Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Landcruiser VX 4.2L 24V HDJ80R 1996 Intermittent Won't start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Wright

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 17:44    Post subject: Landcruiser VX 4.2L 24V HDJ80R 1996 Intermittent Won't start Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I have owned this UK main dealer car since new and have covered 204,000 miles. Just recently the car won't start occasionally. It turns over perfectly but sounds like its immobilised. After waiting an hour or so it starts. On one occasion I waited overnight and it refused to start but then an our later it did, in other words its not temperature related. I am living in Spain now and use an excellent independent mechanic for servicing but he is puzzled with this. We have tried to read codes using the jump wire in the diagnosis block a la You tube, but there is no Check Engine light on my dash and only the preheat coil symbol flashes. I understand that the local Toyota main agent cannot read the diagnosis connection on cars as old as mine.  5 years ago I had the Factory installed Toyota 5000System II taken out after an attempted theft left me unable to cancel the alarm and the original key remotes had become dodgy. The car has been operating 100% reliably since then, until just now, and always been serviced and well looked after.
The problem has been trying to get the fault to happen when at the mechanic's workshop as it always starts perfectly when he is present. Today he asked me to get a new key cut without a transponder to see if there is a hidden immobiliser faulty reader. Sure enough when I tried this key the car wouldn't start. The car then wouldn't start with my three original transponder keys even after disconnecting and reconnecting the batteries and trying to reset the immobiliser. After waiting about 15 minutes and closing the bonnet and doors the car started. At least now I should be able to produce the fault in front of him.
My mechanic thinks that the issue could be that the black covered immobiliser valve on the fuel pump could be sticking and he intends to try to dismantle and check it providing it is not protected by anti tamper bolts etc.
I am new here and can't seem to find a similar problem that i have unless I have missed it in the posts. Please let me know if anyone has ideas or experience of a similar kind. I will of course keep you updated and let you know when we solve the issue.
Thank you all in advance. Chris.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 17:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Chris Wright

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking like it could be related to the !2 volt to 24 volt changeover relay.
Dave 2000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also live in Spain and an independent mechanic here in Aguilas, whilst it does sound like an immobiliser problem,I would have your mechanic remove the fuel plunger from the stop solenoid.  Of course you will need to stall it when you need to stop, But it does give you the chance to confirm whether it is the immobiliser or not as the engine should start every time.  The change over switch only changes voltage during cranking, the fusible links can be a problem as can the relay IIRC AM1?

Regards

Dave

Remember as an individual you are unique........................ just like everyone else.
Dave 2000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that should have read 'if there is an immobiliser'.

Regards

Dave

Remember as an individual you are unique........................ just like everyone else.
Chris Wright

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:47    Post subject: Landcruiser VX 4.2L 24V HDJ80R 1996 Intermittent Won't start Reply with quote

Dave 2000 wrote:
I also live in Spain and an independent mechanic here in Aguilas, whilst it does sound like an immobiliser problem,I would have your mechanic remove the fuel plunger from the stop solenoid.  Of course you will need to stall it when you need to stop, But it does give you the chance to confirm whether it is the immobiliser or not as the engine should start every time.  The change over switch only changes voltage during cranking, the fusible links can be a problem as can the relay IIRC AM1?

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave i am sorry for not replying or saying thank you for you responses but Im not very good with this forum stuff and have only just seen your reply. I will pass on your comments to my mechanic who has been suffering from ill health and now been able to work much lately.

I still have the problem and will keep you posted.

Thanks for your help

Chris
Dave 2000

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, as an asides where do you live in Spain, as I said I am on the south coast in Aguilas Murcia, get back to me if you do not get it started.

Regards

Dave

markjonesuk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i had the same problem
the garage just bypassed the immobiliser and put a live feed to the pump = no more problems ....... so faR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: