Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Offroad Trailers/Trailer Tents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fridayman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 19:19    Post subject: Offroad Trailers/Trailer Tents Reply with quote

Has anyone used these before? The really nice ones made in Oz seem to cost a fortune (£14k). So I'm thinking of buying a Sankey trailer to refurb and mount a rooftent on top.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 19:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wobbly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a review of 5 or 6 of them in this months LRO mag, top money.

Sankeys fine, and if you are towing with a big diesel - and are confident with your diy skills, seems a good idea.

Am guessing they come in either 12 or 24 volt electrics as well.

Pete.
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a late "Wolf" spec sankey and you won't go far wrong , they have disc brakes that are realy affective when correctly set up , well made if not a little heavy , only downside is they are LR pcd so you need to carry a spare wheel for the trailer ... but much more affordable than the other options .... nato hitch will bolt straight onto the rear cross member too , so you can keep more ground clearance at the rear ... the normal tow hitch severly limits off road exploits .
fridayman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimbo wrote:
Get a late "Wolf" spec sankey and you won't go far wrong , they have disc brakes that are realy affective when correctly set up , well made if not a little heavy , only downside is they are LR pcd so you need to carry a spare wheel for the trailer ... but much more affordable than the other options .... nato hitch will bolt straight onto the rear cross member too , so you can keep more ground clearance at the rear ... the normal tow hitch severly limits off road exploits .

Those are the ones that I've been looking at. Slightly harder to find in good condition, but will still work out significantly cheaper than any off-the-shelf offroad trailers (even the diy kits). I was hoping to buy/make a hub conversion so that it rides on LC90 6 stud wheels - that way I can carry 1 spare for truck and trailer, and in an emergency use a trailer wheel on the truck.

Do you have any pics of the nato hitch on the rear cross member?
misterpaul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at Conqueror off road camper trailers in SA. Very impressive pieces of kit...come with everything including the kitchen sink. They even make an off road caravan believe it or not, but even the basic model costs more than I paid for my car!
wobbly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

http://cgi.e bay.co.uk/EXPEDITION-TRAILER-AND-OZ-TENT-RV5-/160486634716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item255dbfb4dc
fridayman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobbly wrote:
Here you go:

http://cgi.e bay.co.uk/EXPEDITION-TRAILER-AND-OZ-TENT-RV5-/160486634716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item255dbfb4dc

Hmm, very tempting... I do like the Oz tents.
wobbly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tent on its own must be worth a few bob. If you would use it then it looks a good buy, even at 2.5k.
fridayman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobbly wrote:
The tent on its own must be worth a few bob. If you would use it then it looks a good buy, even at 2.5k.

I was just about to splash out on some TJM suspension, and now this comes along  Confused
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

fridayman wrote:
Grimbo wrote:

Those are the ones that I've been looking at. Slightly harder to find in good condition, but will still work out significantly cheaper than any off-the-shelf offroad trailers (even the diy kits). I was hoping to buy/make a hub conversion so that it rides on LC90 6 stud wheels - that way I can carry 1 spare for truck and trailer, and in an emergency use a trailer wheel on the truck.

Do you have any pics of the nato hitch on the rear cross member?

Hi Fridayman,

Talk about a thread revival,,,,,,,,,

Any way, how far did you get with the prospect of taking the 5 stud LR hubs off, and fitting 6 stud LC hubs?

vette
fridayman

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying this Smile

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell,

You don't do things by half do you?

From a clapped out Sankey, to a top of the range full blown camping,,,,,,,,,,

vette
fridayman

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

It's going to be home for a year, so we may as well have something that keeps us dry Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: