4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Buying a Landcruiser - warning lights, help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamC

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 15:24    Post subject: Buying a Landcruiser - warning lights, help please Reply with quote

Hello
I am in the process of buying my first Landcruiser.  Currently interested in a S/H 2014 plate 56k model (3.0l Diesel) LC4 spec I think.  During the test drive I decided to buy it and lilterally 3 seconds later, the Malfunction (engine symbol) and Slip Indicator warning lights came on and stayed on.  The road wasn't "slippery". Also thought I heard a small noise from underneath - gearbox-ish maybe.  Garage says that they are going to look into it "it's probably just and ABS sensor". From what I have since read about these warning lights, it sounds a great deal more serious than an ABS sensor to me, but I could really do with some advice from people who know......   So if you could suggest what this could be and what questions I should ask, then I'd be very grateful. Just walking away is of course an option, but the vehicle seems excellent otherwise and I would hate to waste an opportunity if it is likely to be something trivial / easiliy fixed and not a symptom of trouble to come.  

Many thanks

Sam
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 15:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't engage low range or the centre differential by accident did you?
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those lights can light up for quite a few reasons , if the car drove well  with the  warning lights on it is usually some thing simple ,  like maybe a vacuum pipe controlling the egr valve blocked  , fuel cap loose or the fuel cap seal worn , or even can light up if the electrics for the tow bar are dirty or loose , many small reasons can trigger the engine light together with the slip light which also lights up the abs , plugging a diagnostic metre will instantly tell which item is the problem .
SamC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for these replies, guys.  Yes the vehicle was fine and drove perfectly. I don't have access to the diagnostics or what they revealed, but I want to have some confidence in whatever the selling garage tells me. And I have to decide whether or not to go ahead and buy it.

Thanks
]
Sam,
Juddian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite how new the vehicle is, have you been underneath for a good inspection of the chassis (particularly the rear sections), rear axle casing, inner sills between chassis rails and side steps, fuel tank protector etc.

Generally these are robust reliable vehicles, but neglect of underbody washing by first owners can see severe underbody rust quicker than one might hope, if all good and you buy it suggest you take some steps to preserve its condition.
SamC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for latest tip. It's excellent and very sensible advice and I wish I could have followed it, but too old / "waistline-challenged" to get underneath on forecourt floor.  In the end, I have got one from Toyota and at least that comes with a full Toyota 12months warranty. I am posting separately about how best to ensure that this keeps going....

Many thanks again
Sam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: