4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

my 90 series hidden winch mount install

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arrolman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks the business. Out of interest, how much? Looking at a couple of colardo's but lack of winch mounting options have been putting me off

Cheers,
Iain
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 21:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

StephenF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks nice and stealth with the cover on. No common person would ever suspect there's a winch on there. It looks like the install went pretty smoothly overall. Nice job.
BlueRock

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

2020 update:   After 9 years, my Warn Tabor 9K winch died.   I looked into replacing the motor, but I would have had to import this from the US, which would not have been very cost effective.  Also, my research indicated that winch cables are poorly specified (with hardly any safety factor), so it made sense to increase the strength and capacity.

So, I upgraded to a Warn VR EVO 12 winch.  This offered a number of advantages over my previous winch:

(a) increased breaking strength of cable:  14,400 vs 10,000 lbs
(b) increased pulling power:  12,000 vs 9,000 lbs
(c) waterproofing and increased reliability, plus a much better warranty
(d) lower current draw (e.g., 400A vs 500A at max load)
(e) built-in wireless capability

This effectively makes single-line pulls easier, safer, and more reliable.  

The new winch was slightly larger than the old one, but it still fit into my existing hidden winch mount, with 1 cm to spare on many of the edges.  The winch mount itself is more than adequate for the increased capacity.

The control box didn’t fit into my existing custom bracket mount, but I managed to fit it on top of the winch, in its default location.  Although this is a solid mounting position, it has the disadvantage that I can’t easily see the winch cable on the drum—something that is important during re-spooling.  I have to shine a flashlight / torch into the fairlead, in order to see it.  I might try relocating the box, at some point, but it’s not that important.

Here’s the setup after installation, but before installing the winch cable:

And here’s the setup after first installing the winch cable on the drum.  The control box has been temporarily removed, along with the upper brackets, in order to allow easy access.

And after completion:

The wireless capability is a blessing, given the difficulty in accessing the control box once the bumper and grill are installed.

BlueRock
- diff drop; diff breathers; dual Optima batteries w/ground cable
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: