Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New 3.0 D4D 1KD Engine break in and care

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrewc049

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:32    Post subject: New 3.0 D4D 1KD Engine break in and care Reply with quote

Morning gents,

Hope ye are well. Unfortunately my 2008 invincible decided to break my heart this Christmas. Long story short, i have had to get new engine, injectors and decided while i was going that far to get a new turbo etc.

I've tried to look online for any advice or information with regards breaking in a new engine for this model and unfortunately can't find much. A couple of brief things only such as "no towing for the first 1,000 miles". Can any of you advise? Since its invincible and has the power box, i assume it might need that tiny bit extra care since the new engine would be putting out more power than the standard. I'm good anyway with regards servicing the jeep on when it needs, leaving it warm up and cool down etc.

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have already stated in driving it , drive it normal is  best way to break it in , as for a tuning box that is not standard for a 2008 invincible , the 2008 version is based on the LC5 with even more extras , so if your 120 has air suspension at the rear it is not the LC4 invincible with the tuning box , toyota stopped fitting tuning box/power chips because it was found to contribute to cracked pistons due to heavy extra fueling creating a very hot internal temp and extra pressure on the pistons , so if your 120 has a  chip/tuning box on a air suspension 120 it was added by the owner ,
Andrewc049

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

TONYCY11 wrote:
As you have already stated in driving it , drive it normal is  best way to break it in , as for a tuning box that is not standard for a 2008 invincible , the 2008 version is based on the LC5 with even more extras , so if your 120 has air suspension at the rear it is not the LC4 invincible with the tuning box , toyota stopped fitting tuning box/power chips because it was found to contribute to cracked pistons due to heavy extra fueling creating a very hot internal temp and extra pressure on the pistons , so if your 120 has a  chip/tuning box on a air suspension 120 it was added by the owner ,

Hmmm it is quiet possible the power box was fitted after so. It is 2008 LC5 with the air suspension and all the extras, but is super lively to drive compared to the other landcruisers i have drove. I researched this and seen that it may be down to the toyota power boxes that came in some of the invincibles (older ones). Piston trouble is why i had to get a new engine, either a cracked piston or piston ring went on me notably after it had terrible compression on 1 cylinder. It had just over 300,000 miles.  Thanks for your input
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were not power boxes made or issude by toyota factory in its self ,  but by toyota GB who sold an LC4 model with and aftermarket power chip box made in Germany and had printed the toyota logo on the chip box , but after the cracked piston issues on these LC120s and hilux that also the chip box on some models were all dropped and the new version  of the invincibles were based on extra equipment only .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound info again Tony. 👍
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think after getting a new engine (how much did it cost, if you dont mind me asking), I'd be tempted to ditch the tuning box to make sure it doesn't happen again!
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Karl , there are better ways the get your engine more responsive and more pep in the 1kd  120 engine that actually help the engine last a longer life span and with better economy than risking destroying your engine with tuning chip boxes that all they do is  over fuel the engine causing stress on the pistons that can end up cracking them or blowing a hole in them .
Juddian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the lads, i'd have that tuning box out.
Its probably a Steinbauer unit and would sell rapidly.

You already allow the engine/turbo to warm and cool sounds to me like you already know how to treat that new engine for the first few months, i would go old school and give it a first oil  change at about 1000 miles, don't know if you have to follow some service regime to keep the engine warranty intact but might be something to read the small print on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: