Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fitting Apple CarPlay etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:40    Post subject: Fitting Apple CarPlay etc Reply with quote

I am just waiting for my 2008 Landcruiser LC4 to be delivered. On the test drive I realised that the maps on the SatNav were seriously out of date and in common with the Sat Nav in my ML300 adding a destination leaves quite a bit to be desired. The car also has no form of telephone system. As I had fitted a seriously spanky Kenwood Apple CarPay in the Merc, it would make sense to extract it from the unreliable ML and fit it in what I hope is my forever car! I will no doubt have to buy yet another bundle of extras to get it to fit the Toyota.

My questions are -

Has anyone successfully fitted a similar unit in a LC of this vintage?

I fancy a reversing camera as the head unit supports it - I know some LCs have them, but mine doesn't - do they come with the internal; wiring to retrofit?

Can the steering wheel have the buttons some models come with retro fitted and again is the wiring there?

I believe some models come with phone kits as standard; is the wiring in place to fit these easily ie aerial and microphone?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder what kind of satnav is in your LC4?

I think you can fit a double din headunit into an LC4 fairly easily, but you will probably need an ISO harness to convert from the Toyota wiring to whats on your headunit.

Don't think it will be like your Mercedes though where you probably put some radio keys in and slide the thing out - you have to take the centre console out and physically unscrew the existing unit!  It's a pain if you're used to doing easier radios, but I think a lot of Jap cars are like that apparently...

I dont know about your particular headunit, but I put a Sony unit in mine.  I put a rear camera on too - I actually used a wireless unit to avoid running a signal cable from the back right to the headunit.  Basically, the camera needs a 12V feed (from the reverse light) and thats it.  It has a little transmitter that you fit into the back door.  Then at the front, there is a little box you plug into the headunit which is the receiver for it.  Its alright, in practice though its not that big a deal to run a wire through if you need one.

These LC's are fairly straightforward from an electrical point of view - probably a lot less complex than your ML!
andy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need something like this Apple
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a pretty hot Kenwood DMX8019DABS head unit I have just extracted from the ML.

I have just bought the DAB aerial and a microphone form Halfords and now have the ball ache of fitting them. The head unit itself should be straight forward with the patch lead.

I also want to fit a reversing camera but am dreading the idea of running the cable from the back of the vehicle top the dash.
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralpharama wrote:
I'
I also want to fit a reversing camera but am dreading the idea of running the cable from the back of the vehicle top the dash.

Don't dread it too much - by the time you've got the new headunit in, you will have had the center bit of the dashboard out, and theres not much else left.  Get the wire plugged into your head unit - feed it under the dash (the route will be obvious once you have the radio out) towards the drivers side.  Then I would go up the A pillar, and run it along the top right to the back, then behind the trim at the hinge side of the back door.

Then you will have to remove the back door trim to fit your camera, and then feed the cable through along where all the other wires go, from the car to the back door.  Should be easy enough to do - I ran a similar wire for a rear dashcam, and still havent got around to fitting it Smile

You will probably need to tap off off the reversing light at the back to power your camera, depending on if you want it to activate on reverse, or power it from somewhere else if you want it active all the time.
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice.

I have now fitted the head unit, though I haven't managed to find a bevel that fits.

I have fitted the reversing camera in the back door and have got the cable into the rear quarter. Will crack on over the weekend to finish it Smile
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralpharama wrote:

I have now fitted the head unit, though I haven't managed to find a bevel that fits.

Great you have made good progress there!

Its difficult without photographs, but cant you use the existing bevel?  I had a few mm gap around my new headunit, so I made a black piece to fit around the radio, so it looks fine now.  Its actually cut out from the cover of an exercise book bought from Tescos Smile  Looks spot on though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: