NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Essential Spares for West Africa Overland- 98 Col 3.4L V6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coloradojimmy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:07    Post subject: Essential Spares for West Africa Overland- 98 Col 3.4L V6 Reply with quote

Hello all!

Brand new to this forum and have just purchased a 1998 Colorado 3.4L V6 Petrol, 134k miles but in good condition and largely rust free. Timing belt and water pump have just been done. Plan is to drive from the UK to Zimbabwe, where I’m from, via West Africa starting in March next year.

May not have been the best vehicle/engine choice but it is what it is. Essentially, I’d like to ask what spares I should look to get while still in the UK to take with, that I won’t be able to get on the road in various African countries. Worried that I’ve ended up with a rare engine type where spares will be a nightmare!

Thanks in advance for your expertise!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

diggerdave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on the 3.4 but I suspect you can count on the engine not to fail you. Maybe peripherals like alternator belts and coolant hoses

I'd be thinking more like a complete CV axle and bottom ball joint? A wheel bearing? A spare rear shock absorber?

A lot's going to depend on how long the trip is though, what kind of back up you will have, and how far from the nearest garages you will be travelling.

There are people out there who overland their Colorados, so hopefully you can find some informed advice

Good luck on the trip (sounds amazing).
modvrs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all of the above. The 5VZ-FE engine is capable of huge mileages and is fairly simple compared with modern engines. Lower front balljoints are "sided" so I'd take two, or replace before going due to the damage caused by a failure on the road (the wheel collapses). In addition to belts and hoses I'd add an air filter and couple of fuel filters as you may encounter some contaminated fuel on the trip. Otherwise a thorough service would be all I'd do before confidently setting off around the world in mine with 197,000 miles on the clock.

Have a good trip.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Lower front balljoints are "sided" '

A very good point!

Also +1 on replacing them as a precaution. I had one fail on me once and it was not a nice experience....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: