4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Warning Lights help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 15:55    Post subject: Warning Lights help please Reply with quote

Hello

After 3 increasingly sophisticated second hand Range Rovers (none of which let me down once in more than 150,000 miles of driving) I finally succumbed to the stories of Land Rover frailty and Land Cruiser "legendary reliability" and decided to change.  Things did not start very well, as I broke down on my first test drive, but I persevered and eventually bought a '12 plate LC5 from Burrows Toyota in Sheffield, with 50k on the clock.  

2k later, in France and on my way home, it has broken down. None of the three local Toyota dealers are willing to help before mid August (which is 4 weeks from now) so I am having to be repatriated.

The master technician at Burrows was mystified as to what could cause the Christmas tree of warning lights I have experienced, but I am hoping that someone on here might be able to help.

The text panel between the two instrument binnacles reads  

"DPF FULL  ENGINE SERVICE REQUIRED"

In the left binnacle I have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it and a yellow warning of what appears to be a car swerving
In the right binnacle I have the master engine problem warning light (yellow) the 4LO yellow and flashing and the hill descent flashing green. Pressing the hill descent button doesn't have any effect on the appearance of the warning light.

The car feels a bit sluggish, manual gear changing is very slow and 5th gear never happens; auto never selects it and manual selection shows 5 on the panel, but the gear is not selected.

ANy ideas most gratefully received,

Sam
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 15:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Vagabond

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sorry if I'm stating the obvious but "DPF full" is a message that the Diesel Particulate Filter is full and needs to regenerate. This is usually done automatically when you drive the car (and usually at higher speeds/revs). The other option is to have a "manual" regeneration done at the dealer.

The fact that it didn't regenerate automatically may suggest an issue? Or your driving style never got the revs up for long enough to trigger a regeneration cycle.
SamC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your reply.  I should have said that I had got as far as concluding a dpf issue and that it ought to self regenerate, but puzzled therefore as to why it should indicate that an engine service was needed. And also why it appeared to have affected several gearbox issues - low ratio, hill descent, traction control? and 5th gear...

Last 750 miles fairly brisk (60 ish) good cross country French roads, 800 motorway miles before that and 300 with the caravan. I don't tear about, but I like to make progress and don't dawdle!

Sam
karl2000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have a 150 so this is a guess, but I'd say the DPF full issue has caused the check engine light to come on, and the other systems disable themselves because of the check engine light.

I suspect once the DPF is regenerated and the codes cleared, you'll be OK.  

However, its a bit of a mystery why the DPF hasnt regenerated - Id have thought 2K miles including a run to France would have been more than enough to burn it off.
TR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe incorrect oil used at some point resulting in DPF damage
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its time you tried a triple dose of DPF cleaner in the fuel tank to help clean the DPF , and yes using the wrong oil can damage the DPF , any oil used needs to be DPF friendly .
andy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the other lights that are on, I wouldn't worry too much about the DPF being full, and what the first call would be is get it plugged into a scanner, in the mean time check all simple things like the alternator and engine earth straps.

On my sprinter the DPF light came on several times, but the cause was that two glow plugs were out, this has a knock on effect to the DPF regeneration cycle, so if it will not cycle because there is not enough heat in the system, not saying this is the cause in your case, but worth thinking about.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
SamC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all these helpful comments.

This car is under full Toyota warranty and if the DPF is damaged then I want it to be replaced. But I may have to prove that it is "damaged" and not simply "full". Is it possible to distinguish between a "full" and a "damaged" DPF?

Also, I'm not sure how to identify DPF "friendly" oil. Will any oil that meets the Toyota spec be sufficient?  If not could you please advise?

Many thanks

Sam
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a damaged DPF will regenerate properly.

And then, because they don't regenerate they get full...
TR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the car has a full Toyota service history then you could be more confident that correct oil had been used. It should all be documented on Toyota system.
Garage can force a regeneration and as mentioned above diagnostics should pinpoint any other issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: