Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

TVSS - Removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Alarms, immobilisers and key fobs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garfield

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 22:05    Post subject: TVSS - Removal Reply with quote

I have a 1998 Landcruiser Colorado VX, my keyfobs are playing up - sometimes getting the car to unlock with them is a pain, the range on them has always been 'disappointing'.

I have read the horror stories related to TVSS and how the system components are 'obslete and unavailable' so I now plan to fit an aftermarket system and in order to do this the TVSS has to go.

Does anyone have

a) Experience of and instructions for removing the TVSS.

b) Best Thatcham Cat 1 to fit ...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 22:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Garfield

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 22:15    Post subject: TVSS Reply with quote

This is a bit of a double post but just in case somebody reads here but not the Alarm / Immobiliser forum.

I have a 1998 3.4L Colorado (and have had for 3 years now) so far it has been bullet proof (if somewhat expensive) in use.

However my keyfobs are becoming unreliable and unlocking the car is becoming a problem more and more often (regardless of battery age) so I need to know how to remove the TVSS system. Having read the horror stories about the TVSS system locking peoples cars and then failing to unlock, added to obsolete unavailable parts I want to replace the TVSS system before it is too late, I can not afford for this 'lockout' to happen.

I will be fitting an aftermarket system as soon as the TVSS is removed.

Anyone here know how to remove it?
potshot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

See viewtopic.php?t=8672
Garfield

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I had seen it, yours is the situation that I don't want to be in.

I went to the techdocs site but found nothing useful.

Did you get anywhere with the removal? because I really don't want to retain the TVSS system period - it sucks in spades (the remote range has always been poor).  I will be asking my Toyota dealer what he can do (since the car is already in there for other work).

I have managed to obtain copies of what look like the ones supplied to toyota dealers who fitted the TVSS system in this country titled RS3000 Installation manual, it looks like it is all plugs and connectors, since I don't currently have my car here I can't verify the manuals details, if it is all plugs and sockets the removal should be reasonably straightforward.
potshot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information to completely uninstall the system isn't actually in the Tech Docs but HO said if we took it to a dealer they would tell them how to do it or if we still wanted to use an independent then they would have to be ripped off by getting the information via their premium rate hotline. Our indepenedent wasn't prepared to play their games and we were all saet to go the dealer in Barnstaple when our garage solved the problem!!
Garfield

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to my dealer and one of the techs (25 years a Toyota tech) checked and the TVSS ECU is, as has been indicated now obsolete and no longer available, but he says he knows how to remove it (has done it before), I have been quoted £100 to do the job so I will be getting it done, for £100 it isn't worth my messing around and screwing something up.

He also said that fixing the issue on a locked out vehicle is simple if you can get it recovered and that any Toyota dealer who couldn't fix it is yanking your crank, it is an old system and isn't that clever all it does is intercept/break the starter circuit - the immobiliser is nothing to do with the TVSS.
Erestor
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the  TVSS ECU sat behind the stereo in the dashboard? Think it can just be unplugged...

'96 LWB Colorado GX 3.0 TD
 - CB Radio; VX Accessory Meter pod; Battery Isolating & Split Charge System; 2x Optima YT S 4.2 Batteries; 265/75/16 BFG A/Ts; 30mm Wheel Spacers; Impreza WRX front seats; reconditioned engine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Alarms, immobilisers and key fobs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: