Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Landcruiser 100 I HD-FTE 4.2 Power Steering Leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 21:44    Post subject: Landcruiser 100 I HD-FTE 4.2 Power Steering Leak Reply with quote

Hi Guys....got a power steering problem! My 2001 LC sits on the drive and gets used every 3-4 weeks. Recently did a round journey of approx 200 miles and today saw some fluid drip marks under the front underpan. Yup - the deposit on the drive was a light, pink oil = power steering fluid (and the fluid reservoir dipstick showed a loss to my last check). A couple of years ago the power steering pipe at the pump banjo rusted thru and I got it brazed - leak stopped. Checked this (engine running, turn steering wheel) and no leak - but the whole area below and around the pump and the chassis below it was wet with PS fluid. Cleaned it all up, started engine, turned steering wheel - no leak visible anywhere! And all flex pipes to/from the pump were dry.
So I thought the pump might be leaking (240k miles) but on checking the on-line Toyota manual I saw that the P/S pump is bolted into the front of the engine and gear driven. Hence it cannot leak on the outside - there are no moving spindles with seals and no external apertures.
Having cleaned up everything I will take it out tomorrow to see if any seepage/leak can be seen . Short of that I am stumped  Confused . What have I missed? TIA    Brian
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 21:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

bigone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update....back underneath this morning, and after cleaning it all up yesterday, I saw a drip of fluid (plus more on the drive!) on the bottom and towards the back of the pump. Had another look at the exploded diagram of the pump and now realise that the workings are put into the pump body from the rear of the pump. Hence there[u] is [/u]a sealed plate (with shaft-supporting boss) inserted at the back of the pump - which must be sealed (a big 'O' ring) to the pump body! A bit more internet research reveals that a leak here is not unknown at high mileage. I must admit that I can't understand how an 'O' ring in this position can spontaneously leak - unless it hardens/shrinks with age or the backplate has loosened? Any thoughts greatly appreciated because the next step has to be to take the pump off!
bigone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the pump has to come off. Next...what to do?
- new pump  £ Shocked
- after market pump
- Exchange/refurb pump
- used
- or first get seal kit and see how easy it is to replace the seal at the back-end of the pump.

Anybody had any experience with after market pumps or rebuild companies? It seems that available after market ones are Chinese!
TIA,
Brian
steven.miles3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigone wrote:
So the pump has to come off. Next...what to do?
- new pump  £ Shocked
- after market pump
- Exchange/refurb pump
- used
- or first get seal kit and see how easy it is to replace the seal at the back-end of the pump.

Anybody had any experience with after market pumps or rebuild companies? It seems that available after market ones are Chinese!
TIA,
Brian

If it were me, I would NOT fit Chinese, first choice, I would fit new genuine seal kit Part number 0444660130, second choice, new genuine pump, from PartSouq or Amayama, check them out online if you ain't heard of them.
bigone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts...and so I previously progressed things as follows:
- quote for full seal kit from Toyota = £91 + VAT
- quote for pump rebuild = £200-340 plus VAT - none off-the-shelf; send away
- quote for new pump from Toyota ~£1000 + VAT  Shocked  Shocked
- e bay Chinese £133 all-up. Didn't like the idea of Chinese but did some internet research and found that a lot of Chinese automotive parts are used mainstream - pumps seemed to be considered generally OK.
So first take the pump off. A bit fiddly/messy but straightforward. My VX TD LC100 pump is gear driven from inside the timing case but slid out easily after undoing the two nuts.
Now, the pump body is a one-piece casting meaning that to do anything with the internal seals you need to take the back plate off to get the drive shaft, vane etc out. To do this you need to first take off the drive pinion. This is not held on with a nut and taper - from what I can see it is pressed on. Problem - how to get it off without damaging the pump housing. Bigger problem - how do you press it back in place to get the right drive gear mesh and be sure it is properly held in place and won't come off in the timing case( = Armageddon  Shocked ).
OK - my leak was on the bottom of the backplate so maybe I can get the seal that fits behind this? Yes, £4.60 plus VAT. That's better - inexpensive to try! Now the backplate is held in place and against this seal by a large, spring steel circlip without the normal circlip 'eyes' for compressing the clip and set in a groove. I could find no way of getting this circlip out of the groove to release the back plate. Every time I tapped the end (which is chamfered) with a small cold chisel it just moved round in its groove. I even tried to lever it up with a small flat blade - too strong - spent a good few hours getting nowhere! (Anybody have a way of getting this out and keeping your fingers? Confused )
Conclusion - changing any of the seals is impractical for a diy repair. So I have fitted the Chinese pump (seems ok at the moment) and intend to send the leaky one away for refurb and put it in stock!
Brian
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigone, I dont know much about 100' s, but Steves advice seems sound to me, usually best to go for gen.parts.especially in that area.
Having said that, I can see the logic in your thinking, with a 'temporary' Chinese part until yours is rebuilt.
Fingers crossed ! 😉
bigone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm generally uncomfortable with expensive parts from the other side of the world. Once you add postage, import duty and VAT the advertised price really goes up. Plus if you have a problem (eg sent wrong part, warranty etc) you are back into shipping, proving they received it and so on.
A UK Toyota parts supplier that I found sells Chinese pumps and says that, based on their experience, they are fit-for-purpose - although I am still nervous.
So the big potential issue is 'how could it fail?':
- seize up - given that it is pumping light oil all the time it shouldn't happen due to under-lubrication
- starts to leak - if it happens I will feed the pump ATF until I can change it (again!). Impromptu rust prevention for the underside  Very Happy
- drive pinion comes off. This could be disaster depending on where it ended up in the timing case. I manipulated and eye-balled the pinion to see if I was happy with the way it was sitting on the pump shaft. Not fool-proof but it was firmly set as far as I could tell. And its drive teeth were at the right angle and nicely cut (in comparison to the Toyota pump I had just removed).
I have been driving short journeys these last few days (put on new pump last weekend) to try it out and all is well so far.
Watch this space - a 1500 mile round trip is coming up soon!
Brian
bigone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - at the risk of tempting the gods I have now done a ~2k miles and no problems - except that the steering at low speeds is definitely heavier. After fitting the pattern pump I got some seepage at the seals either end of the rack but this now seems to have stopped - new pressure slightly reduced perhaps? Now need to get the original pump rebuilt 'just in case'
Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: