Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Weird Air con issue 2006 LC5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D1tmb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:45    Post subject: Weird Air con issue 2006 LC5 Reply with quote

Hi, new to the forum.
I have a 120 lc5 with dual zone climate control.
In brief, without air on on the heater works well, all sides.
As soon as I engage the air con all heat disappears and it all goes icy cold.
With air con on adjusting the temp has no effect.
So far I have checked all blend doors, using an inspection camera and they look fine.
I have checked the heater core, free flowing, no crud. I even changed the pumps just in case.
To get the heat back I need to turn the air con off, turn the temp down to minimum and then back up again.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
I took it into Toyota where I thought they would diagnose the issue and just got a bill which said “we feel from looking at it that it’s the heater box or the matrix and it will be £3,260 to repair” (GULP)
Want to take the cruiser to Sierra Nevada in December and would like the dried heated air available in it.
Thanks in advance to any suggestions.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have the opposite a/c problem than most folk who have a/c problems , only thing I can think of is the obvious , is when you turn up the temp of the a/c do you make sure you have switched off the rear a/c if it is still switched on cold , or  turned the dial to the warm setting ,
D1tmb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I say it’s weird, the rear air con is definitively turned off and “up”
In the absence of any meaningful schematic it’s impossible for me to fathom it. On a humorous note if I had a pound for every “it’s the blend door actuator” I could afford the repair😂
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know too much about a/c, but a couple of things come to mind, sensor or blocked drain.
D1tmb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.
The drain is clear so I guess the next thing to do is get and fit a new thermistor, the forums sort of suggest that when these fail they cause a lack of cooling but it may be that it is sending a reading saying the cabin is too hot and hence the cold air. That’s me thinking in reverse. I will contact Toyota tomorrow and order one, they are only circa £20 online but need to ensure it’s the right one.
Will let the forum know if I have any luck.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

👌
D1tmb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 16:03    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

So I changed the cabin airflow sensor Thermistor , cleaned out the ducts, change the ambient temp sensor at the front, changed the cabin filter and checked the recirculating doors, but no difference. Still get no heat whatsoever when the air con is engaged, at a loss now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: