All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Prado discs and pads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlPrado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:13    Post subject: Prado discs and pads Reply with quote

1999 Prado 3ltr auto front discs and pad change , Anything to be aware of ? I don't want to get the car up and disassembled then find a problem

On the last 4 previous MOT history reports they noted worn front discs and pads , As the previous owner did very low miles per year

on average under 4K per year they did not change them , Time for replacement  Very Happy

As always thank you  Confused
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

warwick lawley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the discs is very straight forward. I changed my discs with non original manufactured but from a reputable supplier near Bristol. Within 5000 miles of normal use and not once under heavy braking, the disc warped to such an extent than a most severe vibration resulted. All I can surmise is that the disc castings had not sufficiently stabilised before machining. Obviously the vendor said that this has not happened before so were not interested. The choice was to get a new set or to get the warped ones skimmed. I opted not to get a replacement pair of discs as to the dubious quality so for the same price, I had the warped discs skimmed as by now they would have stabilised. After skimming, the brakes are now smooth as silk. Should your original discs permit skimming, I would recommend doing that. I remember in the old days disc castings were left out in the open for months before going to the machine shop. My original discs on my 1974 Triumph Stag are still in good condition. Modern discs are of a much softer material and wear out rapidly but they should not warp.
AlPrado

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discs and pads I have ( yet to be fitted ) are Brembo ,Reputedly good quality
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: