NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Driving to Nordkapp Norway in Feb 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wobbly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a reason that the woolly mammoth died out.....

I'm just reading 'The Real heroes Of Telemark', you can borrow it when I'm finished!

If you go for the midnight sun we can meet up, if you do go in February let me know where your route and I'll come and thaw you out in May  Very Happy  Very Happy

Cheers

Pete
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

24Seven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Sims wrote:
god you lot are chearfull...lol

Sorry good point  Laughing

On the positive, wild camping is legal Very Happy
Sean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Sims wrote:
god you lot are chearfull...lol

great info though thanks..

haha ha. i think lemmings come from Norway.

anyways is phishing rain here today. just as im driving thru ruggedy, mountainy, fjordy, waterfally landscape of the "Lofthus" islands off the north est coast. (yep i know i spelt that way wrong. )
wobbly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just found out there's no direct ferry to Norway anymore....

That probably explains the high mileages on a Nordkapp trip.

So, ferry across the channel, drive up through Denmark, then ferry over to Sweden?

Or is there a better option?

Thats a long way in an LJ78!

Pete
24Seven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking into it, I planned a Ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg then drive the rest of the way.

EDIT.

Just looked into it some more, it's going to cost 140 euros return for the toll bridges from Denmark to Sweden, it maybe cheaper overall to catch another ferry from Hirtshals to Bergen.
Rich Sims

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobbly wrote:

So, ferry across the channel, drive up through Denmark, then ferry over to Sweden?

Pete

Thats exactly what we're doing..

We're leaving 12th feb crossing dover to calais and taking a week to get to the top of sweden (there is a bridge now from denmark to sweden) where my bird and a couple of friends are flying in to join us then we have about aweek to cruise on up to the top of norway and do some mooching around then taking about a week to come back down the west coast of norway.

Simples..lol
100" trayback defender challenge vehicle sponsored by Devon 4x4
Sean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich dont be put off from what were penning.

i just came across some photos of were i used to work, during January . i dunno if the flash is on the camera when took these.
these would have been when the light was good...

and im going to try post a video here. of the airport at 2100, see how quick the snow gathered around the wheels!

[video width=# height=#]<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid472.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Frr87%2Ftonka48%2FP1050845.mp4">[/video]
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobbly wrote:

Pete

Harwich to Esbjerg ferry
Drive Esbjerg to Hirtshells,
Hirtshells to Kristiansands ferry

vette
Sean

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive found me a nice warm library to use the computer in. I'm now 4hr north of to Oslo. Ive covered about 1000km in the last 2 days so today im having time out and tidying up the car.

I was in Europe in early September so i could attend the Buschtaxi Treffen landcruiser meeting in Germany. which was good craic altogether.

anyways all over the northern side of mainland europe theres ferry ports going in to Scandanavia. I took one from Germany at Putgarrden on to a biggish island 130km south of Copenhagen, then took the Oresund tunnel/bridge over to Malmo in Sweden. its an impressive structure and worth doing if you have a chance.

allong the main road north theres the factory where Saab builds jet fighters and the like. i think theres a visitors centre . but about 20km stretch of the road youre on they have static displays of the planes. you cant really/ wouldnt want to stop on the road to get good photos of these but they are cool looking up on their pedistals.

Stop off at the Husqarvarna museum to look at chainsaws, motorbikes and gun making tools. if the missus doesnt like the idea tell her theres whole sections dedicated to washing machines, cookers and sewing machines, hahahah

Like their Volvo s the Swedes have made their roads very safe. almost the entire lenght up to the Finnish border theres 7ft high fences to prevent forest monsters straying onto your bonnet. I found a relief when i got into Finland at Haparanda, that they have a more laissez-faire attitude to death by moose a$s thru the window.

I zipped up thru Sweden. so i could get north without the snowtyres. They aint much to see on the east coast road. i still have visions of driving thru a very long hamster cage. there is one great big suspension bridge which has some neat rest areas on the northern side. Try "Maxs" burgers theyre a welcome change to Macca-Ds.

If you need any woodsman stuff or hardware look out for a chain of shops called "Swedol" (yellow siginage ) this is were you'll buy your knife. which everyone carries up here.

You can pick up good free road atlas's at Statoil in Denmark and Sweden  . half full of adverts but thats why theyre free, and once youre driven thru the country you can use it for starting campfires.

Crossing the border into Finland at Hapranda you'll notice nice big supermarkets etc. thats cos food is taxed less in finland, fuel is also cheaper, so good if you can run from denmark to finland on one load.

heres some piccies of the trip so far in Norway.

tourist centre and toilets at the Arctic circle.........Closed of course

I didnt lie about dried fish heads.

driving conditions at 600m+ near the arctic circle. this is 2 days ago so about the 12th october. up until then i had only seen light dusting of snow in the previous week on mountain tops. there was snow on the road for about 40km at one stage i did stick the car in 4WD.

what 4pounds 50 buys you on a ferry from Lofoten Islands to Bodo. i could even see the botom of the tray thru the chips.
Sean

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes almost forgot i found China on the road north thru sweden..very surreal set amongst the forests.

Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just picked this one up.

Viv and I have driven from Bergen to the Northcape but that was in June.We also went to the Northcape in December but that was on the Hurti Gruten  (Norwegian coastal steamer ). Viv took a picture of me at the North Cape centre holding a copy of TOR magazine. It was blowing a blizzard outside but the picture secured me a 12 months free issue of the mag. To get us to the centre, we needed a snowplough to clear the road in front of us.

We will be going back to Norway in a few weeks time. Once you have been, it draws you back, again and again.

Roger
Sean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Rodge

if youre really bored check my travelblog type thingy on http://lcoc.ie/showthread.php?62-The-White-Elephant-does-the-North-Cape.
Rich Sims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 more sleeps then we're off.. yippee Laughing
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Sims wrote:
8 more sleeps then we're off.. yippee Laughing

We are sure you will have a fantastic time and will look forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

Although we are not driving up this time, the pull of Norway is as strong as ever.

Enjoy!

Roger and Viv Very Happy
Rich Sims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roger, just spent the last 2 saturday fitting winches for the trip and preping the vehicles..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: