Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4.2 vx amazon 2001 rear suspension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GP55

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 20:45    Post subject: 4.2 vx amazon 2001 rear suspension Reply with quote

Good evening all, just got home after a very uncomfortable ride home ! Ride height dropped to low on outward journey and ride height was flashing "off " on the dash. Attempted to adjust ride height to normal but no joy. Nursed it home and Hydraulic oil reservoir is empty . Any suggestions on any probable or likely cause ? Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 20:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

knicko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dreaded Automatic Height Control (AHC) suspension failure I'm afraid. Most likely corrosion in the pipework that runs underneath the vehicle, which has very poor rust protection. A tiny rust hole will soon empty the suspension fluid under operating pressure.
If you search this site for AHC topics, you will find lots of discussion about how to remedy your problem. In essence you can repair/replace the failed AHC suspension parts (which can be expensive and awkward to reach), or there are aftermarket conversion kits (eg Pedders) to delete the AHC set-up altogether and replace with conventional set-up.
All depends what you prefer and how you use the vehicle (eg towing, varying load weights or just a passenger vehicle).
When mine gives up, I will be going down the Pedders route but that is just my personal choice.
Good luck!

2003 Land Cruiser Amazon VX 100 series. 5 speed auto. 4.2 TD. 122000 miles.
GP55

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:30    Post subject: AHC failure Reply with quote

Good morning Nick,
                              and thanks for your reply. Yes you hit the nail on the head, corroded pipework and yes having spoken to various people it seems to replace part of a system which is 20 years old doesn't make a huge amount of sense , so as you suggested , replacement with a conventional suspension kit/set up seems to be the way to go !
Thanks again and I hope you have a few more years before you are in the same boat !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: