4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Air Con Re Gas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hambo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 19:27    Post subject: Air Con Re Gas Reply with quote

Hi everyone does anyone know how much gas to re fill air con as I had it done today no leaks but the guy was unsure how much to put in & today outside temperature above 30deg aircon not cold so just wondering if he’s put enough in so hopping you guys can help thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 19:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 21:11    Post subject: Re: Air Con Re Gas Reply with quote

Hambo wrote:
Hi everyone does anyone know how much gas to re fill air con as I had it done today no leaks but the guy was unsure how much to put in & today outside temperature above 30deg aircon not cold so just wondering if he’s put enough in so hopping you guys can help thanks

Hi if the job was done by a expert he would know how much, so did he just pump the gas in ? if so I would go to someone who who knows what they are doing.

on another point it is illegal to just open the taps to the air con system as you are not allowed to vent the gas to the atmosphere
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has A/C in the back it takes between 750 to 800 grams , a bit less maybe 650 to 700 grams if no A/C in the back but not 100% sure on the amount without A/C in the back , have you looked in the sight glass with the A/C on does it stop and start with liquid bubbles as the compressor kicks in and out , he should have made sure the A/C in the back was switched on on max cold when he re-gassed it because it is all one system if it was not on not enough gas would have gone into the system   for it to work properly .
Hambo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply don’t think he’s done Land Cruiser we live in Forest only a few local garages he tried to find it under the bonnet they looked it up it’s 26deg today so far & it’s cold but when it hits 30degs it struggles I will go back & see what he has to say
Hambo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say rear Air con there are no controls but I do have dual button next to air con is that what you mean ?
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have A/C in the rear you will have air vents on the roof lining on both sides of the car for the rear passengers and in the boot , and the controls for the rear aircon are at the end of the centre console facing the rear passenger seats . under the bonnet it says as soon as bubbles in the A/C sight glass stop bubbling  ( you will find the sight glass just in front of the radiator/condenser )  add 50 to 100 gram's of gas/oil mix of R134a
Hambo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony no rear air con then got print out parameters gas 800g p8490mbar oil 24g t 1.min
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention the sight glass is visible when you lift up the bonnet as it is just behind the front bumper and in-front of the radiator and condenser , when A/C is on cold you will see bubbles rushing through every time the compressor kicks in which is every few seconds .
Hambo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok will take a look soon as this heat drops back down had heart bypass this time last year so just can’t stand this heat wave we’re having makes me feel really ill
Hambo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

got bubbles but still not cold enough took it back to get it checked & its lost gas so re gas & try it again
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my 120 in early 2015 , it must have been re-gassed just before I got it because  the A/C worked well for about a month then nothing as I used it in winter to quickly demist the windows , so what I did was I put in a full can of A/C refill from Halfords and it lasted about a month  then nothing , that told me it had a small leak ,  the A/C can develop leaks due to not using the A/C at least once every two weeks due to the O rings and seals especially in the compressor shrinking due to drying out due to no oil lubricating them and also due to corrosion on the outside of the A/C pipes or cables and brackets etc rubbing on the soft aluminium A/C pipes due to not fitting them back properly when disconnecting cables and brackets and allowing them to touch against the A/C pipes . anyway I put in a tin of STP A/C sealer which seals tiny leaks like Oring and seals shrinking I then but in one and half cans of A/C gas/oil mix , I got a deal at halfords for 3 for the price of 2 so I chose 2 cans of A/C refill and 1 can of STP sealer , anyway that was just over 6 years ago and I have never had to top it up since , and I use the A/C every day for the last 4 years that I have been living in Cyprus as even in winter here in Cyprus it is 20 centigrade and can reach 40c in summer but mostly in summer its around 35c ,
Vagabond

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's lost gas in that short a time, then you most probably have a leak.

Really need to suck the gas out and put a vacuum on it, to check the system. I don't think just refilling it, is going to solve your issue.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, must definitely be a leak, to lose the chill factor like that.  I can't understand why your A/C man would 're gas again, given the circumstances, unless of course he is going to put the tell tale dye in it to indicate where leaking from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: