4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Advice required.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
locodriver65

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 16:35    Post subject: Advice required. Reply with quote

Hi guys.

While having a look around the chassis axles etc under the old girl this morning I noticed a possible problem.

I think the turrets on rear axle where the panard rods connect may be past their sell buy date. I will be able to get a better look at the weekend.

If they are past it can they be repaired or is a new axle casing required.  My colorado has covered almost 200k miles and is otherwise in very good condition.

Regards

Paul
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 16:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

diggerdave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milner used to supply the axle casings (don't know if currently available, and you have to get the correct variant - ABS/non-ABS and difflock/LSD)

Mine has been welded up by my usual garage. Not the best job in my case. It will partly depend how it's failed I guess.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dave said, Milners for axle cases, if needed, but they're currently out of stock.
Most get away with welding from a decent welder/fabricator, who can assess, makeup  and reconstruct areas as the job demands.
Again, as per Dave, it depends on how bad, but your intent to get under and clean off everything in and around the area/s, will give you a good idea, (and your welder) what is required. Check out the spring perches thoroughly too, while youre there.
Depending on the work involved, some remove the rear axle for ease of access and work (which is documented on here somewhere)
but that's not always considered necessary. Hope you don't find too much work. 😊
locodriver65

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 20:08    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi GUYs

Thanks for your reply.
My usual local garage who is very good will have a look on Friday.
I would have thought that as this seems to be a common problem that someone may have fabricated a kit to make the job a bit easier. (pre made turrets to weld on)

OK on Milners. the axle casing has to be pre-ordered. could take some weeks to arrive.

Regards

Paul
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok mate, hopefully Milners is plan B. Good luck 😊
locodriver65

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 17:40    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi Guys
My local garage which are very good says the axle casing is on its last legs and will need to be replaced soon.

I have ordered one from Milners but this may take a while.

The garage says the rest of the chassis  and sills etc are in first class condition so its worth spending a few quid to keep it on the road. Not bad for a 25 year Toyota.

Regards

Paul
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one saved ! Well done mate, spending the money and keeping it going,  looking at it in another positive way any other bits that are welded on parts of the axle will be new too !  It will also give you a chance to clean off and treat the underside of the lc that are not normally accessible. Good luck with it. 🤗
locodriver65

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 15:00    Post subject: New axle case. Reply with quote

Hi guys
I have had contact with Milners today regarding my order for a new rear axle casing.
The say they are difficult to obtain and it could be months before they have any stock.

Any body got any ideas on how to find one.

Regards

Paul
locodriver65

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 15:33    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I phoned Toyota Main dealer Spares Department just for any info.

The axle is available part number is:- 4211-60580     Price is £2396.20p including vat...Delivery would be about 18 Days.

We shall see ...as they say its only money.

Paul
diggerdave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes  Exclamation
locodriver65

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 16:46    Post subject: Axle replacement Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Well after quite a bit off thinking and looking on the net for a possible second hand axle. I think I will have to bite the bullet and buy new from Toyota (but not today ,just had a tooth out)

All the ones on the net are the same as mind or worse. I will give it a few days before I part with the cash..

What do you think ??? is my 25 year old truck which otherwise is in excellent condition worth the expense, Total damage may be close to £3k

Paul
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
If the truck is as good as you say apart from the axle, it may worth the cost to keep it going, yer it has a good mileage on it, but if it has been looked after, no rot anywhere else, regular servicing etc, these trucks go on and on. To put it into more perspective, have a look at what you could replace the whole truck for/what you could get for yours, as is.
There are lots about, some disclosed rustbuckets and clunkers, some not disclosed, - until you view. Anything of that age, or newer will have problems.
3 or even 5k doesn't get you much, and you don't want to buy someone else's trouble.
Even the later models can have many more problems than you have got.
It sounds as if yours may have been a boat launcher, with just the axle rotten, so check out thoroughly the rear end.
You need to factor the total cost, i.e. axle cost, removal and replacement, bushes, drop links, brakes, suspension, etc, as upon replacing axle, you may well have to buy these ancilliaries if they are original.  Once started, you cant stop, unless you scrap it at a great loss, or pump more money in. Only you can determine the actual scale of it.
If it's any consolation, I spent 3k on my 120 2 years after buying it, due to rot that wasnt apparent until I nudged a side step. Closer examination showed inner and outer sills both sides, that went into bottoms front and rear wheel arches and the bottoms of the central door pillars. Everything was cut out and replaced.
Most of this wasn't found until work started.
Although mine has a higher residual value than yours, I still thought long and hard, and my conclusion was, what could I get for the same money as  the repairs, plus scrap value. Nowt of any worth, most had problems or were worse.
Stand by for other opinions mate, difficult when we can't see it.
Good luck mate.
locodriver65

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 20:05    Post subject: reply to question Reply with quote

Hi Traction Man
Thanks for the info.
The rear axle only really needs the trailing arm turrets repairing. These can be seen welded on those for sale on e bay.
Since I have owned this LC it has never been in deep water. Back brakes were replaced not long ago. Also the handbrake cable replaced.
Rear chassis is good in fact all the chassis and sills are in great condition. They have had Dinitol put inside several times over the years.

If I could get a good welder to do a proper job.(Not just slap a few bits on)   That would last a few more years. I have owned this LC for over 12 years.

Paul
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I would search for a good fabricator/welder, in that case, not always easy, they are like gold dust.
You need a one man band/small family business, that have pride in their work and don't  f* *k  about, maybe even a mobile., someone that comes recommended - ask around, look in small ads, stuff like that. It shouldnt be difficult for a good fabricator/welder as there is a pattern of sorts to work from. This, as you will know, makes it a much more viable proposition, and more incentive to keep the truck running. All easy for me to say mate, not so easy to find. If you give your location, there may be someone on here who can recommend.
locodriver65

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 21:18    Post subject: reply to question Reply with quote

Hi

Location is west midlands

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: