslie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try bleeding the system if you have not allready done that . Jack front up , wheels off the ground lock to lock top up reservoir .
Is the piping to steering rack in good condition. You could check the pressure .
Not sure if there is a steering reservoir filter.
You can assume the new pump is ok if it has not made that much difference to the fault , then the steering rack looks like the problem.
possible that your old pump was o.k then.

Cheers
groopee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 18:16    Post subject: power steering Reply with quote

Thanks for replying Leslie.  I followed the instructions in my service manual and bled the system as you have advised.  I have checked the pipework and that looks OK to.  I don't have a pressure guage to check the pressure is OK, but I will ask around to see if anyone I know has one to try that.
If not, it looks like a phone call to see how much a second hand steering rack will be and I might try putting the old pump on e-bay.
Do you know if there are any valves that can be removed on the rack to see if there is a blockage?
Thanks again.
Crispin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it not be a mechanical problem with something else? shot in the dark but could it not be something else seized that is putting so much load on when turn it right it just feels like there is no assistance?

You've already been stung for an unneeded pump. Trial and error fixing could become expensive.

Front end jacked up, engine off, is equal force needed to turn both ways?

Take no notice of me, just thinking out loud Wink
groopee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 19:29    Post subject: Power Steering Reply with quote

Thanks Crispin, any help is appreciated.
While the front of car was in the air for replacing the pump and bleeding the system, I could turn the wheels both ways by hand with no resistance.  It is looking more like a fault with the steering rack.   Confused
Thanks again.
Leslie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked Milners £350 + £100 surcharge .
If you have a manual you can see the breakdown of the steering rack , you could try and get a repair kit from our friends or try a trade motor factor.
I see in the manual that the rack has turning pressure tubes on the rear of the rack , check to see that you have not pinched one of these pipes as these are the directional flow from the control valve .
Which is your problem power to one side.

Good luck
groopee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 20:30    Post subject: Power Steering Reply with quote

I think the pipes are OK, but I will check again when I next get chance.
The price from Milners is a bit to much for me at the minute so might have to try a repair kit.  Sorry for being silly here, with you saying get a kit from our friends, did you mean Milners? Confused
Thanks again
Leslie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ment Toyota , Rolling Eyes Try roughtrax 4x4 , a  search on the net , theres a lot better prices than milners , I found one reconditioner £200 plus or recondition yours with two years warrenty . Do a search. not as bad as you think .

Cheers
Wildmutt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for a replacement steering pump for my 98 colorado. Mine has started knocking when it gets up to temp. When you get sorted and are thinking of selling your pump, let me know how much  or PM me with details. I'm in no rush as the pump is working, just noisy.     Thanks

Steve
groopee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Leslie
I have checked the pipes and they are OK, its looking like a fault with the control valve Assembly so I am going to have a go at stripping it down when I get chance (properly in a few weeks).  I have also enquired about seal kits from Toyota, (get ready for this)  for a full kit: £147 and for a small kit (I think this is for the control valve) £73.19.  So I will try a search on line like you suggested.  Once I have done it, I will keep you informed of the outcome.

Wildmutt, once I have mine running as it should, I will get in touch (sorry for being silly again, but how do I do that on here?)  Are you also sure this is the same pump as yours (in my book, it says it is for 1KZ-T and 1KZ-TE models) It also uses a drive gear in the engine and not a pulley system.
24Seven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

groopee wrote:
Thanks again Leslie
I have checked the pipes and they are OK, its looking like a fault with the control valve Assembly so I am going to have a go at stripping it down when I get chance (properly in a few weeks).  I have also enquired about seal kits from Toyota, (get ready for this)  for a full kit: £147 and for a small kit (I think this is for the control valve) £73.19.  So I will try a search on line like you suggested.  Once I have done it, I will keep you informed of the outcome.

Have a look at this thread, http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6280

Stripping the control valve assembly is not for the faint hearted, in fact I had a bit of a nightmare removing the rack, who said it was easy?  Laughing

I will try and get some photos tomorrow when I have recovered a bit............my poor old back.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done fella. I take it the operation was a success? Looking forward to the final analysis.

Getting the rack off is one of those things that can go dead easy, or be a swine. I did mine no probs. The hardest part was getting the track rod ends off the swivel hub. I went that way instead of unscrewing the ends off the rack. Other than that it wasn't any grief. Sorry you had a rough time. Pour yourself a large one.

LC
groopee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 20:25    Post subject: steering rack Reply with quote

Thanks 24seven, I would appreciate the photos.  I will be having a go as I am short of money and it is the only way I will be able to get it done.  So any information you can give will help.  Also the link you gave was very helpful as I found Toyodiy, and I will see if I can purchase the items individually instead of buying the kit for silly money.  That will save me money as well.
My plan of action was:
I was hoping to undo the racks securing bolts and lower it down without removing the tie rod ends, then remove the control valve Assembly while in situ.  Will this work from your experience?

Thanks
24Seven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 17:48    Post subject: Re: steering rack Reply with quote

groopee wrote:

I was hoping to undo the racks securing bolts and lower it down without removing the tie rod ends, then remove the control valve Assembly while in situ.  Will this work from your experience?

Thanks

Not sure, but if you have to remove the rod ends the chances are you will damage the boots as they are so tight on the tapers I had to use a "Fork type" splitter and a lump hammer.

The good news is that the control valve which you want to work on removes as one item which can then be stripped on a bench, so IMO it could be done without removing the rack.

In my mind this may not be your proplem though, but I guess worth a try Smile

Any questions just ask, I have posted pictures on this thread here

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6337
Wildmutt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 1KZ-TE engine fitted to my Colorado. It is the UK spec of the Prado with less toys. To get in touch, either post on here or, on the bottom of my posts, there is an icon with "PM" written in it. Click on it and you can send me an email. This is the same on everbodys posts. That is what I meant by PM me.  Hope you get sorted soon

Thanks

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: