4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Handbrake linkage seized

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 16:33    Post subject: Handbrake linkage seized Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a 97 Colorado Landcruiser 3.0 3door

I am being told that the Handbrake linkage is seized and it will cost a lot of money (hundreds) to fix.
I do not know much about fixing cars my self and do not expect this is something I can do my self.

I asked why so much they tell me it’s a lot of parts plus labour.

Can some explain what the handbrake linkage if not just the cable and what it would involve fixing this that makes this repair so much.

Many thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 16:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

drew m

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
It'll probably be the linkages that are attached to the cable that runs along the rear axle,lt can all usually be freed of with plusgas and someone operating the handbreak lever in the car I had to do mine a number of years ago and now keep it regularly lubed it is a known problem with them.
Drew
markH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

drew m wrote:
Hi,
It'll probably be the linkages that are attached to the cable that runs along the rear axle,lt can all usually be freed of with plusgas and someone operating the handbreak lever in the car I had to do mine a number of years ago and now keep it regularly lubed it is a known problem with them.
Drew

Thanks @drew,

I asked them if this was the case, they said  the linkage all the way from the handbrake to the axle was seized and they would do that if they could but they cannot.  

Not sure I see how the handbrake would work if that was the case.
I worry about  being able to get parts for the car. I already have run into that with the alarm/horn so may just get them to do it and then do as you says do keep it lubed.

Think I need to start learning though.
Would help if I could find my manual that gave me a break down of where and what everything is.
drew m

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
If the handbrake is working even partially then I would be trying to lube it to free it up,I like to do most things myself if I can as I'm suspicious of some garages creating work for themselves, they are also guilty of buying new parts rather than sorting existing ones,in your place I would take it to another garage for a second opinion.
Drew
drew m

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milner off road supplies handbrake parts for your toyota at reasonable prices.
Drew
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable on the rear of the axle is pulled tight by the main handbrake cable... there are 3 bits to wiggle and un-sieze.....  There is a little pivot slightly on the passenger side on the rear of the axle should be a little bush, take the 12mm bolt out (from memory) clean and lube it all up.

Then the two dog leg odd shaped levers that are pulled by the cable, they pivot on a small block mounted on the back plate either side and they open up the brake shoes inside the drum brakes....  You should see a rubber boot where they enter the backing plate (and you will see two springs on each that pull the lever back towards the backing plate to release the brakes when you let the handbrake off.... chock the vehicle so its safe to get under with the handbrake off then tease the rubber boot off and spray a bit of lube on the pivot while you work the lever and they almost all work perfect after... it can be stripped completely but not always needed.  The pivot in the middle where the main cable joins the cross cable is often stiff and causing one to move before the other....  

Also having the shoes adjusted properly makes ALL the difference, when released those to cranked levers should move back and touch the back plate - if they aren't it means all the slack has been taken up in the cab (where its easy to adjust) and not where the adjustment should have been made inside the brake drums (via the little access hole and the adjuster).
AlPrado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 27 years of use things do need replacing , especially items that get constantly wet / dry and every winter with road salting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: