Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fog lights query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenharley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:36    Post subject: Fog lights query Reply with quote

Hello.

I own a 1997 Landcruiser, VX Amazon, series 80. I have a problem with the fog lights and hopefully somebody might be able to help?

The vehicle is fitted with a Toyota towbar assembly and a genuine Toyota trailer socket harness which is connected to the main harness which is under the vehicle jack storage area.

When not connected the fog lights work perfectly, but when the trailer harness is connected the fog lights stop working and a pin on the seven-pin trailer socket for the fog lights goes live.

The seven-pin socket does not have the 8th wiring connection and the Toyota trailer harness does not have the 8th wire to make the connection to the plug. So it would seem the system to switch the fog lights off for towing is achieved in another way, but in my case the moment the trailer harness is connected to the main harness activates this other switching system.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful to hear them.

Martin
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done a check to see if the right colour/designation wires are in the right positions in the socket, with no extras.
Which one/pin becomes live.? Off the top of my head it sounds as if someone has modified the connections/wiring for their own purposes to charge a leisure/auxiliary battery in a trailer/caravan, maybe, without going to the expense of installing a dedicated 12s system.
Apart from earth, all pins should only carry current when the designated item is switched on, I.e. lights, brake lights, indicators etc.on the towing vehicle.
The standard black 12n system is to power roadlights, brake lights, indicators etc, but a 12s system is for  battery charging and  powering a fridge on the move. 12n wiring is thinner than 12s, so I cant see that powering a fridge, but it MAY just keep a battery trickle charged via a suitable system.
Towbar wiring can throw up a multitude of problems when it is not wired to code or damp has ingressed.
As your system is functioning correctly in all other aspects, I would remove the socket and check it is wired to code, with no extras/ piggy backs introduced, as in a standard 12n system there is no dedicated live, so not sure where that is coming from on plugging in.
You are completely correct when you say on a later system, there is a number 8 which cuts off rear fogs on vehicle when plugged in, that is to reduce red glare off caravan/trailer in mirrors.
greenharley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Tractionman
Many thanks for your speedy and very helpful reply. I will follow up on your thoughts and will let you know how I get on (it might be a little while before I get to it).
Martin
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok mate, it's one of those PITA jobs with the weather this time of year. Good luck with it. 👍
Dave 2000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

You often find people use the crimp connectors that open up and with the wires in place they are pinched together with a pair of pliers.  The problem is the connector is aluminium, the wires are copper, add in some damp (LC 80 Jack area for example) and before you know it you have corrosion related connection problems.  Additional load (trailer) will bring about all sorts of weird results.

Regards

Dave

Remember as an individual you are unique........................ just like everyone else.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, the OP stated it had gen Toyota towing harness, so should be none of those *beep* scotchlock/crimp connectors, which I agree are not good. The gen. harness is plug in and housed inside, and in the jack cubby.
Dave 2000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have stated that people often 'hack' this area to add the second towing socket?  I do know where the connections are made, and the jack cubby hole is often found full of water, either way the results are same.

Regards

Dave

Remember as an individual you are unique........................ just like everyone else.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍 Dave, hack what area ? As you would know the 12n and 12s (the second towing socket) ? you refer to, are completely independant and seperate from each other in their functions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: