4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

adjustable air shocks on LC5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigfoot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will give LR a go Juddian. certainly more of them around. Only reason that roughtrax would convey for there disapproval ( and I suppose there only needs to be one, ) was that the whole of the suspension system was designed to work in unison and any one part of it compromised, throws the whole thing out of kilter. Tony may have something to say about that because surely if the system as a whole worked in unison there would need to be a dash warning light if any part of that system failed like for instance unplugging one of the dampers. Tony has already established that when the dampers are unplugged no warning lights appear on the dash. Bit irresponsible then for  Toyota to claim that its so vital not to compromise the system that they haven't seen fit to install a warning light for the dampers. The dash warning that does appear must just be for the air bags presumably. If not why do you have to remove fuses when swapping over to a coil system kit if there are no lights at all. Or is there some detail I'm not grasping.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 20:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigfoot don't worry, Tony always gets back, probably busy with his xmas shopping 🤔 and there is a short time delay between countries
He's a legend with 120s, so I'm sure he will have the answers for you.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TEMS  shocks are just a incar adjustable shockabsober , toyota claim they are semi active shocks , a cheap and basic version of the active suspension that is found in the top  of the range executive big Lexus LS, Audi A8 , jag xj , and bmw 7s   , the tems shocks are electricly adjusted in side the car instead of the good old Spax shocks that TM mentioned  ,   nowadays manual adjusted shocks are adjusted round the outside of the tube body by a large ring nut and another ring nut to lock the position that the owner wants , Dobinsons do them for 4x4s , kyb who  make the adjustable shocks  for toyota also make the standard shocks for the lc3,lc4  , and the last I herd were one of the biggest shock maker in the world , and supply car makers all over the world as well as the after market , the last I herd was they produce around a million shocks a week  ,  but back to the subject ,the tems shocks are a high quality shock , so to keep that standard to replace them a good up rated shock is called for like Pedders that recommend are as good as if not better than the tems shocks but without the incar ajustment , the Pedders shocks are a beefy shock and have a 16mm deep piston   with  anti drain back valve so there is much less fade when the shocks  are over worked on long distance bumpy roads , but for  heavy and continual off road use pedders recommends their , foam cell shocks ,   I keep my tems shocks on the sport mode (stiff setting ) because it is my opinion that by being in stiff mode less or smaller holes for the oil to get through the shocks do less movement so less wear on the shocks aswell as less wear on the airbags also in my oppinion but that is just my take on the matter , sorry for going on so much ,
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good explanations/opinions Tony, always helpful and never going on. If we ask for the info you give it all. 👍👍
Bigfoot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony. I'm getting there and have decided on the Pedders. But just to recap and to make sure cross purposes haven't come into play, the installation I intend is as follows.

Remove both existing Tems rear shocks.

Install the Pedders standard shocks as a replacement in exactly the same position to run in conjunction with the existing air bag set up.

No coil springs will be used or needed as this is NOT a coil conversion.

Does the above Tony conform to what you originally understood  to be my intentions, and apologies for the need of clarification, but between them, the vehicle manufacturers and R.trx have managed to unsettle what probably is a viable straight forward process.

Appreciate this thread has dragged on a bit and hope I'm not exasperating the participants.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigfoot, any and all info gained is a result, its all relavent. 👍
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Bigfoot I understand what you are going to do , although I have a full Pedders replacement kit , if the shocks go on my 120 and the air bags are still good I will do the same as you are doing , and save the pedders coil springs to fit only when the airbags or compressor fail , as I said the Tems and airsprings are great , but not worth the cost to replace , because total replacement including compressor total  over 5 grand  in parts alone ,
Bigfoot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony, and your right Trm. All input is useful as it helps others to delay the inevitable conversion if they to prefer to hang on to the air system as long as possible. I've Had my vehicle for a couple of years now and love it. Intend to keep it as long as possible alongside my Lexus IS200, until the electric police deem otherwise that is.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍 yep, all input is valueable mate, thats why we like members with problems/solutions to give feedback on the end result, anď we all benefit. Electric police, haha, wash your mouth out 😉😆
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: