4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New Owner - Transfer box crunching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VR6badger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 13:16    Post subject: New Owner - Transfer box crunching Reply with quote

Hello, I have recently bought a 57 plate / 2008 Land Cruiser KDJ120 5 speed Auto Invinsible. Build date November 2007.

When viewing the car I noticed the transfer box would crunch when changing from High H through Neutral N to Low L. Automatic transmission was in Neutral with foot on the brake. I also Tried in Park with foot on the brake.

My question is what is the correct procedure for selecting the high and low range gears on the transfer box? I have done some research on here and there internet and it seems some people have a similar issue but with no real explanation as to why.

To prevent the crunching I switch the engine off to make the selection.

I am hoping that this problem is due to a neglected gear oil change as there is no evidence in the service history of this being done.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Mike.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 13:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats normal because theres no syncromesh on the transfer box...

Unless you're changing from Hi to Low every 2 minutes, I wouldn't worry about it.  If it really bothers you, you can shift when the engine is off as you have discovered!
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem with all 4x4s is lack of use, where moving parts tend to seize or stick. Always worth from time to time to cycle the transfer box even if not driven. Your original procedure is correct, but have you been pulling the selector straight through without pausing midway. ?
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen Karl's post, and agree, no synchro, a good point, which doesnt help selection.
By pausing midway, although my selector is firm, no crunch.
Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you make the changeover slowly it will crunch, move the lever over swiftly in neutral no noise.

Enjoy catching up on the servicing, don't be too daunted about changing the autobox fluid itself, not half as bad as some make out.
VR6badger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Juddian, Tractionman & Karl2000 for your replies.

I have tried both slowly with a pause in neutral and shifting quickly to no avail.

The smoothest change I have made with the transfer box is after taking it for a quick drive and therefore concluded that warming the gear oil up may have helped with the gear selection.

I also rotated / cross the tyres over as the fronts were worn 1.5 - 2mm more than the rears and didn't want the drivetrain to suffer wind up. My theory was the gears in the transfer box were binding.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always put the auto box in neutral and switch the engine off before I switch from H to L , since after first trying to switch mine too made a crunching sound like crashing gears , even after that I changed the transfer box oil with full Syn 75w-90 gl5 and through in some wynns HPLS to keep the seals supple as they can harden up and cause the transfer box to leak oil at either end , if the seals leak at the Auto box end of the transfer case its a pretty big job to change the seal out as the whole transfer box needs to be removed . I have never tried changing from H to L since the oil change with the engine running to see if it changes smoothly because I would hate to hear that crunching noise again as it means gears and/or chain crashing against each other causing metal loss or wear .
sheepish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine makes a slight crunch whenever I change. I bought the car with 70K miles on it. It now has 210K miles. I use H/L a few times a week. The crunch is the same now as it was when I got it. I wouldn't be too concerned.
VR6badger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s reassuring to hear that others have the crunching when selecting H or L and it isn’t an isolated concern.
I will continue to make the selection with the engine off even after the oil change and will follow Tonycy11’s advice with the oil additive.

The first LC120 I test drove did change smoothly with no crunching hence the question but it could of been a one off and the next time I tried it it may of crunched.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: