4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Steering wheel Controls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:38    Post subject: Steering wheel Controls Reply with quote

My 2008 120 has a big standard steering wheel. I have replaced the stock head unit with a nice Kenwood Apple play unit so I have decent satnav (Google maps), phone and can listen to podcasts on longer journeys. I also fitted a reversing camera, which was a pain but is now great.

The only issue I have is that to answer the phone or flick the volume up and down means looking away from the road which is bad. Even my van has buttons on the steering wheel!

Is there a way of retrofitting buttons to the stock wheel or perhaps getting one from a ‘posher’ model? I’m guessing there aren’t a huge number of land cruisers in scrap yards. Are there wheels form less desirable Toyotas in breakers that would fit?

Any thoughts?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help with this unfortunately and I'd be interested in the answer - I think TonyC's Invincible model has got steering controls, so he will probably jump in to help as usual!

People have been changing radio volume for years though, I do wonder how much of an issue it really is!
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no definitive answer other than as Karl's, with Tony's input as that may make more sense.
Retrofitting on your model's stock steering wheel I would think is impossible to consider, not only for parts/work involved, but the fact there is an air bag where the internals would be on your model. This would be taken into account models with it already fitted.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have buttons on the steering wheel as such  ,  they are on the steering boss they are for the bluetooth for the phone and the audio system , you could try looking online for one from salvage yards ,   the system comes with the steering wheel that is part black leather and part black walnut wood . so if you type in leather wood steering wheel for invincible 2007 on wards it might be easier to find ,
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

as yours is a 2008 it should have the wiring for it in the boss area , so should be a direct fit .
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your help. Do you know of any LC breakers that are reasonably honest?  😃
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont as I have been living in Cyprus for 4 yesrd now , but I am sure someone on here will know , in the meantime you could try google for the part and it will direct you ,  I will have a look and see what I can find , if I find anything I will put it on here for you to see
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph, I have used Bradford 4x4 breakers many times with good gear and no issues. They have an e bay outlet and always seem to be breaking/have loads of all sorts of lc parts.
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcruiser specific steering wheels with buttons seem very expensive, but HiLux ones seem far more reasonable; is there much difference?
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I can think of is do the Hilux steering wheel  controls come with the centre boss with the air bag ,because if not I think your boss with air bag might struggle to fit with the controls in the way as I can not see how it will fit  . I think you will need a centre boss with airbag that was designed to be fitted with the controls . But I could be wrong.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all that Tony.
Splines should be the same, but Ralph, you need to check if hilux s/wheel be compatible with the lc control stalks, lights wipers etc.and the shroud that covers all these. Also how will you connect ? Unless the same toyota loom is used across the board, there wont be any plug and play connectors for it. From what I've seen there are 2 types of s/wheel with controls for hilux, used complete with the air bag/housing from around £100 up. Me, I would use the radio controls and spend the money on something else lc. 😀
Good luck with it anyway, if it works out ok you may start a trend.👍
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: