NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC5 Active Height Control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSisson

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:40    Post subject: LC5 Active Height Control Reply with quote

I have now spent more than the car is worth trying to rectify a fault that occurred over a year ago on my 2004 LC5.  New shockers all round (which owed me nothing being the original ones) followed by everything connected to the AHC apart from the compressor and air bags.  The car would not go into low mode and was dropping down in normal mode when parked overnight.  Running out of answers I took it to my local Toyota dealer to be told that the compressor needed replacing at a cost of £2,500.  Was then told that the dryer could not be transferred so that was another £500.  2 days after fetching the car back, it dropped right down to its bump stops and couldn't be driven.  A wrecker ride back to the dealer.  Told that the reservoir was leaking which had caused the new compressor to fail, they said they could exchange the compressor as faulty (a big favour as it was my car that had caused the failure) and renew the reservoir at a further cost of £2,000.  I'm in too deep now so no choice but to plough on ......... asked them to thoroughly check everything else on the car as this really would have to be the last big bill. Told that, for its age, everything else was fine and this would solve my problem once and for all.  Reservoir replaced and car returned.  Parked overnight, dropped 30mm (which I believe is the "low" setting) compressor kicks in (noisily) to set it at normal on starting.  Booked back in with Toyota next week as they say it should not drop down in park.  When they checked it following the repairs they left it in "high" overnight and it didn't drop a mm. I tried the same last night and it sat at 920mm, never moved an inch.  In normal mode it parks at 880mm but is down to 850mm by morning. Please don't tell me I should have swapped to normal suspension in the beginning as hindsight is a wonderful thing.  Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts before I take it back to be told it's a new fault that has nothing to do with the work already carried out.  Thanks in advance.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the airbags been tested for leaks , the rubber air bags can perish at the top of the airbag unseen due the the rubber outer cover with age with hairline cracks that allow a tiny continual leak while parked up say over night so in the morning they lose quite a bit of air .
DSisson

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for reply.  When it first went to Toyota they had to send off for the "fault finding guide" as I don't believe they had worked on one with this fault before.  I did tell them that the air bags had not been changed but they said they had checked them and they were fine. As the ride of the car is nowhere near as comfortable as it used to be, I did ask for a second time but was again told they were fine.  If the air bags were damaged would it not also drop when left in high mode or does it stay up in high without using the bags ?
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know you have a good point there , the only other thing I can think of is are the sensors dirty or rusty inside due to water or damp getting in .
Toyota UK tecs do not have much experience with air suspension , unlike the USA where many Toyota/Lexus 4x4s have them fitted so the main dealers have lots of knowledge on the toyota air suspension , If I were you I would try looking on you tube for similar faults on toyota 120/lexus gx470 both are the virtually the same car other than the Lexus having a V8 petrol engine . try typing both models on you tube there will be plenty of videos on the toyota/lexus airbag rear suspension faults , so if you yourself are not doing the repairs you could at least give the Toyota tecs or other mechanics a heads up on what to check out ,
   good luck I hope it works out OK as you have already spent your money changing the most expensive parts of the rear air suspension components .
DSisson

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I will look on you tube before I take it in.  All the sensors, actuators etc have been replaced so hopefully no fault with them.  If I ever get to the bottom of it I will post as it may help someone someday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: