All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Slow starting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Yuasa batteries standard equipment on most Jap marques, reliable batteries.
The Varta fit the 120 trays exactly, without touching/rubbing anything. Hella still going strong but never seen one of their batteries,
Probably decided to keep on doing what they do best in auto elec stuff.
As you rightly say, enough power in 1 to run the lc, Karl, I believe did just that for a while, when neg cable failed one side.
A sign of a good battery on the old 740, that's when the coca came into play on the Volvo truck, F89 ?
We're all still in touch, and happy as Larry, no arguements on here mate.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 19:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it was an FH, she only retired couple of years ago, though they got rid of the FH several years ago and she suffered a bloody Stralis or whatever the Iveco model would be that didn't impress her for the last couple of years, complete with auto box she'd gratefully managed to avoid until then.

Knowing Sis, chances are she connected that old 740 to the end connections 24v a few times but that old Volvo was just bomb proof, can't tell you how many times we kicked ourselves for selling it.
Replaced it with a W124 E320 estate, judging by the service history that came with it it cost the first owner nearly as much as he paid for it over 10 years he owned it, and it proved to be the most unreliable vehicle i've ever bought until called it a day.

Talking of arguments, not mentioning the Covid word it's like red rag to a bunch of bad tempered bulls with sore teeth, what the hell is the matter with people these days.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

FH an oldy but goody, eh. they last forever with tlc, and you want to keep forever, others you cant wait to get rid.
One over there in particular is the catalyst for it all. A lot quieter, but much more civilised here.
Wonder what's happened to timbo, hope we haven't frightened him off by our little diversion, always good to get someone up and running again, keeping the thread going, (sort of). Come back timbo !
Anyone seen toolsplus?
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

High end German cars seem to be money pits when the warranty runs out ,   I had a 1996 Lexus Ls400 for nearly 7 years and it was 9 years old when I got it with full history and it had 165k miles when I got it and no repairs had been done other than normal servicing like oil changes and filters including sparkplugs, brake pads cambelt  tyres , I serviced it myself during the time I had it and sold it with 245k miles and apart from new battery , oil changes ,filters , sparkplugs , pads and new tryes, recon alternator it even still had the original water pump .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave toolsplus my whatsapp number today after he sent me a private message on here today asking me for it .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, anything lasts you a long time with your care. We all give as much preventative maintenance to our cruisers as poss, one of the joys and interest of owning one.
Good to know toolsplus knows where we are, he couldve just asked Karl or myself. No matter he got it.
timbo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, sorry, its a D4D engine with 184k, absolutely no problem turning over, it seems as if the longer I leave it standing the longer it takes to start, always runs perfectly when it fires up. Its as if the pump is loosing prime.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4 of us who have replied all have D4D 120s , You can check if its not primed enough for it to start quick by pushing down on the prime button on top of the filter a few times before you start the engine and see if it starts quicker , when the batteries get weaker with age it is not noticeable as they still crank over the engine , and its only when you change them you see the difference of quicker start up of the engine,  after its been stood a while  you can try pumping the priming button a few times before you start the engine and see if it makes much difference ,   , and some cheap aftermarket batteries are only good for 5 years so check how old your batteries are if they are old its a good time to change them anyway,
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi timbo,
A good simple exercise to start, as per Tony. Keep going and the rest of us and any others can jump in as required.
wooly0000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Timbo, Tony's advice is great you can sometimes see when the batteries are beginning to fail, the sides start to bulge a little, this isn't a brilliant way to test a battery but sometimes it can be an indicator, when i changed mine i could feel some slight distortion.

good luck
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, sometimes happens. Dont always take it as read with the magic eyes if your batteries have them, either. My 120 were showing green and wouldn't start even after a charge, which made no difference. The clincher was a jump start. As that did it immediately that affirmed it was batteries, one or more cells down so not the full cranking amps. so replaced and all good. Of course a proper drop test would have confirmed too.
Always replace in pairs, an iffy one will drag a new one down PDQ.
wooly0000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Tractionman the green eye if defo not fool proof, i think i bought the replacement batteries from MrT probably not my best decision  Embarassed
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shouldn't worry too much about that being not a good decision woolly. Although I have never bought batteries from Mr.T,
some say they have had good deals, maybe a special offer or something. As with all parts, the best or genuine don't always come from main dealers at the best price. Having said that, some parts required DO need to be genuine, whatever the cost from anywhere.
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooly, i didn't buy them but my 120 has Mr T's parts dept batteries fitted, previous owner had them fitted at the dealer about 6 months before part exing the motor, never given a hint of trouble and even when the alternator failed (i didn't realise because ignition light had gone off completely) despite getting progressively slower turning over it never once failed to start.
I'd be perfectly happy buying them again if the current (hoho) set failed.
wooly0000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents, at what mileage did your alternator fail Juddian?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: