NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Drove a 150 for the day... and didnt like it....

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightStalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:38    Post subject: Drove a 150 for the day... and didnt like it.... Reply with quote

Hi all...

I had the chance of driving one of these for the day whilst my silver beast was being fixed under warranty aaaaand I didnt like it  Sad

Dont get me wrong, I do like the looks of it and the interior has most definately been brought into this century but the ride and feel of the drive wasnt that great...

I found the ride harder and the steering was way to light for my likings, I was thinking of perhaps chucking my LC4 120 in for one of the new 150s either LC3 or LC4 but dont think I'll now  Crying or Very sad

Regards
Rob
Cool
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dannyson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the steering light at first but I soon got used to it ... trust me....

As for the ride - yes it is firmer - and a bit fidgety on very poor roads - and I've got used used to that as well - and now I find other cars too smooth and 'wallowy'.  On motorways and smoother surfaces it glides along and I feel so much more in touch with whats going on.  There is next to no body roll and I feel the car is firmly 'planted' on the road.

For me  .... the car is so much improved over the outgoing model ...... IMO  Very Happy
dannyson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the need to add to my last post.... I'm concerned that people will be put off buying this car as a result of the post by nighstalker or any other reviews.

The car does feel alarmingly different at first from the LC120 - with the seemingly light steering and firmer ride.

I bought mine w/out even test driving it - that how sure I was it would be OK.....

But when I got in it (after I had parted with my wedge) I had a mild panic attack - the steering felt so light and unresponsive - and the ride over the rubbish roads around me felt too jiggly (we have no idea how to build roads properly in the UK - see Honest Johns report in the Telegraph about our dreadful roads).

But rest assured .... the light steering feeling lasts but a day or so ..... the jiggly ride over really poor roads .. still unsettles me ... but a full load of passengers  - including a trip to two weddings to Cornwall and Hampshire from London this last weekend all said what a lovely smooth ride the car gave AND IT DOES ....... on half decent roads...  So I really wouldn't get hung up on that....!! really!!

Its a totally different machine from the 120 - sticks to the road like glue - with no body roll for me - amazing - adaptive headlights / underfloor lighting  .... in fact the list is endless .... I still have no idea half of what it can do or display ... I just know that it is a welcome to the 21st Century and an awesome machine ....

I had a Colorado before and then the LC4 - and what a difference that was  Shocked ..... this is much the same - a totally different machine .... and the engine is so quiet ....

Maybe I'm overstating it ..... but I will be surprised if you all don't love it ..... I certainly do ... best car I've ever had by a mile  Very Happy  ....... just give it a couple of days or so to get used to the difference....

Mine is black .... base black .... so if your not into 'detailing' (it does look gorgeous in black) - maybe another colour? - but it looks stunning when properly detailed - not so good when grubby - obviously......! Rolling Eyes
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes all sorts and we all have our likes and dislikes but.....
" Jiggly ride over realy poor roads " ...... its a 4x4 it should float over rough roads ! what on earth would the ride be like on the African dirt roads ?
" Sticks to the road like glue " ........ its a 4x4 .... if I wanted a sports car I'd buy one.
No wonder Mr Toyota has lost the way with the Landcruiser , we all demand so much from our vehicles ..... some want a large estate type vehicle with on road "presence" ..... some want a 4x4 that will cross Africa in more or less standard trim , others just want a big car to take the kids to school in  Twisted Evil .
Personaly I accept that my 80 is not like a car on the road .... is not the fastest away from the lights or is even eco friendly ( NOT  Laughing ) however on what passes for roads here is sussex it rides smoothly and I have no worries about dinging an alloy in a pothole ( not like Mrs G's racing Merc sports estate thingy )
will cruise at 80 should i choose to do so on an M way , but more to the point is still a tough 4x4 that was built with that in mind first and foremost with very little compromise.
Not knocking you or your 150 Dannyson it obviously suits you and what you use it for .... and yes given the choice of a trip for 500 miles on a motor way I would leave my 80 at home and take your 150 anyday ..... just for my compromise the 80 works out better , I would hate to be the guy who designs the next LC , it will have to be green , run on water , drive like a sports car , look like an off roader and even be able to cross muddy fields , but still do 100's to the gallon while being 100% recycelable .
dannyson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the reviews I've read and u tube videos I've seen its performance off road is reported as second to none and a real winner in Australia from all accounts - and certainly matches if not beats a disco.  As for African dirt roads it looked good on that too.

Basically its a firmer ride than what I was used to in the 120 - having test driven a Lexus RX450h the firm ride of the two cars is similar - both firmer than expected.

I love it now I've got used to it ..... Cool   Give one a try for a few days ...... I think you'll be well impressed and realise Toyota have not lost the plot at all for the Land Cruiser.....  Very Happy
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I could afford one  Smile ..... if only I could find that ticket i lost  ......
dannyson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
dannyson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a  u tube whatsit showing the approach and descent angles of the new 150 (off road obviously) in comparison with a new disco .... the 150 shows it to be much more ...... 'capable' than the disco ..... I was impressed anyway ........ Smile
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree , the new disco and RR are very road biased , don't even mention the RR sport  Mad ... now driven by the worst drivers on the road  seeing as they all sold their BMW's and got RR sports  Smile .
Both the disco and the RR rely on clever electronics to have any off road ability at all , they all use airbags as springs which is fine untill you pull a pipe off or even worse puncture a bag , if you have ever driven a RR seriously off road in tough going the noise from the traction control working the brakes etc is appalling , I thought it had broken . To be fair the V8 diesel RR is a seriously nice road car ...... the one thing the Japs have never got right is luxury interiors .
You get all the "toys" and more but the "gentlemens club" feel just isn't there on Jap vehicles...
dannyson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank goodness for that eh.......? I don't want to 'belong' to that club!....
Wader

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 22:45    Post subject: Agree Reply with quote

Drove one, too, my bosses, actually. Never drove such a boring car! No response, no feel, no contact. Just floating away. Sorry, I need more juice, more work, more savvy. And this bullshit about too much electronics? Everything is electronic these days!

- Strodar
Wader

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez!

Oooh! worst drivers on the road! Been overtaken?
Oooh! clever electronics! Just like Lame Cruiser?
Oooh! airbags as springs! Too comfortable?
Oooh! the noise from the traction control working? Not working on your Toy?
Oooh! the V8 diesel RR is a seriously nice road car? Envy?
Right! The Japs have never got right luxury interiors. You get all the "toys" and more but the "gentlemens club" feel just isn't there on Jap vehicles...
Finally right!
dannyson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF? .......  Shocked
Wader

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whimps! Get a decent car!

Exclamation
dannyson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my LC150 .......  Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: