Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Auto Transmission L2 gear selection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VR6badger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:40    Post subject: Auto Transmission L2 gear selection? Reply with quote

Good morning  Very Happy
When using my LC 120 for the first-time off road at the weekend I selected Low range on the transfer box but left the transmission in D

The Greenlane was steep in places, mainly gravel but with gently bed rock ledges every now and again. Steep climb into a steep descent.
After completing the section, I realised that I could of a made a different selection on the transmission to lock the gears in a lower gear set. This would have been particularly useful on the steep descent.

I understand that 4 means It will not change up into 5th gear and selecting 3 means it will not change up into 4th gear.

My question is what does L mean on the L2 selection?

Does it stand for Low 2 so 1st and 2nd gears only?

Does it stand for Locked 2 so only 2nd gear?

Apologies if this question has been asked before but I could not find a definitive answer on the internet or on here.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

L (Low) is 1st gear only
VR6badger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl2000 wrote:
L (Low) is 1st gear only

Thanks Karl2000, I have just realised that there is two positions L or 2 and not L2  Embarassed

The Land cruiser is not quite ready to be my daily driver so I only go look / drive it at weekends until the maintenance is completed on it.
Juddian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the gear layouts are a bit confusing, not everyone realises at first as you did that 4 and D are two separate gear selections, this is especially the case if the spring ball that holds the gearlever in the selected position has dropped out or the plastic holder keeping the spring and rod (with rounded end, not actually a ball) has broken as they can, if the lever is floppy it won't hold in one of those gears but flops over.

If there's any reistance or excessive notchiness (is that a word?) to the gearlever selection its worth buying the conversion kit from the chap in Australia (assuming he still makes them), several owners including i have done this, its the work of 20 minutes or so, its a longer rod and shorter spring, which if you grease it well when fitting you'll find makes the gear selector really pleasant to use, the original rod it too short and as the plastic or nylon holder for this rod wears the rod can drop out and the holder can break, so if its stiff have a poke nose.

Enjoy, they're cracking vehicles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: