Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Barn find. ...starting a long standing Landcruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonMac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 21:15    Post subject: Barn find. ...starting a long standing Landcruiser Reply with quote

Hi all...  new to Landcruisers but fairly experienced with cars, cans and bikes ..
I'm in the process of acquiring a 1999 GX, commercial. It hasn't been moved, started or washed in well,over 10 years..   If there was a Landcruiser in Great Expectations ...  this is it....   you can barely see through the windows ...but enough to see the speedo ...it has a genuine 71k miles on the clock.
Ideally I would like to tow it to a garage and go through everything before trying to start it. The brakes , belts , remove the old diesel , change the fuel filter...    
My question is, is there anything I shouldn't do... or should look out for.  Are the brakes prone to seizing?  Should I do anything with the turbo or waterpump ....  or just get a battery and go for it!

Thank in advance ,

Don
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 21:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tow it. Remove it on a trailer.

Roger
Juddian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope its been in the dry all this time.

Brakes will need full service, Japanese calipers are prone to seizing anyway, handbrake is the drum inside rear disc design, you'll have to remover the rear disc/drums to check that out.
Cambelt i would change, its been sat in the same place for ten years, i wouldn't risk even turning it over via the starter motor, luckily cambelt is easy on these, probably even easier than on Volvo 240's.
Yes to fuel change, as well as normal service items, i'd also change the coolant.
Tyres will probably be scrap.

Before you do anything get underneath and check the chassis at the back end especially, and the rear axle especially suspension mounts, corrosion could be an issue made much worse if it got parked after the annual winter when they douse the roads with the filthy muck.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice above, especially about checking the rear axle for rot. New axle cases are available, but not cheap.

Whenever I hear about a barn find I always think it must have been parked up for a reason... prepare the worst, and be pleasantly surprised if it's OK. Possible big ticket items include a cracked head, damaged autobox (manuals are very strong), and a broken transfer box, all of which have been known on Colorados. However, these are far from fragile trucks as the many high mileages reported on this site and elsewhere will attest.
DonMac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 19:08    Post subject: Thanks for the advise guys. Reply with quote

The story is that a neighbour took it in exchange for some professional work he did for someone. He had notions of doing it up as a "surf truck ".    He's has no mechanical experience whatsoever.  I don't even know if he has a car...  he certainly hasn't had a have a parking for over 10 years.    It has been parked in his underground car park since it was driven in.   Irish roads weren't salted 10 years ago, so there is a good chance it will be ok underneath .   I can arrange a sliding body recovery truck to bring it away, but I have to start it to get it out of the garage ...
Older vehicles are getting very hard to insure in Ireland , so it's not worth too much there.   I will take it North and import it to the UK.  It's only requires an MOT and a bit of paperwork to do this.  
It's a Manal , and a commercial, so no rear seats.  Suits me .
Thanks again..
Don
DaveWall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

71K and been in a garage for 10 years... just fire a battery on it and see what works.... a) you want to check gearbox/engine OK before any money being spent b) If it's been in the dry this long should be fine, that's 10 years of not having UK salt on it!!!

I dont think Jap breaks are any worse than any others for seizing, just bear that in mind if you do get it rolling, but test the handbrake first and I would put money on them being OK with a little use, once you know it's a go-er give it all a full service.

Diesel would be find - any crud in it would have settled nicely, hand pump the primer first.... and check all the fluid levels. if it's an auto check there isn't oil in coolant or anything silly..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: