Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LJ71 oil specs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catmower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 18:41    Post subject: LJ71 oil specs Reply with quote

I have a K reg LJ71 2.4 Auto

I am off on an off road trip to the Alps soon.

I want to take a selection of oils for topping up etc but i don't have a manual to refer to for specs.

I have had a look through the garage an found a full bottle of Gear oil EP 80W/90 GL-4 unopened, and a bottle of Gear Oil-Differential EP 80W/90 GL-5 opened but nearly full.

are these of any use, if so what would i use them on?

What are the other specs for oils and fluids that i would need?
Jim

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 18:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the 70 series have any special requirements. So I am basing my comments on general experience of other Toyotas.

These oils should be OK for the transfer box and axles. The transfer box would probably be happy with both the oils but the axles need the EP stuff.

I would either change the oils or at least top them up before setting off on a long trip. The same applies to the auto box.

Have a look at the breather valves on the axles. I recently replaced them on my 2002 100 series as they had rusted solid (no air in or out). This meant that the axles were 'breathing' via the oil seals on the drive shafts. The old oil looked as if it was badly contaminated with grease from the hubs as a result.

The old breather valves just push into a short length of fuel pipe on the 100 series so replacing them is easy. I used small fuel filters as replacements.

Good luck with your holiday trip.

Willy
catmower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the advice

Jim Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: