4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Suspension refresh for 2006 Invincible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muckle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:19    Post subject: Suspension refresh for 2006 Invincible? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

My old 2006 Invincible is still going strong but these days it is not exactly the last word in luxury travel.

Over the years I have replaced various bushes and I think one spring but the ride is now increasingly crashy and feels - at least to me - to be under damped and too floaty. OK it was always floaty frankly which is just about the only area where it does not hands down thrash my old Disco 2.

I have been pondering what to do on the car front - we have three which is one too many - and I had been thinking about selling the LC and my RS Megane Cup S and getting something life an Audi S4 / S6 instead.

However it occurs to me that for a fraction of the money it would cost to change cars I could possibly breathe a now lease of life in to the Land Cruiser.

The car is on its original shocks and I presume that by now they are probably pretty shot (no oil leaks visible on last thorough inspection though).

The car has just over 120k miles on the clock. It does get used for light off roading most days - dog walks up in the hills and we live down a 1/2 mile dirt track so I guess it has not had a pampered life. I also live in Scotland so it is usually covered wet mud and salt in the winter (hence the rather expensive welding job about 6 months ago!)

Any suggestions if replacing the shocks / springs would be worth doing, and if so what to go for?

Ideally I'd like the car to be a bit firmer (so that it goes round corners at less than a 45 degree angle) and is also much more capable of soaking up bumps.

Would std shocks / springs we worth going for or are there far better options out there? Happy to spend say £1000 if that will make a big difference. Other than some surface rust - which I would put right as well - and the odd battle scar the car seems fine. Engine and gearbox are behaving well although the brakes need an overhaul (again).

Advice welcome.

Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughtrax do a complete replacement kit of up rated shocks and springs for under 800 quid with the front already assembled complete with up rated top mounts ,springs and shocks ready to go straight in , the rear come with up rated shocks and springs , you will not need the air spring converter ring pads and bump stops as your LC is does not have air bags , so you could ask for a discount for them to amit the parts you do not need ,
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I forgot to mention the brand of the kit is Pedders trackryder shocks with uprated springs and uprated top mounts .
Muckle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony,

Looks like a decent option.

So basically whilst this kit is intended for converting air suspension to std suspension it will also work as a replacement kit for std suspension - just with bits left over that I won't need?
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is right , if I were you I would ask for the removal of the  parts you do not need for a discount in price ,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: